Question

Top Student
Rainer
Message 1 of 17 (42,141 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Color LaserJet 2600N Windows7

Hi

I have a HP Color LaserJet 2600N in my LAN.

Currently I am installing my new PC with Windows7 but I can't install my printer.

What is the best way to solve this problem?

Thanks for help and hints.

Rainer

Top Student
Rainer
Message 2 of 17 (42,127 Views)

Re: HP Color LaserJet 2600N Windows7

Ok, the problem is solved.

Using the compatibillity funktion of W7 solved my problems.

Student
BBMFIC
Message 3 of 17 (41,562 Views)

How do I get my HP Color LaserJet 2600N to work with Windows7?  Anyone know the steps?
Student
offpath
Message 4 of 17 (40,641 Views)

HP has posted a USB-only driver *.exe file for Windows 7 x64: hp_CLJ_2600-HB-pnp-win64-en. This produces a (first) 2600n in w7's printer list. I could not successfully assign it a network port, and make it print a test page on the network.

The secret seems to be to force w7 x64 to install a SECOND (copy 1) 2600n printer, by creating a (new) tcpip port for the printer's address. This SECOND printer will print a test page via the network, using this (new) port.

I installed the USB printer only (no copy) & printed a test page via USB. Then, using the ports tab, I connected this "USB original" printer to an EXISTING tcpip port for the proper address (192.168.1.13). Big mistake. The "USB original" printer would accept the port when applied under printer properties>ports, but would create an error when sent the test page from the general tab. I then deleted everything, and reinstalled the USB printer from HP's *.exe file. This time, I asked that printer to create a NEW standard tcpip port for 192.168.1.13 (it became the 2nd or 3rd port to that address in my port list). When that port was created, a new "copy 1" of the printer appeared in Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers. "Copy 1" printed the test page normally via the network.

But the "USB original" printer still existed, in hiding. By going to "printer Properties" off the "copy 1" icon, one could chose it if one wanted to. I did, and set this "USB original" printer to the "new" 192.168.1.13 port, created for/by "copy 1". The USB original printer still failed to print via the "new" port.

Student
jmendoza
Message 5 of 17 (40,439 Views)

Re: creating a new port using IP address.  Additionally, on that dialog window,  I found that I had to switch from RAW to LPRN - then my networked 2600n finally printed.  
Tutor
MatthewGardner
Message 6 of 17 (40,227 Views)

This is what I have from HP Support:

Here are the printer drivers:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL10879/ly-31631-6/hp_CLJ_2600-HB-pnp-win32-en.exe

Use this software for first time USB installations only. Do NOT attach USB cable until prompted by the install program. Once you have successfully installed the driver using the USB cable, you can reconfigure the printer as a network printer using the Add Printer wizard.

For me personally I found that last past to be pretty vague...

i wrote a private message to Rainer who started this thread, but I got no response.

You gotta love people who once their problem is solved leave the rest of us hanging...

Way to go Rainer!!!  Instead of Kudos I wish I could drop bombs on you and make your printer stop working buddy...

Anyhoo:

I installed the HP2600n printer locally with the link HP sent me and waited until prompted to connect the usb cable...

Local install works perfect!  Was able to print a test page successfully...

I then disconnected the usb cable and rebooted just to be safe...

Now I went into start>devices and printers>add a printer... (Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit)

when i ran the wizard... the 2600n wasn't detected...

I thought I would be slick and I went over to the printer and went into the network settings to find out the address (192.168.1.4)

(press the green button once, right arrow twice, green button again once, right arrow once, green button, right arrow to change to manual... this will tell you the tcp/ip address of your printer....  make sure you hit the "x" button next to cancel and changes... you were just going here to get the address, not I repeat to make any changes)

I then went back to the printer wizard and manually chose to install over tcp/ip and entered the address....

Yay!!  I was able to find and connect to the 2600n and print a test page.

I then went back in and removed the local/usb 2600n printer so that I only have one 2600n (Copy 1) choice to print  (the other people who use this computer aren't all that smart...  wouldn't want to confuse them!!  LOL)

Works Perfectly!!  

Student
tricyrtis
Message 7 of 17 (39,368 Views)

you are the best. this (setting up 2 printers, 1 usb, the next as a new tcpip port) worked perfectly for us and was really really fast. thank you!!!!!

Student
angelranza
Message 8 of 17 (30,253 Views)

Where do I find the compatiblity function on W7?

Tutor
MatthewGardner
Message 9 of 17 (30,226 Views)

Windows 7 Compatibilty Center:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Let me know how it goes for you!

Student
poorsupport
Message 10 of 17 (28,960 Views)

this was of no help to me.   I am wasting hours of my time, or I have to pay 40 bucks?!?! to get tech support..Bye bye hp, hello new printer different company

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation