Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 100 color MFP M175
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have the HP LaserJet 100 color MFP M175 PCL6 since one year and it operated always properly.

Its connected via USB.

But now I cannot start HP Device Toolbox anymore when I start it via Start > Programs > HP etc. 

I see shortly some flashes on my desktop but the program does not start. I get an error window in Dutch saying: "Error Cannot connect to printer. Check printer connection and try to restart HP Device Toolbox".

I can acces HP Device Toolbox only by entering the IP adress of the printer in the webbrowser.

I can print and scan normally.

I uninstalled all the HP software and reinstalled the software and drives but this does not help.

Who can help?

Thanks in advance.

Joep

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi @Joep123 ,

I see that you are having issues opening the Toolbox. You have already uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software. I would like to help you out today.

Restart the computer.

Temporarily turn off the Antivirus Software, just to rule out any interference.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet and the USB cable is connected directly to the computer. The USB cable shouldn't be longer then 6 feet. Try another USB port on the computer. Just to rule out any communication issues, even though you can most likely print by the USB connection.

You can always restore your computer back to a earlier time when everything was working properly if you are still having issues opening the Toolbox. It might have been a update that caused this issue, since uninstalling and reinstalling the software isn't allowing the software to work either.

System Restore for Windows 7.

Download and run the Print and Scan Doctor. It will diagnose the issue and might automatically resolve it. Find and fix common printer problems using HP diagnostic tools for Windows?

What were the results when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor? (did it print or scan, any error messages)

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a great day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

-USB cable is just 2m

-I tried other USB port: same problem

-HP Print and Scan doctor: all checkmarks are OK, print and scan is working fine, no errors reported.

-Disable AV: same problem.

-Restore to previous point in W7: I cannot do, this is giving an error always. dont know why.

But, running the HP uninstaller should remove everything isnt it? But I see many files and folders of HP/Hewlet Packet related to my printer remain on my PC??

Why isnt removing the installation cleaning up all HP stuff from the computer?

Isn there another tool that really removes everything so I can make a clean reinstall?

Thanks in advance.

Joep

HP Recommended

Hi,

In device manager I see some yellor markers at

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter#2

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter#4

Microsoft Teredo Tunneling-adapter

Can this be of any influence on the problem?

Best regards

HP Recommended

Hi Joep123,

There might be a scrubber on the CD that you can run.

Open the files on the CD/utility folder/scrubber.

Make sure the printer USB cable is disconnected.

The other way would be to edit the registry for any printer files.

Please back up the registry before making any changes. How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

I can send you that information in a private message.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunatelly these steps did not solve the problem.

What I did:

1) disconnect USB cable, and printer switched off.

2) run the scrubber from CD

3) edit the registry by deleting all the Laserjet items as described in the email.

4) restart PC

5) enable the Administrator account in the CMD window.

6) restart PC with the new Admin account.

7)switched printer On and connect USB cable and (manually) runned the Autorun installer.

The printer is working properly but the HP Device Toolbox application is not starting.

Only via the webbrowser I can  run it.

So the problem is not fixed...

HP Recommended

Hi @Joep123,

Too bad the System Restore didn't work, I have seen this type of issues after some updates were ran on the computer.

I would disable all the start up programs and temporarily turn off the Antivirus Software to see if there is a program interfering in the back ground. How to use MSCONFIG . Click on the start up tab and click disable all.

Try and open the Toolbox Software again.

Are you getting any error messages?

If you are still having issues, try the following steps please:

Update the printer's firmware. HP LaserJet Pro Series Firmware Update Utility

I would download and install the full driver, instead of using the Smart Install on the printer.

HP LaserJet Pro Series Full Solution Software and Driver.

If you have another computer, run the install on it to see if you have the same results.

Please let me know the results.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi,

I disabled the Virusscanner and all the other startup items in MSconfig.

Then reboot.

Problem with HP Devcie Toolbox was still there.

Then updating the printer firmware with M170_colorMFP_Series_FW_Update-20140618.exe was succesfull but, problem with HP Devcie Toolbox was still there.

Then I runned that new installer CLJ_MFP_M175_N_sw_win_full_solution-acf.exe    but this was not succesfull. It took relatively long and at 99% progress (at the USB connection tab) I got an error saying  that it took to long and that a fatal error was occured. I needed to restart the pc.

So the problem is still not solved. (did not try another pc)

HP Recommended

Hi Joep123 ,

Sorry that you are still having issues. Now the full software won't install all the way.

Run the uninstall again.

Then run the installation, immediately after connecting the USB cable, follow the steps in this document to update the drivers so it doesn't error out again. A Fatal Error Displays During Software Installation. Then the installation should continue.

Again I would disable all the Startup items and turn off any Antivirus Software.

Let me know how you make out.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi,

I executed these steps exactly as described.

Now after installing the driver via Device Manager (directly after USB plugin) the full sw installer finished succesfully.

But, unfortunatelly the problem with the HP Device Toolbox not starting, is not solved...

I tried the whole procedure twice but without succes.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.