Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Photosmart B8550 printer. Lately, when I try to print something, it shuts down. It may shut down before it starts printing. I've tried unplugging it, but it still does it. When I unplug the cords off the back, it comes back on, but may shut down. If it doesn't, I try to print from my computer, but then it usually shuts down. Bottom line, is my printer a goner?

I use Windows 7.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi Curious53,

I understand you have a Photosmart B8550 that is shutting down pretty frequently. I will certainly do my best to help you with this.

I would recommend that you have a look through this The HP Printer Turns Off Repeatedly and hopefully some of the steps in that can help. Because your printer is an older one, if this doesn't help there isn't really much else I can suggest other than calling HP Tech Support for your area and inquire about the trade in and trade up program and hopefully they have something with a nice discount to offer you Smiley Happy

Hope this helps, have a great day!!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks so much MissTeriLynn!  I've talked to 2 repairmen that were too busy to look at my printer.  And I've been looking online for a solution (but found nothing that worked).  Your suggestion to unplug it from the power strip and plug it into a differnet outlet seems to have worked!  I've printed 3 pictures so far, and it hasn't shut down once!  I'm elated!  Again, MANY THANKS

HP Recommended

Hi Curious53,

That's great news! I'm glad that worked for you 🙂

I was just wondering if you would be able to mark my suggestion there as an Accepted Solution (if you're not sure how, click the words Accepted Solution in my signature and it will show you how)? That way if anyone else has this same problem they'll be able to find it more easily 🙂

Thanks for using the HP Forums, happy printing!!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I may have a solution.  I have had this same issue.  HP Photosmart B8550 will power on and then shut off after 20-sec to 1 minute.  I believe it is a power pack / brick issue.  HP uses a similar 32V DC power supply (with a similar plug into the back of the printer) with many other models.  After trying all recommended fixes I figured I would swap the power pack out with another unit that has the same plug and voltage rating.  I borrowed a power supply from an HP Officejet Pro 8500 and it completely solved the problem with the B8550 randomly shutting down.  FYI- The power supply that I borrowed from the Officejet Pro 8500 had a very very tiny little tab on the end of the connector that I had to cut off so it would fit into the Photosmart B8550.  So I suggest that if you have the same problem with your B8550, you might look online for a replacement power supply and try it.  Just a word of caution, I would not buy a used power supply as you might get someone elses problem.  Hope this helps someone out there.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.