Question

Honor Student
Maggie0806
Message 1 of 4 (135 Views)

HP Deskjet 5160

[ Edited ]

HI,

I am stuck! Windows 7,  Printer stopped working, so I uninstalled it, then reconnected my USB and now there is a printer "HP Deskjet 5100" but it does not work, AND it does not have the "Remove"  option in the right click menu, like the other printers do, in the right click menu exclamation mark next to "Troubleshoot" but Troubleshoot does not show up any problems.

Can not find ANYWHERE on the internet to download the printer driver, as all sites indicate the drivers are already present on Windows 7 machine and it should auto- install when I connect USB cable.

When I uninstalled the original HP Deskjet 5160 printer, I clicked a checkbox "delete printer files" so I guess that the files are no longer on my machine for the Printer Drivers to be auto-installed on connection of USB. But where can I download them?!!

The Printer (says it is a HP Deskjet 5160 but windows 7 seems to recognise it as a Deskjet 5100 - same thing??) is not installed/configured properly but I can't uninstall  or remove it and can't find a driver to download!

I'm stuck, please help!

Thanks,

Maggie.

Grad Student
KukiMonster
Message 2 of 4 (123 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet 5160

Hi Maggie,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your printer. :smileysad:

I've found the link you might be looking for.  You can download the printer driver for Win 7 and please make sure

you select the right driver because for Windows 7, there's 32-bit and 64-bit.

If you're not sure which one it is, on your desktop, right click the 'Computer' icon and go to 'Properties'.

There, you'll be able to see under 'System Type' which bit you are using.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4062&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3044...

Hope this will help you solve your problem! :smileyhappy:

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
I work for HP, supporting the HP Experts who volunteer their time and technical knowledge to help others.
Honor Student
Maggie0806
Message 3 of 4 (88 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the response, KukiMonster, however in the link you posted there is nowhere to download the drivers, the link states:

"The drivers for your HP product are already included in the new Windows 7 operating system! You do not need to download drivers to use the product . Simply connect the printer to your computer with a USB cable, and Windows 7 automatically installs the driver for your product"

When I did this, it installed a driver for Printer deskjet 5100 with a status: Needs Troubleshooting. I ran Trouble shooting but it says "Can not find problem".  In the FAQ section of the  page you referenced above  - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02663702&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=304434 it advises I should remove the device and try again, but I   "Remove" function is not available for this Printer because it is in "Needs Toubleshooting" status. So I am stuck!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Maggie

Grad Student
KukiMonster
Message 4 of 4 (78 Views)

Hi Maggie,

Let's try removing all the driver files from your PC and install them fresh. First download the full driver and run it.

Then do the rest below.

To remove all the driver files here's how to do it:

If you've tried to install the full driver previously, then you will be able to find the extracted files in your PC.

I believe it should be here:

- Open Windows Explorer -> C:\ drive -> Users -> (Your Name or Account) -> AppData -> Local -> Temp

- Under 'Temp' click on every folder until you find the folder containing the driver installation files. Should be able to spot it by finding

this file: "DJ_AIO_03_F4200_webreg"

Once you've found the folder, go to 'util' -> ccc. Now click on the file "Uninstall.bat"

The uninstall program will run and be able to remove all the files from your PC. Make sure this runs smoothly with no errors.

In the case that you do run into one, go back to the folder and run these files one after the other:

- Uninstall_L1.bat

- Uninstall_L2.bat

- Uninstall_L3.bat

- Uninstall_L4.bat

The program will reboot after each file. So bear with it. :smileyhappy:

Once this is all complete, try installing the full driver again. 

Let me know how this goes. Fingers crossed!

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
I work for HP, supporting the HP Experts who volunteer their time and technical knowledge to help others.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation