Question

Top Student
MIbet
Message 1 of 4 (95 Views)

HP Photosmart 8150 or 8050 fully functional with Windows 7?

I just purchased a used 8150 Photosmart printer due to failure of feeder mechanism on another older Photosmart printer. Lost my PC, monitor and scanner to a lightning strike the following day.  A computer technician tells me my 8150 can't print photos at all from my new PC with Windows 7 as I can no longer download the necessary Photosmart Essential software from HP.  Is this correct or is it still fully functional?  

On the other hand, would it be easier to buy a newer Photosmart printer?  Is an 8050 Photosmart fully functional with Windows 7?  It looks to have a driver download and so forth, but I want to make sure before I go out and buy yet another printer that isn't fully functional.  I loved the Photosmart Essential software that came with the 8150 and 8050, and would like to continue printing photos using similar software.

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 4 (88 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 8150 or 8050 fully functional with Windows 7?

Hi,

It's correct in one way: Photosmart Essential software has been replaced with a new software called HP Proto creations. You can download from the following link:

http://www.hp.com/global/us/en/consumer/digital_photography/free/software/photo-creations.html

And Yes, no more driver support for the old 8150 from the Vista ages or at least 5 years now. Buying new printer would be the way to go if you wish to get better photo prints otherwise just waisting inks (very expensive) and papers.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Master's Graduate
RocketLife
Message 3 of 4 (79 Views)

Hi MIbet.

HP Photo Creations runs on Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8, as well as Mac OS 10.4 and up.

Before downloading, you can browse the HP Photo Creations web catalog to get an idea of the types of prints you can make. Here's a link to the prints section:

Learn More About Prints

For more background, please see the links below. We're always happy to answer questions here as well.

Hope this helps,

RocketLife 

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
RocketLife, developer of HP Photo Creations
» Visit the HP Photo Creations Facebook page — news, tips, and inspiration
» See the HP Photo Creations video tours — cool tips in under 2 minutes
» Contact Customer Support — get answers from the experts
Top Student
MIbet
Message 4 of 4 (67 Views)

I have thought about replacing that 8150, but I just bought it used 4-5 days prior to the lightning strike that took out my PC, monitor and scanner.  Because my HP Scanjet 4070 got hit by lightning also I lost all HP Image Zone / Photosmart Essentials software capabilities.  When we tried to move that old software over to the new PC with Windows 7 a message popped up saying that it was incompatible with the Windows 7 operating system. My major question is the following -- Can I get the fully operational HP photo software (Image Zone) back with a download of the "HP Photosmart & OfficeJet Full feature Software Suite"? If not, I will probably need to pursue buying a brand-new or newer release date Photosmart printer that will work with Windows Vista or 7.  I do not want an all-in-one printer though.

The computer technician downloaded Picasa for me, but I don't like it as well as my old HP software.  I lost all the tags that went with the hundreds of old photos and slides also.  An excellent feature of the old HP photo software that was on my old PC with Windows Vista was that I could zoom in on any scanned slide or photo to see details and so forth.  I no longer have that option.  HP Photo Creation does NOT have the capabilities that my old software had by any stretch of the imagination!  It looks to be more for those who are into scrapbooking and similar stuff and not for those who scan old slides and photos for archiving family keepsakes.  

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated!  I love my Photosmart 8150 and have lots of ink cartridges that won't work in a newer printer.  : ) 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation