Question

Honor Student
buffalojes
Message 1 of 29 (23,002 Views)

HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-In-One - Paper Jam - NO PAPER JAMMED IN BACK!

I am wondering if someone can assist in this problem.  I have an HP Officejet Pro (L7680) AIO and I keep getting a paper jam error after a few pages have printed.  It tells me to turn the unit around and remove the back (duplexer) and remove the paper.  There is no paper jammed in there.  I have done this a dozen times, restarted the machine, unplugged it... I dont know what else to do.  I did all the instructions on the website(see link below).  THis is a FALSE MESSAGE and I cannot get it to stop showing up.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00839319&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=2512009

Any ideas?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 29 (22,971 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-In-One - Paper Jam - NO PAPER JAMMED IN BACK!

Check the message and see if it is "carriage jam" rather than a paper jam.  The troubleshooting is different for carriage jam....

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
buffalojes
Message 3 of 29 (22,965 Views)

Hey Bob - its says "Paper Jam" - although there is no paper jammed in there.
Honor Student
DrWho3
Message 4 of 29 (22,451 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-In-One - Paper Jam - NO PAPER JAMMED ANYWHERE

Bob or anybody,

I have had the same problem with continuing false paper jam error messages about 3 weeks ago. I had a piece of paper that caught - got it ALL out by brush, vacuum, inspections with magnifying glass, etc. Only thing I forgot to do was turn off the power first.

Followed the generic HP help instructions that came with the printer software for clearing paper jams = no help; I chatted with tech on phone (India) = no help; with techs by email several times (India) = no help; with tech chat (USA ?)= no help; followed all procedures listed by HP and in forums = no help; tried # plus 6 and various unplugings; just searched the forum files and only found your conversation in 2008 which didn't help the questioner. Did he ever get any resolution to his problem?

I still think the key is some kind of memory reset that HP is not sharing with owners. Do you have any knowledge of other memory reset button combinations?

I was told by somebody in India that HP does not repair these printers or if they did, it would be too expensive. This sounds crazy if HP is making any claim about being "green."

Since this printer is the backbone of our home office I had to buy another one while trying to get help with the "broken" one. I hate to through out a $400 All-in-one if it is just something simple like resetting memory or a simple part.

Is there anybody at HP or somewhere in the world that can help?

Thanks,

DrWho3 

Tutor
11codeht
Message 5 of 29 (20,396 Views)

Dude... regarding the printer jam message I found a great solution that worked perfectly. I just tried and it worked perfectly. Spread this wide and far. Read below:

********************************************************************************************

------ SOLVING THAT "PAPER JAM" ERROR ------
REFER TO THE USER SUBMITTED PHOTO FOR GRAPHICAL NOTES AT THE other HP Officejet Pro L7780 Color All-in-One Printer/Fax/Scanner/Copier (C8192A#ABA)Amazon 7780 Product Page here:

Required

Tools:
(2) Medium sized paper clips

Preferable Tools:
(1) Pair of pliers with rubber grips
(1) Edged tool such as wall paper knife, metal pick or toothpick to clean out gear teeth.

This fix applies to paper jams the device believes are in the rear duplexer and often occurs after a real jam that has shredded the paper inside the mechanism.

Despite the fact you've carefully cleaned out all the visible paper from inside with the cover open, paper can jam the gears used to drive the rear rollers and even the tiniest amount of shred prevents operation resulting in the impossible Paper Jam error.

HP Tech Support online and on the phone don't troubleshoot it past "clear the paper from the device than try again please" b.s.

After removing the duplexer, grip any of the four rubber rollers and attempt to rotate in either direction, if they don't move freely with little effort, then continue with these instructions.

Begin:

1. Take the first paper clip and contact the lower two brass rectangles, this fools the device into believing the duplexer is installed, keep the contacts bridged (don't remove your hand or the paper clip until Step 4.) THERE IS NO ELECTROCUTION RISK.
2. Press the "OK" button on the control panel to pretend the paper jam is cleared.
3. CAREFULLY OBSERVE THE pair of white gears on the left, if they seem to clutch, stall, skip or freeze then you have paper shards which are causing the jam.
4. Using a firmer grip or pliers, grip the furthest left rubber roller and rotate in either direction , the gears should rotate with your efforts and look for shards of paper in the gear teeth.
5. Use the paper clip, toothpick or any appropriate edged tool to clear the shards.

Bridge the lower contacts again and observe if the gears rotate freely, if so then you've cleared the insidious jam should be able to print until the next error from this piece of chit printer.
Tutor
11codeht
Message 6 of 29 (20,395 Views)

Hey. Saw your numerous posts at different times during 2009 and wanted to let you know I posted a potential solution for you. Hope it works for your situation... I've copied idea below for your review. Worked perfectly for me 15 minutes ago.

------ SOLVING THAT "PAPER JAM" ERROR ------
REFER TO THE USER SUBMITTED PHOTO FOR GRAPHICAL NOTES AT THE other HP Officejet Pro L7780 Color All-in-One Printer/Fax/Scanner/Copier (C8192A#ABA)Amazon 7780 Product Page here:

Required

Tools:
(2) Medium sized paper clips

Preferable Tools:
(1) Pair of pliers with rubber grips
(1) Edged tool such as wall paper knife, metal pick or toothpick to clean out gear teeth.

This fix applies to paper jams the device believes are in the rear duplexer and often occurs after a real jam that has shredded the paper inside the mechanism.

Despite the fact you've carefully cleaned out all the visible paper from inside with the cover open, paper can jam the gears used to drive the rear rollers and even the tiniest amount of shred prevents operation resulting in the impossible Paper Jam error.

HP Tech Support online and on the phone don't troubleshoot it past "clear the paper from the device than try again please" b.s.

After removing the duplexer, grip any of the four rubber rollers and attempt to rotate in either direction, if they don't move freely with little effort, then continue with these instructions.

Begin:

1. Take the first paper clip and contact the lower two brass rectangles, this fools the device into believing the duplexer is installed, keep the contacts bridged (don't remove your hand or the paper clip until Step 4.) THERE IS NO ELECTROCUTION RISK.
2. Press the "OK" button on the control panel to pretend the paper jam is cleared.
3. CAREFULLY OBSERVE THE pair of white gears on the left, if they seem to clutch, stall, skip or freeze then you have paper shards which are causing the jam.
4. Using a firmer grip or pliers, grip the furthest left rubber roller and rotate in either direction , the gears should rotate with your efforts and look for shards of paper in the gear teeth.
5. Use the paper clip, toothpick or any appropriate edged tool to clear the shards.

Bridge the lower contacts again and observe if the gears rotate freely, if so then you've cleared the insidious jam should be able to print until the next error from this piece of chit printer.
Student
Deanouk
Message 7 of 29 (20,372 Views)

That worked a treat :smileywink:

was just a tiny bit of paper on the cog i noticed

Thanks alot m8 :smileyvery-happy:

Student
CharlesNoel
Message 8 of 29 (20,193 Views)

Thank you so much - what a relief!

Student
bki001
Message 9 of 29 (19,511 Views)

Hi

I tried this but it did not work. On further investigation I found a two wire clip had been dislodged from a terminal.

This was I presume the motor which propelled the paper feed. It is located in the rear, bottom left about 5cm in.

I re-attached this and the problem was solved.

Teacher
kevin_techno
Message 10 of 29 (16,739 Views)

most of the time for a paper jam, there is a QUEUE of papers waiting to be printed. id take out the usb cable via the back of the computer {the one that connects to the printer} go into the control panel, look for printers, double click on that, find the printer, it should say {working offline} right click that, choose the uninstall/delete opts. turn off the printer. reboot the machine, wait until it boots all the way up. take the printer, turn it on, then plug back in the usb cable to the back of the machine. if it is windows either xp/vista it will auto find the usb cable and install automatically. you can then go back to the control panel, printers and it should be listed in the directory. try to right click go to properties of the printer and do a TEST PRINT, should print out. get more help

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-printing-questions/Paper-Jam-Error/m-p/305772#M20513

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation