Question

Tutor
sueends
Message 1 of 49 (25,394 Views)

HP Deskjet D1660 problems!!!

I was having problems printing on my old printer. Bought a new on HP D1660. I have loaded and unloaded the software 3 times trying to get it to work. I have trouble trying to print. Print job gets hung up and will not print. When I try to cancel print job it shows it is deleting eternally. I have to go into services and discontinue the print spooling and continue it again and try all kinds of stuff just to get the document to cancel. Then my document will print from Word (maybe one time before it gets hung up again) and will not print from Works at all. I have not tried any other applications yet.  I think this might be a problem with the Vista instead of the printer since both my printers are doing the same thing. I have tried the HP guided solutions and there is no solution for my problem. I followed all of the steps several times. Sometimes my printer toolbar will flash refreshing and sometimes it will flash offline and I check the offline options and it says it is online. Can anyone help me I really need my printer?

Thanks for your time

Sue

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 2 of 49 (25,386 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet D1660 problems!!!

Hi, how many printers do you installed on your computer?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
If my answer was helpful click the “Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks”!
I am not a HP employee.
Tutor
sueends
Message 3 of 49 (25,382 Views)

I have 2 installed. I only have one plugged in and have the one plugged in set as my default.

Tutor
sueends
Message 4 of 49 (25,380 Views)

the other one I kept installed because it is my scanner, copier and fax. But, I do not have it plugged in to the computer at this time.

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 5 of 49 (25,375 Views)

Hi, can you delete the D1660 printer from the Device & Printers menu.

Unplug the D1660 from the computer.

Plug in the D1660, ignore the Windows pop-up.

Go to Device Manager and find the printer under Other Devices.

Right-clicked on it and selected Update Driver Software from the options menu.

Let Windows to browse for the driver on the HP CD.

Use the USB port for the printer.

Is there no printer on the scanner, copier and fax?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not a HP employee.
Tutor
sueends
Message 6 of 49 (25,363 Views)

Thanks so much for your time. Do you mean delete my printer from my computers/printers? Then, when I go to device manager the only printer shown is IEEE 1248.4 compatible printer.  I have no "other devices" category.

Tutor
sueends
Message 7 of 49 (25,362 Views)

And yes there is a printer on the fax etc.. but I bought a new/simple printer because I thought the old one was messed up and this one actually fits in my space easier.

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 8 of 49 (25,350 Views)

Hi, after deleting the D1660 from the  Devices & Printers what happens when you unplug and plug it back in?

I am not a HP employee.
Tutor
sueends
Message 9 of 49 (25,374 Views)

Nothing

Tutor
sueends
Message 10 of 49 (25,373 Views)

And the printer is still stuck on "deleting" (cancel print job) from yesterday. It gets hung up on the cancel print job. If I try to print 3 or so jobs the latter 2 will cancel fine but the first print job will always get hung up on canceling. Then I have to go into printer spooling and deactivate it and reactivate it and unplug the printer from the computer and sometimes that will cancel the job and sometimes it won't. Then I might be able to print 1 thing and it will hang up again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation