Question

Honor Student
JC839
Message 1 of 19 (24,524 Views)

HP Photosmart 1215 driver for Vista

I would like to use our 1215 on the new machine with Vista OS. Any ideas?
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 19 (24,540 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 1215 driver for Vista

Assuming this is the Photosmart 1215 (the one with the #45 and #78 cartrdiges) use the Deskjet 990 (or 970) driver available from the Add Printer dialog.

Regards,

Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
ronflack
Message 3 of 19 (24,247 Views)

If this works the beer's on me!  I about threw the whole rig out the window trying to get a perfectly good printer to work with Vista.  Shame on HP for not continuing to support it!  Can't blame Microsoft.  They make Operating systems.  It's HPO that makes the printers and drivers.

Thank you!

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 19 (24,235 Views)

Well, this printer has reahed the end of it's support life. so HP wont release the drivers for Vista. So you cant blame HP either.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
ronflack
Message 5 of 19 (24,225 Views)

Well, I do.  When HP, to their credit, makes a product that is as good today as it was 10 years ago, when it was manufactured, I believe they have an obligation to those of us who by HP products for just that reason.  To tell me I have to discard a perfectly good piece of equipment because there's not a lot of profit in writing a $5.00 piece of software is precisely why "big business" gets the rap it does today.  Why should I be forced to spend the $400.00 it will take to replace that printer with one with comparable features?  I'm quite sure IBM/Lexmark or Kodak would love to have that $400.00.

We, who are loyal to HP (I own four HP products), aren't asking too much in expecting in expecting them to be loyal to us.  I stand by my earlier comment, "Shame on HP".  Loyalty is a two-way street.

(And thanks for your reply.)

Ron

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 6 of 19 (24,196 Views)

well im not saying that the printer is just paperweight right now. VIsta does have pre-included drivers that work with this pritner. so if you just plug it in, it should work right away. you do have to understand that HP produces a lot of products every year, and at some point, they have to shift their attention to the newer products rather than the older ones, whose users significantly decrease after the emergance of newer, better products. im not saying you HAVE to get a new printer. and im not saying that this is the end of the line for this printer either.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
nicndaz
Message 7 of 19 (23,906 Views)

Hi i've just done this and now my printer is working with vista

1) Go to device manager and remove photosmart 1215

2) Go to printers and manually install, click add printer using the exisiting port USB001(virtual port for USB)

3) Hit next, choose HP Photosmart 7200 click next, print test page Bingo !!!

Make sure printer is pluged in and tured on

Worked for me  Nic good luck

Honor Student
JC839
Message 8 of 19 (24,002 Views)

I agree that it should still be supported. My solution was to buy a new printer but it sure wasn't a HP !!
Honor Student
wiz2525
Message 9 of 19 (23,490 Views)

Well, even though this may work on Vista, the Windows 7 beta no longer displays the driver set referred to in its internal set.  I have not tried to go out and get the pure Deskjet driver online.  So basically, if that doesn't work, this really workmanlike printer will be a doorstop once 7 hits the streets.:manmad:
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 10 of 19 (23,476 Views)

Windows 7 is still in Beta and no release date has been announced so it is awfully premature to assume the Photosmart 1215 would be a doorstop once Windows 7 is introduced. 

I just checked and Windows 7 does have a large selection of HP printers, including the Deskjet 5150 and 5550.  I would expect that one of these would work well with the Photosmart 1215.

Regards,

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation