Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

This issue has been giving me fits.  I have spent hours on google, trying many things to fix it, and I still can't.  The All-in-One is an Officejet J6480, connected to a router with an ethernet cable.  All computers on the network can use it just fine, except for one.  The computer in question is a Vista 32bit machine, that for the longest time had intermittent uses, usually fixed by restarting the printer and/or the computer.  In between that, the frequent Solution Center crash.  I decided to start from scratch with the software.  I ran the uninstaller for the Officejet 6400 series software, and it was going fine until the uninstaller crashed "HP Installer Uninstaller has stopped working".  On the progress bar, it got to Software\Microsoft\Active Setup when the crash occured.

I tried running the L4 uninstaller with the cleaner tool.  Got to the same point and crashed.  Every single time.  I found some information on these forums about using Revo Uninstaller.  Uninstalled in advanced mode, cleared out all the remnants it found, and restarted after cleaning my Temp files.  Tried the L4 Uninstaller again to clean out the rest, stopped at the exact same point.

I tried just re-installing the software, and for about a week it seemed fine, even up until yesterday, but then inexplicably after printing a few times without issue, I could simply not get anything to print until I rebooted the printer, and then I would get to print one, maybe two things before it would stop again.  I open solution center, and instead of showing all of the usual functions (scan, etc.) there were only two, and not only that ink levels weren't displaying.  I read that it was flash related.  I go to adobe, download latest flash version, try again.  This time it looks like it's trying to install something, and then throws up an error code about an unregistered module with a path for a file that I recognize as flash.  Try to uninstall again, crashes at Active Setup.  L4 crashes in the same place.  Revo didn't fix it.  I'm at a complete loss.  How can I get past this so I can completely uninstall everything and start from scratch?

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Are you using a HP computer or a non-HP computer? I have a list of steps that might help with getting the L4 to work right, but if you are using an HP computer, it will remove important files necessary for your computer to run correctly. 

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Non-HP computer.

HP Recommended

Try the following steps to remove all HP files and then reinstall the software.

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete.  In XP this will open the Task Manager.  In later versions of Windows, this will bring up a systems list and you will have to choose to run the Task Manager.

2. Click on the Process tab, and make sure no HP processes are running.

3. Run disk cleanup on your computer

4. Download and run the software and drivers below.

HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Driver

5. Once the download is done extracting, cancel the download.

6. Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard to bring up the run menu.

7. Type %temp% in the run field, and click OK.

8. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

9. Open folder Util

10. Open folder CCC

11. Run the uninstall_ L4.bat

12. When the uninstall process has completed, restart the computer.

13. Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard to bring up the run menu.

14. Type %programfiles% in the run field and click OK.

15. Delete any HP/Hewlett Packard folders.

16. Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard to bring up the run menu.

17. Type %programfiles(x86)% in the run field, and click OK.  This is for 64 bit systems only.  32 bit systems should not have this folder.

18. Delete any HP/Hewlett Packard folders.

19. Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard to bring up the run menu.

20. Type %appdata% in the run field, and click OK.

21. Delete any HP/Hewlett Packard folders.

22. Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard to bring up the run menu.

23. Type %programdata% in the run field.  This is for Windows Vista and higher only.  Windows XP and lower should not have this folder.

24. Delete any HP/Hewlett Packard folders.

25. Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard to bring up the run menu.

26. Type regedit in the run field.

27. Delete any HP/Hewlett Packard folders or keys that you find.

28. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

29. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads​.html

30. Use this tool to clean the system and registry.  Note: This utility is not HP sponsored or approved.  HP and I are not responsible for damages or loss of data caused by the utility.  This step is optional.   You can skip it if you want.

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare/3000-2086_4-10407614.html?part=dl-6271865&subj=dl&tag=b...

31. Download the full feature software and drivers below.

32. Run the download to reinstall the printer.

Best of luck,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  I went through the steps, but when I tried to install I got a fatal error during installation.  The details from the error are:

CHPSUDialog::ReportToolSession() failed

Launch base not found. In datfile="X:\hpwins.dat" and sectionname="SUI.OPTIN".

Error opening key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\Install\{15262012-213A-4f65-9019-C8A409EC0156}. error=2

LaunchApp(X:\hpqtra08.exe -shutDown,1,00000000,00000000) failed with 2

Error message received: Module X:\flash9b.ocx failed to register.

HRESULT -2147220473. Contact your support personnel.

Error message received: Module X:\hpqdummy.dll failed to register.

HRESULT -2147220473. Contact your support personnel.

It's going to remove the failed installation, and reboot.  I'll try install again after and see what happens.

HP Recommended

Try and get the fatal error number for me. To do so, use the following steps.

Click on your start button or windows icon, and type "Event Viewer", without quotation marks, in the search box and press enter.

When the Event Viewer opens, on the left, expand "Windows logs" and select "Application."

In the middle frame, find the most recent error from HP, with HP as the "Source". If you want to sort by alphabetical order, just click "source" and you can locate HP easier that way if you are having issues finding it.

Click the error entry. The details will be down in the general tab below.

In those details, you should see the 4 digit error code that I need.

Post that in here and I'll see if I can find a solution for you.

Best of luck,

Kyle

Signature
HP Recommended

The most recent error was from MsiInstaller, with the following:

"Product: SolutionCenter -- Error 1904. Module C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9b.ocx failed to register. HRESULT -2147220473. Contact your support personnel."

Also found:

"Product: SolutionCenter -- Error 1905. Module C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Product Assistant\Bin\hpqscprefhelper.dll failed to unregister. HRESULT -2147220472. Contact your support personnel."

"Faulting application HPZscr01.exe, version 10.0.0.76, time stamp 0x472fff3b, faulting module HPZscr01.exe, version 10.0.0.76, time stamp 0x472fff3b, exception code 0xc000000d, fault offset 0x0005d287, process id 0x1f5c, application start time 0x01ce3f8636eb7783."

"Product: DocMgr -- Error 1904. Module C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\help\hpqdummy.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147220473. Contact your support personnel."

Those are the ones I found that were flagged as errors.  Hopefully these will hold some clues.  Thank you for your efforts thus far!

HP Recommended

Alright, here is what we need to do.

1. Disconnect the USB cable from both the printer and the computer.

2. Turn the printer on. 

3. Go to the following link and download the file located there. 

Resolves "Access is denied" error during software installation.

4. After it has downloading, double-click it to run it. Click ok and it will scan the registry and try to resolve any errors that may be causing this. When it has completed, click done.

5. Go ahead and reboot your computer now and leave the printer disconnected.

6. Once the computer is back up, download and run the following software for your printer.

7. Do not connect the USB cable until the software asks you too, or it will cause issues. 

Try that and let me know if that resolves your issue!

Best of luck,

Kyle

Signature
HP Recommended

Do you have a link to a version that will work with Vista 32bit?  I try to run it and it says it's only for XP/2000.

HP Recommended

I thought it might be compatible, I was unable to locate the file on the HP website for Vista. The fatal error document didn't have a correct link in it. I believe it has to do with them re-designing the website not too long ago and some things must have gotten lost in the process. I had to search google to find that link. I did another google search, and here is the only one that I found that claims that it is compatible with Vista, although the file name is the same. 

http://hp.driversdown.com/Download.asp?ID=19743&Url=ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software4/COL9076/o...

Please note, this is not an HP website that is hosting this file. If you wan't to give it a shot, that is up to you. 

Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.