Question

Student
SFSnowboarder
Message 1 of 6 (6,238 Views)

HP J4680 Scan to PDF file size too big, any way to reduce?

My old scanner  HP4215 used to be able to scan a page to pdf at 200dpi and the file size would be about 75kb/page.    My new HPJ4680 however seems to only allow me to scan at 300dpi, which takes longer, and the file size is about 400kb/page.   Any way to reduce this file size and allow it to scan faster?    It is insane when a 4 page .pdf file becomes 1.2-1.5MB

Master's Graduate
kikokixz
Message 2 of 6 (6,223 Views)

Re: HP J4680 Scan to PDF file size too big, any way to reduce?

hi,

You need to launch the HP SOLUTION CENTER program to edit the scan resolution. Kindly check on your desktop if see the hp solution center icon, and then open the program. Im not sure the specific location where to find the setting, but you can try checking this from the settings icon of the hp solution center. Just make sure to hit the apply button after making some changes.

hope that would help. :smileyhappy:

Kiko
Student
erixitil
Message 3 of 6 (5,946 Views)

Yes, there's the option too select a lower resolution, however it doesn't take any effect and I get too large pdf files (around 650 kb). Isn't it possible too scan too a lower resolution of 300dpi? ( and i want to make clear that I can select that in the drop down, but doesn't have a real effect, as files keep being large)

thanks,

Student
yuribud
Message 4 of 6 (5,674 Views)

I got exactly the same problem with J4580. I scan 2 page doc on my 7 years old 4215 AiO and getting about 300K file. The same doc I scan on J4580 and getting 1.7Mb. Spent about 2 hours with tech support and got no solution except they applogize for inconvenience. Is this a joke? Techology should become better in 7 years rather than worse. I'm really disappointed with HP.

Student
cmcullen
Message 5 of 6 (5,392 Views)

I have the same problem and it is SO FRUSTRATING. Never buying an HP again.

Honor Student
Dennis_Nichols
Message 6 of 6 (3,864 Views)

Scan from the desktop, not from the scanner's hardware menu. I have found that initiating the scan from the AiO printer produces a file 50 times the size I get when scananing from the HP Device Manager software.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation