10-17-2012 08:31 PM
I installed the software for the Photosmart 6520 printer with no errors during installation. When I double click on the HP Photosmart 6520 series icon on my desktop to run the "printer assistant" nothing happens. Other than that the printer works fine. I am running Windows XP on an a HP Pavilion 7360 computer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled this software several times from CD provided and downloaded also from the HP site with the same results. I was wondering if it works with Windows XP? I loaded the software on my HP G71-340 notebook running Windows 7 Home Premium and the "printer assistant" works fine. Any help would be appreciated.
This question was solved. View Solution.
10-18-2012 11:32 AM
I have the same problem with a 6520 I just bought Wednesday. It doesn't function with either of my machines, one running Vista and the other Windows 7. Hope you get an answer soon.
10-19-2012 07:51 AM
@tomg1938 - How do you have the Photosmart 6520 connected to the Windows XP computer (usb, ethernet, or wireless)? Are you using Windows XP 64bit?
@lsocks - Are you having an issue loading the printer software or getting the printer to work? Are you having an error on installation or can you not open the software after installing it? Does the printer copy just fine (to test hardware functionality)? Also, how is this printer connected to the two (2) computers?
10-19-2012 08:47 AM
The software seemingly installs fine, but when clicking on the icon on the desktop, it just brings up Notepad. This is on both computers, one running Vista, the other Windows 7.
The printer is connected to a wireless network, and all printing functions seem to work fine. I have not tried to copy or scan, but I'm assuming that will work as well. I can print from both computers, two Iphones and an Ipad. Its just the desktop software that I am having a problem with.
10-19-2012 09:49 AM - edited 10-19-2012 09:51 AM
@lsocks- I have a few steps here to try.
1. Go to Control Panel
2. Click on Default Programs
3. Select “Associate a file type or Protocol with program”
4. Search for “.hta file” type from the list (refer image below)
5. Double click on “.hta file” type
6. In the open with window, under recommended program section select “Microsoft (R) HTML application host" and click Ok . (Refer image below)
** Advance step: If you are unable to find "Microsoft (R) HTML application host" in the open with window click on browse -> go to c:\windows\system32\ and select “mshta.exe” and click open and then click Ok.
*** Try Opening Solution center lite and check
Let me know if this is able to help!
10-19-2012 12:27 PM
I found the target file for the Photosmart 6520 "printer assistant" in the Bin folder and what I can see from the icon displayed the file may be corrupt. I checked it for the CD load and when I downloaded from the HP site and see the same results.
10-20-2012 05:52 AM
Since It shows to be an exe. file and it is not working I assumed it to be corrupt. The icon is probably alright as I found other exe. files with the same icon that work just fine.
- HP Printers - Installing Your Printer Driver Using the Windows Built-in Solution
- Download and Install Your Windows HP Printer Driver and Software for a USB Cable Connection
- HP Printers - Installing a Mac Printer Driver Using Apple Software Update
- HP Printers - Download and Install a Mac HP Printer Driver and Software
- HP All-in-One Printers - Driver Support for Linux OS