Question

Top Student
tomg1938
Message 1 of 37 (4,379 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Photosmart 6520 "printer assistant" will not run

I  installed the software for the Photosmart 6520 printer with no errors during installation. When I double click on the  HP Photosmart 6520 series icon on my desktop to run the "printer assistant" nothing happens. Other than that the printer works fine. I am running Windows XP on an a HP Pavilion 7360 computer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled this software several times from CD provided and downloaded also from the HP site with the same results.  I was wondering if it works with Windows XP?  I loaded the software on my HP G71-340 notebook running Windows 7 Home Premium and the  "printer assistant" works fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Tutor
lsocks
Message 2 of 37 (4,352 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 6520 "printer assistant" will not run

I have the same problem with a 6520 I just bought Wednesday.  It doesn't function  with either of my machines, one running Vista and the other Windows 7.  Hope you get an answer soon.

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 3 of 37 (4,329 Views)

I will need some more information to be able to test these results.

@tomg1938 - How do you have the Photosmart 6520 connected to the Windows XP computer (usb, ethernet, or wireless)? Are you using Windows XP 64bit?

@lsocks - Are you having an issue loading the printer software or getting the printer to work? Are you having an error on installation or can you not open the software after installing it? Does the printer copy just fine (to test hardware functionality)? Also, how is this printer connected to the two (2) computers?
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Tutor
lsocks
Message 4 of 37 (4,326 Views)

The software seemingly installs fine, but when clicking on the icon on the desktop, it just brings up Notepad.  This is on both computers, one running Vista, the other Windows 7.

The printer is connected to a wireless network, and all printing functions seem to work fine.  I have not tried to copy or scan, but I'm assuming that will work as well. I can print from both computers, two Iphones and an Ipad.   Its just the desktop software that I am having a problem with. 

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 5 of 37 (4,322 Views)

[ Edited ]

@lsocks- I have a few steps here to try.

1. Go to Control Panel

2. Click on Default Programs

3. Select “Associate a file type or Protocol with program”

4. Search for “.hta file” type from the list (refer image below)

.hta file.JPG

5. Double click on “.hta file” type

6. In the open with window, under recommended program section select “Microsoft (R) HTML application host" and click Ok . (Refer image below)

Open With hta.JPG

** Advance step: If you are unable to find "Microsoft (R) HTML application host" in the open with window click on browse -> go to c:\windows\system32\ and select “mshta.exe” and click open and then click Ok.

*** Try Opening Solution center lite and check

Let me know if this is able to help!

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Tutor
lsocks
Message 6 of 37 (4,313 Views)

Did not work. Did try to load, but got something about no string
Top Student
tomg1938
Message 7 of 37 (4,311 Views)

The Photosmart 6520 is connected wireless. The operating system is Windows XP 32 Bit.

tomg1938

Top Student
tomg1938
Message 8 of 37 (4,306 Views)

I found the target file for the Photosmart 6520 "printer assistant" in the Bin folder and what I can see from the icon displayed the file may be corrupt.  I checked it for the CD load and when I downloaded from the HP site and see the same results.

Tutor
lsocks
Message 9 of 37 (4,292 Views)

Yes, and then what??????

Top Student
tomg1938
Message 10 of 37 (4,281 Views)

Since It shows to be an exe. file and it is not working I assumed it to be corrupt. The icon is probably alright as  I found other exe.  files  with the same icon that work just fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation