Question

Top Student
liluno18
Message 1 of 8 (1,561 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP OfficeJet Pro 8600, HP Printer Assistant does not install when software is installed from CD

HP Officejet Pro 8600 e all in one printer

Windows 7

I have had Printer Assistant installed and working on my computer for at least a year then there was an update and it no longer works.

I have uninstalled the device and software and reinstalled both from the website and directly from the CD with no success.

The only error I receive is when I first start the install and there is a red 'x' next to windows update .

The install process will complete, the computer will recognize the printer and I am able to print but I have no control of any functions becuase none of the options in printer assistant are enabled.  They are all grayed out.   The most important feature I need is the archival of received faxes.  

Another person in my household had the same issue but was able to reinstall from the website and no longer has any issues.

Thanks for any and all help. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Professor
Advance23
Message 2 of 8 (1,536 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet Pro 8600, HP Printer Assistant does not install when software is installed from CD

Hi liluno18,

I want to help you with this issue. I am sending you this link from the Microsoft forum on how to fix the red X on windows update. Follow the answer by M Joseph.

Then I suggest you do a complete unistall of software of the OJ 8600 and reinstall of software once you have the windows update working again.

Let me know if you need any assistance, I would be happy to help.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" by the Reply to say “Thanks” for helping!

~Advance23~
I worked on behalf of HP
Top Student
liluno18
Message 3 of 8 (1,520 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet Pro 8600, HP Printer Assistant does not install when software is installed from CD

Thank you for taking the time to help with my problem.  It fixed everything.

Have a great day!!!

Top Student
harkawy
Message 4 of 8 (927 Views)

Holy, moly.  For some unknown reason my HP Printer Assistant will not install either.  My computer is an HP p6720f, 64 bit running Windows 7.   Yesterday,  I needed the Assistant but it wasn't functioning.  Under my Devices and Printers, I see (besides my other printers) the Fax - HP Officejet Pro 8600 as well as the HP Officejet Pro 8600, but when I click on either of them (expecting the Assistant to open) I receive a window with just the options for the printer ie See What's Printing, Customize Your Printer and Set Preferences.  So I downloaded and reinstalled from the file OJ8600_1315.exe  Low and behold, my Assistant appeared properly, as I was able to adjust the Printer, the Scanner as well as the Fax.  All three functions were displayed.  That was last night!

At 8:00 PM, every evening, my computer automatically backs up via Norton Ghost 15.  When the backup is finished, the computer turns itself off.  I usually turn the computer on around 10:00 AM which is what I did this morning.

Guess what.... the Assistant isn't functioning.  When I click on the Assistant, nothing happens.  When I click on the printer within the Devices and Printers, only the one device is displayed and that is for the printer.  I can't access the scanner nor the fax.  I followed the instructions for repairing the registry... but that didn't help.  I tried to reinstall the software.  That didn't help.  I even went into the registry and deleted everything that had to do with the HP 8600.  I then rebooted and reinstalled the software from the file I mentioned above.  The software installed, I plugged in the USB cable, the computer installed the drivers and searched the internet for the upgrades.  Everything seemed to go perfectly with one minor hiccup, the Assistant won't function.

Help????!!!!!

Top Student
harkawy
Message 5 of 8 (870 Views)

I was on the phone with tech support for nearly 2 hours.  I gave them full control of my computer.  After deleting files and drivers, reinstalling them four times and rebooting five times, I finally have the printer assistant functioning.

Top Student
elaine49
Message 6 of 8 (653 Views)

i unistalled and reinstalled printer and nothing, no HP PRINTER ASSISTANT??????????????

Top Student
harkawy
Message 7 of 8 (648 Views)

Elaine,

If you are comfortable with using RegEdit, may I suggest that you turn off and unplug the 8600 and then go through the registry and remove all references to the 8600.  Then through Control Panel/System/Device Managerm, click on View and then click on Show hidden devices.  Slide down to Printers and uninstall all the 8600's drivers.  Reboot.  Then try to reinstall the software and reconnecting the printer.

If you still have problems, contact tech support and ask them to connect to your computer and do it for you.

Top Student
elaine49
Message 8 of 8 (645 Views)

tired of fulling around with printer , ordered a new one. Thanks for the shout.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation