Question

Honor Student
cyskim
Message 1 of 10 (2,337 Views)

HP Laserjet p1102w - after firmware upgrade / Smart Install update - down to 1MB free memory

Hello,

I have a Laserjet p1102w running off a laptop with Windows 7 64-bit. Just bought the printer this month.

After updating the firmware to 20120814 version and updating the SmartInstall update utility for the 20120814 version as well, I am now down to 1 MB free memory (out of 8MB originally). [Another LJ p1102w updated prior to these updates has 3MB free memory.]

Because I have 1MB free memory, the printer is almost a brick. It can print simple text based pages - however, printing any page with a graphic or a PDF file will cause the printer to take forever to receive data - essentially preventing printing a page on  my new printer (while printing the same page instantaneously on my older nonupdated p1102w).

Is there any way to fix this problem, given there is no memory upgrade option? Otherwise, this printer is a brick.

Thank you in advance for a reply - especially from HP.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 10 (2,295 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet p1102w - after firmware upgrade / Smart Install update - down to 1MB free memory

Hi cyskim,

Did you tried turning the printer off and on after updating the firmware? This should clear its memory, including any memory may affected during the firmware upgrade proccess .

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
cyskim
Message 3 of 10 (2,277 Views)

Re: HP Laserjet p1102w - after firmware upgrade / Smart Install update - down to 1MB free memory

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I'm pretty sure I did. However, I did manage to return the printer and exchange it for a new one - it has the 20110826 firmware. There is only 2MB of available memory, and it does work. Older versions of the same printer I have access to has 3MB (and based on forums - even older versions have more available memory).

However, I'm not sure if it's updating the firmware or updating SmartInstall that's eating up the available memory. I think while the SmartInstall is an interesting idea - the P1102w needs 16MB (or more) of printer memory - it eats up a lot of available memory.

I'm honestly scared to try updating this because I'm afraid to brick this printer - although I suspect this would be covered by the warranty.

Is there any way to prevent this?

Thank you,

Chris Kim

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 4 of 10 (2,217 Views)

HP Laserjet p1102w - after firmware upgrade / Smart Install update - down to 1MB free memory

I'm doing some testing on the P1102w right now. I'll let you know what I find.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 5 of 10 (2,201 Views)

I updated a P1102w that we have here to firmware version 20120814 and haven't had any problems with it. I set a static IP and set the DNS to a preferred of 8.8.8.8 and an alternate of 8.8.4.4, and haven't had a problem with anything from a Windows system. I ran into a problem printing from Safari on a Mac running OS 10.8, but that was the only program with the problem. I even turned the printer off and back on several times to make sure the IP settings would stick, and they have. If you've done that and are still having problems, try power cycling your entire network. I'll link a document that will help to get the printer on the network steadily below. If you are still in warranty, HP may replace the printer at no cost to you. I'll link the information to get in touch with them below. The link will take you to a form to fill out. Once you fill it out and it is processed, it will give you the printers warranty information, a case number, and the phone number to call.

Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection:
http://goo.gl/YoJ7g

HP Technical Support Case Call Form:
http://goo.gl/w7Hgh
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Honor Student
cyskim
Message 6 of 10 (2,193 Views)

Hi there,

Thank you for looking into this. I have a couple of questions from your work before I update my new printer:

1) How much free memory is in the 1102w after you updated the firmware?

2) Did you also run the latest  SmartInstall update as well (version 20120814)? I think this may have been the program that caused decreased free printer memory and could have "bricked" my older printer.

If you did, how much free memory did you have, and were you able to print any documents with graphics (or any pdf document) without the printer hanging due to memory issues?

With much appreciation,

Chris Kim

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 7 of 10 (2,187 Views)

Upon further testing, PDF documents that only have text would print, but if it had graphics, it would cause the printer to time out. The avaliable memory after the update was 1MB, which I'm thinking is what's causing the stall. I would continue to avoid the firmware update for now. I'll do some more testing and let you know if I find anything else.
Signature
Honor Student
rich99
Message 8 of 10 (1,219 Views)

Is there a way to downgrade to the older firmware that does not have this memory problem?

I have the same problem when printing graphic pages from Safari on my Mac.

Takes minutes to print a page.

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 9 of 10 (1,200 Views)

Hi rich99

No there isn't any way of downgrading the firmware, it is not available.

Try and clear the memory by unplugging the power cable. Hold down the power button on the printer for 10 seconds. Then reconnect the power cable directly to a wall outlet. (not a surge protector)

If this doesn't work then I would suggest updating the firmware to the newest one available Version 20130703.

Select the proper operating system and then click on the firmware link to download it.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4110...

If you have any further issues please let me know.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
shadowlmd
Message 10 of 10 (108 Views)

I have the same problem and your solution doesn't work, unfortunately.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation