Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP Deskjet Series 2540 will not connect to my Lenovo Laptop and allow me to print. I have installed the driver software (and uninstalled/reinstalled again) and restarted my laptop multiple times too. When finishing the installation process it asks me to plug in the USB cable to connect the printer, however, it either doesn't recognise that the USB is connected (even though the computer makes a sound identifying something being plugged into the port) or sometimes it starts out like it is connecting and then says there is a problem with the USB connection and can not connect. I would think it were something with the cable, but it connected fine to my friend's laptop just the other week. Any help much appreciated, thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Welcome to the forums Han_ Smiley Happy

I saw your post about your Deskjet 2540 not connecting via USB to your laptop. I will do my best to help!

You can try plugging the USB in to a different port on your laptop or even try another USB cable. If you are using any adapters, try avoiding them to see if that helps.

If possible, try connecting the printer wireless on your network to see if that will work.

If you do not wish to try a wireless install, please let me know which operating system you are running and I will write back with more suggestions.

Help to find which Operating System you are running:
Which Windows Operating System am I running?
Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?

Happy TuesdaySmiley Happy

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi again, thank you for your message.

I have already tried all of your suggestions and unfortunately none of them appear to work. I also can now not seem to uninstall the software properly to try reinstalling it- comes up with an error box every time i try. 
My laptop runs windows 7.

HP Recommended

Hello again Han!

As you are now having issues with uninstalling the printer, I would like for you to just check on the printer itself by making a copy or two, just to be safe that the printer is not in an error state.

If the copies are working fine, please run this Microsoft tool on your computer to help remove the printer.

Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled

Good luck and keep me updated on the results!

Have a great weekend:)

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I'm also having a problem connecting the printer to my desktop acer computer.

I use Windows Vista, and after installation of the software I made sure that the printer was set as my Default Printer.

I've tried using the USB cable which came with the printer, which didn't work, and I've also tried the USB cable which I used on my old printer.   That wouldn't work either.   I've tried both cables in different ports on the computer, but to no avail.

I've just done a copy  with the printer, and that worked fine.

I'm not very au fait when it comes to this sort of problem, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi there @Milliecat, welcome to the forumsSmiley Happy

I read through your post about the troubles you are having with connecting your printer to your Windows Vista PC, via USB connection.

I am looking for some more information from you, to help me better research the issue and determine which troubleshooting steps I should recommend for your issue specifically.

1. Do you have the Deskjet 2540 or a different model of printer?

How Do I Find My Model Number?

2. When you run the installation disk or download, what exactly are the errors or issues you see happen during the installation? (If you could send me a screen shot of the error, that would be a bonus).

3. Have you tried to install the printer on your PC using a different connection method, such as Ethernet or Wireless?

4. In the meantime, try running the Print and Scan Doctor tool which may fix the problem. If there is a more serious issue, the tool will alert you to it. Please let me know the results or send a screen shot!

Have a wonderful Friday!Smiley Happy

Hope to hear from you!

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi Rainbow, and thanks for replying.   Here are the answers to your questions:

1.  Yes.  Deskjet 2540, bought a few days ago.

2. The issue that happens is that when I get to Stage 3 of the installation and opt to connect via USB; there is a box on the screen showing me a diagram of the printer and computer,  and it tells me to connect the USB cable to both.   When I do this, nothing happens, and I can't go any further.

3.  I thought I might try a wireless connection, but the first instruction is to connect the printer to the computer, which doesn't work.  :indifferent:

4.   I 've just run the Print and Scan Doctor and this is the result ...

Software Stations  -  Installed

Communicating - Fix Printing

Test Print

Test Print did not Print

Test Print internal test page  

The page printed OK. but then the next box read 'there is a problem that cannot be fixed with this tool etc.

I've left the next options for now, as I don't know whether to download 'the most current Full Feature Software' etc. or uninstall everything and start again.

N.B.  I bought the computer through Amazon, and on reading some of the reviews for this product today, one purchaser said that the printer wouldn't connect to his 'old' desktop computer, but worked fine with his laptop.

Perhaps that's the problem?

My computer is an acer M464, about 6 years old.  :Crying:

HP Recommended

Hi Milliecat!

Thanks very much for getting back to me with all of your information, all of it really helps!Smiley Happy

So the printer is not being found when you're installing the printer via USB connection, which could possibly mean there is something blocking the connection between the printer and PC. If you are using a desktop PC, make sure the printer's USB is plugged into the back of the tower and not the front of the tower, which is made for smaller devices.

Next, I would suggest trying:

1. Unplug the USB cable
  2. Uninstalling the Printer Software
  3. A Clean Boot
  4. Restart the PC
  5. Disable your Firewall and/or Anti-Virus.
  6. Download and run the installation again (HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers
  7. Make sure you wait until the installation prompts you to plug in the USB to the PC during installation.
  8. Re-enable your Start Up programs using the clean boot instructions and enable your firewall and anti virus.

If you see any issues or errors, please write me back with the results and I will continue looking into this for you!

Have a great day!

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks again for your reply, and your suggestions, and yes, the USB is plugged into the back of the tower.

It's now 7.20pm here, and I don't really have enough time at the moment to do everything else that you suggested.

I'll have a go over the next couple of days, and get back to you afterwards.

Thank you.

Have a good weekend.   :generic:

HP Recommended

Methinks that the HP techy guys who designed this completely fudged up with the usb cable because everyone's getting the same problem and the helpers are saying 'turn it on and off again/is it plugged it?' 😕
Be honest, would we be better off buying a random cable from Ebay?? 😕

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.