Question

Student
2B1ASK1
Message 1 of 7 (6,984 Views)

HP Deskjet 6540 drivers for Windows 7

We have recently upgraded from XP to Windows 7.  We have followed all of the instructions on disconnecting and reconnecting the usb cables and trying to let Windows 7 detect and install the drivers but no success.  We tried installing the Windows updates and that did not solve the problem either.  Finally, we went into the devices & printers and add printer, and select HP but there are no drivers for the 6500 series.  We even inserted the Windows 7 disk and clicked on "HAVE DISK" and tried to find it on the Windows 7 but nothing.  Has any gotten this to install correctly or is there somewhere I can just download the drivers for this printer for Windows 7? 

Student
plan-sea
Message 2 of 7 (6,918 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet 6540 drivers for Windows 7

I am currently experiencing the exact issue. Hopefully we will get a response.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 7 (6,910 Views)

The Deskjet 6500 series drivers are delivered through Windows Update.  Windows Update must be enabled as described in this page.  You will need an internet connection and a version of Windows 7 that has been activated.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
hpcastro6540
Message 4 of 7 (6,851 Views)

For everyone that felt ditched by hp with the windows 7 driver for the deskjet 6540 I went manual to Add A Printer and used one model listed in the 6900 series. It will solve the problem since you will lose some functions anyway because you don't have an official upgrade from hp (please hp if you are there anywhere do us justice). It is a fine printer and mine is like new since 2004 more or less.

Student
colo3fan
Message 5 of 7 (6,839 Views)

Bob is no "expert"....probably sitting in his apartment wishing he really did have a life...meanwhile an HP 6540 is junk with Windows 7...

Student
calibratto
Message 6 of 7 (1,235 Views)

I am having a really hard time with my printer since I started using my new laptop with WIN7. Its frustrating to say the least. HP Deskjet 6540 is such classical printer with the highest ink efficiency so far but if HP can't resolve this single crisis, the I'm ashamed they've lost one customer.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 7 of 7 (1,231 Views)

calibratto wrote:
I am having a really hard time with my printer since I started using my new laptop with WIN7. Its frustrating to say the least. HP Deskjet 6540 is such classical printer with the highest ink efficiency so far but if HP can't resolve this single crisis, the I'm ashamed they've lost one customer.

What exactly is the issue you are having?  Did you install the Windows Update driver as I described above?   Running the driver install wazard at http://www.hp.com/go/tools may help resolve the issue.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation