Re: HP Photosmart C410a All-in-One: Duplex Printing Problem (1808 Views)
dbo Honor Student
Honor Student
dbo
Message 1 of 10 (4,772 Views)

HP Photosmart C410a All-in-One: Duplex Printing Problem

[ Edited ]

I just purchased an HP Photosmart Premium Fax C410a ePrinter.  My operating system is Windows 7.

All went well until I tried duplex printing of a document.  It printed alright, but extra margin space (a good 1/2 inch) was inserted like a border at the top and bottom (but not the sides) of both front and back of each page.  This squeezing of the text causes the font size to be reduced and leaves undesirable white space.  This happens with both manual and automatic duplex printing. 

I spent hours chatting and talking with HP support technicians while they tried many things to solve the problem, all to no avail.  They suggested I return the printer and get another one, which I did, but the second one has the same problem.

Has anybody out there run into this problem with the C410?  I would appreciate any help I could get, including from someone at HP. I strongly suspect this is a defect in the software. 

Honor Student
Rockboat77
Message 2 of 10 (4,713 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C410a All-in-One: Duplex Printing Problem

I purchase the C410a back in September.  I'm having the same problem you are.  Have called HP tech support many times.  They worked around in my computer, as well uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and software.  Nothing worked.  I was able to get HP tech, finally tell me that they are having problems with the software of the printer, and that they are working on a patch to fix the problem.  So, all we can do, is wait for the patch.  And hope it works!

dbo Honor Student
Honor Student
dbo
Message 3 of 10 (4,704 Views)

Glad to hear from someone having the same problem.  I have arrived at the same point with HP as you.  They recognize that the software is defective and will undertake to fix it...sometime soon.

Professor
007OHMSS
Message 4 of 10 (4,511 Views)

One of the common issues with automatic duplexing, is the requirement of increased margins due to the way that the process works. It is not a defect, it is simply the way that the process needs to ensure print quality when auto duplexing. In contrast, manual duplexing does not have the same needs, as it draws directly from the tray. From testing of other brands, I can say that I have seen the margin issue occur with other manufacturers as well. Seems to be a necessary evil when auto duplexing.

007OHMSS

I am a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
dbo Honor Student
Honor Student
dbo
Message 5 of 10 (4,499 Views)

I'm afraid I can't agree with you on this issue, my friend, and that for three reasons.  I believe it is a defect because (1) contrary to what you said, the greatly increased margins occur in the same amounts whether I duplex manually or automatically, (2) just before buying this printer (C410a), I owned a Photosmart C7200 that performed automatic duplexing without changing the margins at all, or at least not visibly, and (3) during my long sessions with the HP help desk people, I furnished them with scans of duplex printed documents and they agreed that there was an obvious problem that needed fixing.

Thanks anyway for your comments.

Doug

Student
watman62
Message 6 of 10 (4,476 Views)

Yep, same thing happens to me under XP with a C410a I bought yesterday (12/14/2010).  Downloaded drivers from HP site rather than going off CD, so presumably they're latest and greatest.  Thanks for working so long with the HP folks to get them on the trail (hopefully) for a fix.

I'm printing to postcard stock and was pulling my hair out moving from one software package to another and fiddling with printer settings etc before finding this.  The added border screws up alignment on the postcards noticibly.  And to think duplex printing was a prime reason I went with this printer.  Arg!!

Honor Student
Audiate
Message 7 of 10 (3,719 Views)

I'm having thisproblem too, but I haven't been able to locate any new drivers - are there ones that will fix this problem, or is not fix-able?

Student
ghcn
Message 8 of 10 (3,648 Views)

I have a C310a (=CN 503B in HP's arcane numbering system) and it has the same problem.  I raised it with Tech Support who told me all about duplex printing needing large top and bottom margins, and that I should simply increase them on the original document to ensure faithful printing.  However, the most bizarre feature in my case is that some days automatic duplex will increase the margins and shrink the text, but other days it will print the identical document normally!   Has anyone had that experience?  

Honor Student
Ohaber74
Message 9 of 10 (1,808 Views)

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone figured this out yet? I have returned my C310a and been given a c410a for this same issue. HP spent hours with me as noted by the OP, and they were going to send me a "new" refurb c310, but I went back to store instead, and they gave me the c410 with the whole box (Staples gets an A+).

Honor Student
dang9
Message 10 of 10 (260 Views)

It is a publishing issue.  Book forms require added margin top or left/right (odd/even) for binding.  I don't understand why you would make it an enforced rule though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation