HP Office Jet 6450 wireless drivers (1680 Views)
Honor Student
HelleB
Message 1 of 5 (1,680 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Office Jet 6450 wireless drivers

After upgrading to Windows 7 my printer is unable to print wireless. Are the drivers available now?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 5 (1,678 Views)

Re: HP Office Jet 6450 wireless drivers

HelleB wrote:

After upgrading to Windows 7 my printer is unable to print wireless. Are the drivers available now?

According to HP's website the full featured drivers will be available in late Januarry 2010.  In the meantime you may be able to install the printer via USB, then go to the printers folder, right click on the 6450, Printer Properties, Ports, Add port, Standard TCP/IP port, then type in the IP address for the 6450.  

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Intern
bluesky1962
Message 3 of 5 (1,667 Views)

Hi HelleB,

As BobHeadrick indicated the Full Solutions are not available yet. It should be possible to install the product on a Network with the instructions below. Sorry if the formatting isn't good, it was a cut and paste, and may not appear correctly when it posts.

Run the Wireless Setup Wizard.

Press the Setup button on the product control panel.

Press the Right Arrow button until Network Setup, and then press OK.

Press the Right Arrow button until Wireless Setup Wizard, and then press OK. The Wireless Setup Wizard searches for networks, and then displays them in a list.

Each detected network displays a number before it. Press the number of the network name (SSID on the keypad, and then press OK.

If the network name does not appear in the list, follow these steps:

Press the Back button, and then the Right Arrow button until Wireless Manual Setup displays, and then press OK.
Enter the SSID using the number keypad on the product control panel to enter letters and numbers. Once the SSID displays on the screen, press OK.

NOTE:
Make sure that you enter the uppercase (capital) and lowercase (small) letters exactly. Otherwise, the wireless connection fails.

If prompted, enter the WPA or WEP key:

Enter the WPA or WEP key using the number keypad on the product control panel to enter letters and numbers. Once the SSID displays on the screen, press OK.

When you finish entering the key, use the arrow buttons to highlight Done on the on-screen keyboard, and then press OK.

Make sure the product successfully connects to the network before continuing to the next step.

NOTE:
If a connection error message displays, make sure that the network name and security key are correct, and then follow the prompts to enter the information again.

On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon , and then click Devices and Printers.

Click Add a Printer.

Click Add a network, wireless, or Bluetooth printer. The product list opens.

Select the product in the list, and then click Next.

In the Product Name text box, type a name for the product, and then click Next.

NOTE:
This step is optional.

Select one of the following product sharing options.

Select Do not share this printer if you are not sharing the product, and then click Next.

Select Share this printer so that others on your network can find and use it if you are sharing your product, and then click Next.

To print an optional test page, click Print a test page.

If the product is your primary printer, make sure there is a checkmark next to Set as the default printer.

Click Finish.

Use the product functions

After you install the product on a wireless network, the driver in Windows 7 allows you to print from a software program. You can also scan documents using the Embedded Web Server and use the product to fax a printed page.

Print

Use these steps to print from a software program.

Open the document to be printed in the software application in which it was created.

Click File, and then click Print.

Scan

Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to scan a document.

Open Microsoft Internet Explorer or your preferred Internet browser.

In the address line, type the IP address for the product, and then press Enter. The Embedded Web Server (EWS) opens.

NOTE:
Your product's IP address is listed on the network configuration page you printed in a previous step in this document.

NOTE:
Make sure that pop-up windows are not blocked in the browser. If pop-up windows are blocked, a message under the address line explains how to allow pop-up windows (in most Internet browsers). If you try to scan with pop-up windows blocked, the scan will fail.

In the EWS, click the Information tab, and then under Applications, select Webscan.

Select the Image type for the image you are scanning.

NOTE:
Do not select Text as your image type unless you are only scanning text. If you scan an image as text, it might result in a poor quality scan.

Click Scan. When complete, the scanned image displays in the browser window.

Right-click the scanned image, click Save Picture as, and then select the destination and type the file name for the scanned image.

Click Save.

Fax

Although you cannot fax a document directly from your computer, you can still fax a printed document from the product.

Print the document you want to fax.

Place the printout on the flat surface or feeder slot in the same way you would for scanning or copying a document.

Fax the paper version of the document by using the faxing buttons on the control panel of the All-in-One.

Import and view images on a memory card

Memory Cards

Using the Windows 7 driver, you cannot import or view images from a memory card that is inserted in a product connected to a network.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

If I have helped you solve your issue please mark it as solved

**Say Thanks By Clicking on the Kudos Star** .....
Student
jamduf
Message 4 of 5 (1,606 Views)

I have finished ADDing a 6500  printer on a wireless network...using VISTA and 2nd computer running XP...the installation was SO clean..it read after a wireless network was working..the printer recognized the NETWORK adding the device driver....for the 6500..MY QUESTION IS will WINDOWS 7 recognized the wireless printer and is compatible ...Do I have to run Windows 7 when I install it to recognized the printer with the HP using the installation CD ???

JWD here..

Student
dgurley
Message 5 of 5 (224 Views)

Mac driver

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation