Question

Honor Student
Bart_S
Message 1 of 10 (10,236 Views)

HP OfficeJet Pro 8000 messing with the margins <-- cause found!

[ Edited ]

See my 2nd post.

------------------------

My OfficeJet Pro 8000 printer is driving me crazy. A nice printer which I'd like to keep, except the duplex printing function isn't working. At least not how I expect it should work.

When printing duplex the margins are all over the place.

I printed a A4 size document from WinXP SP3/Word 2007 with top and bottom margins set at 15mm:

-In simplex this prints perfectly.

-When printing duplex with 'preserve layout on' the top and bottom margins are increased so pages get squashed, the prints are at the wrong aspect ratio.

-When printing duplex with 'preserve layout off' the pages are the correct aspect ratio, but the top and bottom margins are different on the front and back(10 and 17mm resp. On the last page the top margin is even larger: 30mm if the last page is not filled completely.

-In Access 2007 it gets even stranger: when printing single sided with 15mm margins, the margins get completely removed, so the page get stretched to about 4mm from the paper edge.

-Printing duplex from Access is the same problem as described above.

I tried printing from several different applications (Adobe reader, Wordpad, Notepad, Excel)  and several computers (friends, colleagues, all WinXP with Office 2007) and from a Windows7 RC1 with it's included HP8000 driver: all the same symptoms.

The manual states:

NOTE: If using the duplexer to print on both sides of the paper, the minimum top and bottom margins must match or exceed 12 mm (0.47 inch).

So I'd expect that if I keep my top and bottom margins larger than that I'd be OK for duplex printing. And that if I set the margins at larger than 12mm the printer driver should leave them alone! :-(

Although HP Support thinks it is a hardware limitation, I personally expect this is a kink in the software somewhere: my antique HP 970Cxi does a good job on duplex printing of the same files, printing according to the margin settings on single-sided and double-sided. It has a minimum bottom margin of about 14mm specified for duplexing.

Right now the HP8000 is useless to me, it is simply no option to present documents with either distorted graphics or margins jumping up and down on the odd and even pages to my clients. Only alternative is to wait for my 970Cxi to finishzzzz....

HP Support, although willing and helpfull, found the same problems after testing, but didn't have any solution. 

This is a last effort before it's going back so I'm open to any suggestion.

I'm also curious if other HP8000 or HP8500 owners see the same symptoms.When searching the internet I see similar problems described with other HP printers, some even dating back several years!

Kind regards, Bart

Message Edited by Bart_S on 09-18-2009 06:06 AM
Honor Student
Bart_S
Message 2 of 10 (10,201 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet Pro 8000 messing with the margins. <-- Cause identified!!

So, I had my little aha-erlebnis when looking at the duplex prints. Once you see it, it is rather obvious.

The cause is quite simple, somewhere in the software the top and bottom margin values get mixed up when printing the back page.

E.g. in Word top margin 15mm, bottom margin 25mm. When duplex printing with 'preserve layout off' the odd/front pages go 'fine', top 10mm bottom 30mm. However, the even/back pages print with top 30mm and bottom 10mm. The last page, if on the back and if not completely full, is lined out against the bottom margin (which the software confuses with the top margin) leaving a big white gap above the text.  

Now I'm really curious how quickly this can be fixed.

Regards, Bart

Honor Student
mathsax
Message 3 of 10 (10,100 Views)

I am having the same duplexing issue with two Windows XP Home computers and one Windows XP Pro machines.  I agree with Bart...this is a software issue.  My Ubuntu Linux machine handles the duplexing just fine with the HP Office Jet Pro 8000 and the process is much easier.

I traded in my HP Business Inkjet 1200 series for the HP Office Jet Pro 8000 about a month ago, and it appears that I gave up a printer (the 1200) that was great for auto duplexing.  The print quality appears better in the 8000, but I really need the the duplex feature to work in Windows.  

Thanks,

Jeff

Top Student
bsellman0
Message 4 of 10 (8,606 Views)

I just purchased the Officejet pro 8000 and discovered the strange behavior with duplex printing, although I found that the first side is reduced in size (as well as side 2).  If it printed the full size and cut off whatever didn't fit, that would be much better than messing around with the size of the printed material.  I haven't tried a test print where the margins are .5" to see if the size is changed, but I'm not very confident.  If I print on one side first, then manually flip over and print the second side, the sizes are printed correctly.  This is a software problem, not a hardware problem.  HP needs to fix their software and provide an update.  Otherwise it's a very nice printer.

Bob 

Top Student
bsellman0
Message 5 of 10 (8,578 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet Pro 8000 messing with the margins. <-- Cause identified!! -- A partial solution

I contacted HP tech support and they came up with a solution that is not ideal, but does take care of the duplex printing problem.  Download and install the HP deskjet 6500 driver, selecting the parallel or some other non-USB port as the connection for the printer.  Once the installation is complete (do not print a test page!), go to control panel, printers, and right click the 6500 printer.  Change the name to whatever you want and change the port to the correct USB port where it is connected.  Restart your computer.  It will print duplex pages without messing around with the size of the printed area; however, when you restart your computer Windows will also recognize that an HP 8000 is connected and will set up that as a printer also.  Just use the printer using the 6500 driver for duplex printing.

The two concerns I have with this are that the 6500 driver will not show ink levels and uses RGB color technology, rather than CMYK.  The printouts look fine, but it would be better to have the right color technology used.

This solution demonstrates the HP obviously needs to rewrite the driver for the 8000.  They had duplex printing working correctly before, and the old driver prints duplex correctly, so they messed up the driver for the 8000.

In the meantime, at least this enables us to print duplex with the 8000.

Bob

Student
Helio
Message 6 of 10 (8,486 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet Pro 8000 messing with the margins. <-- Cause identified!! -- A partial solution

Hi: I also have the same problem whit the duplex printer, (In ubuntu cant disable the keep desing so that was not a solution, and since keep desing what does is to srink the page)

Bsellman0: I've tried your solution whit the JP Deskjet 6500, but when try to print, printer lights all its ligths like a cristmas tree, whitout pirnting, Is the deskjet or the officejet 6500 driver what I have to install?

Thanks a lot.

Top Student
bsellman0
Message 7 of 10 (8,450 Views)

It's the deskjet 6500 driver, not an officejet 6500 driver.  I actually installed the deskjet 6548 driver, not the basic driver but the other one that HP gives as an option.

Bob

Honor Student
mathsax
Message 8 of 10 (8,004 Views)

Since I'm still having issues with this printer, I contacted HP support again.  This time, they told me that version 13.0.0 of the driver was ready.  However, it was not yet available on the website (and wouldn't be for another few months).  So, they offered to send me a CD with the new driver for a shipping fee.  After getting the supervisor to waive the shipping fee (that was quite a process), they agreed to send me the disk.  It took about a week to get it, and when it arrived, it was the 12.0.0 version of the driver.  What?  All that trouble for a disk that I already had. 

I've been using the DJ990c driver as a work around to print in duplex mode, but it doesn't allow me to print envelopes.  The Officejet Pro 8000 has a center fed envelope tray, but the DJ990c expects a right fed envelope tray. 

Please contact HP Support and ask for the 13.0.0 version of the driver.  While there is no guarentee that it will work, you'd think that they would want to get their software fixed so that we will keep buying their ink.

Student
andrewames
Message 9 of 10 (7,828 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet Pro 8000 messing with the margins <-- cause found!

Looks like the margins are still broken with the latest driver (have an officejet 6500 on Windows 7 x64)

Top Student
bsellman0
Message 10 of 10 (7,806 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet Pro 8000 messing with the margins <-- cause found!

After some more experimentation, I found that the best way to print two sided material and get perfect registration is to print one side at a time.  The 6500 driver almost fixes the problem, but the printing is about 1/16" off.  I'm printing CD booklets where I fold the printed 8.5" x 11" sheet in half and then trim it.  When properly printed, the fold will be exactly at the right place if I print one side at a time and manuall turn the sheets over.  With the 8000 printer driver it's the mess we've discussed here.  But it is still slightly off, as noted, with the 6500 driver.  Printing a bunch of copies, then picking them up and placing them in the feeder tray without flipping them over or changing their orientation from the way they come out on the printed page try works well.  And if you are printing a number of copies, it can be much faster because it eliminates that 10 second wait between sides.

While I wish that the driver worked properly, this is a good solution for now if you need the exact registration (like I do).

Bob

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation