12-16-2009 11:08 PM
I recently purchased an HP Pavilion desktop computer. It is running Windows 7 and, so far the computer is great.
However when I proceeded to set-up my HP Deskjet 850c printer to run off of this computer, I see that there is no driver available for this particular printer. I purchased a parallel to USB cord, as parallel is the only output on this printer.
If there is no driver available for the 850c, are there drivers that could be substituted to serve as the 850c's driver.
Read in an old post that the HP500C/HP500C driver does work, but does not print colour exactly as is. I have not tried this driver yet, but does anyone have any other advice for running my 850c? This printer has never given me a problem and I have used it for almost 15 years (!!). This printer is what has lead me to believe that HP is a solid brand and name. Just look at how long the Deskjet 850c has lasted.
12-17-2009 11:17 AM
For the Deskjet 850 I would suggest trying the Deskjet 870 then the Deskjet 660c if the 870 has issues. Select the Windows Update box in the "Add Printer" section if these printers are not offered in the list.
Bob Headrick, HP Expert
I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.
If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V
If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V
02-10-2010 05:30 PM
I have the same trouble, during many years I installed the HP 850c from windows 98 and XP installation disks and never had to think about that.
I think there is a good probability that our 850c would work with XP drivers if we had the .inf file ;
Unfortunately it is not available in the HP site, it looks like it is a way to force people like us who have an old printer to buy a new one ; This is a greed market that does not look back .
02-12-2010 07:13 AM
I looked for .inf on Google and downloaded wtsuprn.inf which supposedly is the driver I need;
This is what the system seeks and I will provided it;
If it does not work then I will try to install as your suggested.
02-19-2010 11:15 AM - edited 02-19-2010 11:17 AM
I am currently using driver HP840c/841c/842c/843c for my HP Deskjet 850c printer with Windows 7. Looking at some of the pages I have printed, colour and text seems to appear as it should. The only problem is that any print job is preceded by one page with the following text printed at the top "@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=PCL3GUI". This extra page is an annoyance but one that can be dealt with. I also tried the driver Deskjet 870 and have similar results as the previously mentioned driver. The driver Deskjet 660c did not work as text was printed super enlarged.
Would still love to have a driver for my 850c. It's still a great printer and I still have high hopes that HP can accommodate us 850c owners.
03-05-2010 09:09 PM
03-07-2010 08:02 PM
I got the HP 840c driver by updating the drivers that are available from Windows 7.
1. Click the Start and then choose the Control Panel option.
2. The Control Panel window opens up. Click Device and Printer.
3. The Device and Printer window opens up with the list of all external devices and printer.
4. Click Add a printer to add new printer.
5. Click Add a local printer.
6. Click Next.
7. Click Have Disk to install Printer Driver. Browse driver location and click Ok.
8. At the Add Printer, click Windows Update. This should download all drivers, including the HP 840c/841c/842c/843c.
Hope this helps.
P.S. I am still hoping for that HP 850c driver!
03-07-2010 09:44 PM
- HP Printers - Installing Your Printer Driver Using the Windows Built-in Solution
- Download and Install Your Windows HP Printer Driver and Software for a USB Cable Connection
- HP Printers - Installing a Mac Printer Driver Using Apple Software Update
- HP Printers - Download and Install a Mac HP Printer Driver and Software
- HP All-in-One Printers - Driver Support for Linux OS