Question
HP Deskjet D1660 problems!!!
Replies (48)

Honor Student
mechaman
Message 41 of 49 (2,369 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet D1660 problems!!!

I've had the same problems. Finally, after going into [My Computer} and accessing [Manage} and the Printer tab, I cleared the spooler and got it to print out. However, this is unacceptable on any level for any printer. Printers are supposed to PRINT, without a lot of backflips to get them to do it. I once said that my old Dell/Lexmark was junk, but it DID print on a regular basis, without having to get too technical.

Note to HP management ... even products sold as 'loss leaders' are supposed to WORK PROPERLY.

If I can solve the problem of this printer, fine, we'll keep it until it's obsolete. If I have to reinstall it again, that's the end of it. 

Student
teachermanelyn
Message 42 of 49 (2,322 Views)

Hi! I also have problem with my HP deskjet D1660  printer. The button light always links.  I restarted it for how many times and I also tried to hold it for 5-10 seconds. still it blinking continues. I even remove it from the plug etc. What shall I do? thank you

Student
rf_18
Message 43 of 49 (2,143 Views)

same problem described, windows 7 ultimate. tried the solutions indicated in this post with no luck. shouldn't hp official support give an answer to this problem?

Student
timonviper
Message 44 of 49 (1,931 Views)

I am having the same problem and did the same thing, bought new printer and it is doing the same thing

Top Student
bg048
Message 45 of 49 (1,917 Views)

Uncheck Enable Bidirectional on the Ports tab of Printer Properties.   I had the same problem

and found that this solved it.

Student
IRSPEARS
Message 46 of 49 (1,450 Views)

I was about to throw the printer out because it would not release from the queue and print the documents.  it only did it after i had switched the PC off & then back on again - then it printed.

Disenabled bi-directional and ok now!

Tutor
MeuhusTwo
Message 47 of 49 (1,339 Views)

The model number HP Deskjet D1660.

Method 1:
You may refer to the below links and use the troubleshooters. Check if it lists and helps resolve any issues: Open the Printer troubleshooter:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&tmp_geoLoc=true&product=38110...

Method 2:
You may check if you have the latest drivers installed for the device. You may refer to the below link for getting the latest drivers and check.
HP Deskjet D1660 Driver

Good Luck..

Student
eriehml
Message 48 of 49 (1,135 Views)

I had same problems described in this forum.  My solution involded two different posts that I summarize below:

1. -I just restarted my computer, (plugging in the printer's USB cord in first), and the printer installed itself without the need for the CD. and now works!

2.- On Windows 7.  Go to "Devices and Printers" Right click on HP 1600 (or 1660) click on Printer Properties and go to Ports tab once in there at the bottome you must uncheck "Enable Biderectional Support".  No checks remember that.

Voila!  This thing now works.  I guess HP wanted to make me sweat the $30 I paid for it.

Cheers.

Student
david78209
Message 49 of 49 (83 Views)

Great comment! 

"Note to HP management: even loss leaders should work properly."

I almost wonder if HP is deliberately ignoring this problem, to get back at us for buying something they lost money on.

I think it's a software problem.  I had difficulty installing mine on an old Dell Laptop running Windows XP.  Finally I found a "fix" that involved editing the Windows registry to replace a registry key that apparently gets discarded when the HP installation process does the "cleaning up old drivers" part.  It worked!  That was the first time I ever had the nerve to try editing the registry, and it was only because the laptop in question was a rather beat-up fossil that I wouldn't have minded junking. 

But now I've switched to a newer, nicer laptop that runs Windows 7, and that I won't take that kind of chance with.

The next time I buy a printer, I expect I'll look for a brand other than HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation