Question

Top Student
rheu83
Message 1 of 9 (266 Views)

HP Photosmart C4795 Failed to find device driver

Hi all,

I am stumped! I have a HP 2000 Notebook PC with Windows 7 64 bit and I am trying to install my HP Photosmart C4795 all in one printer.  Before I was able to use my laptop with the HP Photosmart C4795 printer, but don't know why recently I cannot use it anymore.  I thought it was a virus issue so I installed an antivirus software and ran a few sweeps, removing all the malwares and threats.  Note: My laptop is up to date with all the Windows Update.  I tried deleting and downloading the most recent driver for the printer and re-install the software but no luck.  It will install the software, but at the end it just says fail to install device driver.  I tried all the troubleshoots and still nothing.  I don't know why but I use to be able to use it, but all of a sudden it wouldn't anymore.  I have another laptop (Compaq) and it will connect to the printer, just not my HP laptop. 

Please, any help is appreciated. Thanks

HP Support Agent
Advance23
Message 2 of 9 (243 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C4795 Failed to find device driver

Hi rheu83,

I understand that you are having a problem getting the Photosmart C4795 printer connected to your HP Windows 7 NoteBook. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

Download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor to see if it is reading your printer as being installed and working.

If not, then I recommend using the HP Officejet Pro Software and Driver Removal Utility to remove all the software and drivers from your NoteBook. DO NOT run the Level 4 as it will remove software that needs to be on your HP NoteBook.

Then use the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows to find and download the software and drivers for your printer.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know how it goes.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" by the Reply to say “Thanks” for helping!

~Advance23~
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
rheu83
Message 3 of 9 (232 Views)

I download and did what you said, but still will not work.  It will see the printer, but says the driver is missing or is not configured properly.

HP Support Agent
Advance23
Message 4 of 9 (225 Views)

Hi rheu83,

I am sorry that did not resolve the issue. Could you please tell me exactly what the error message is and when in the install are you getting it?

I also recommend that you download and run the Microsoft Fix It tool.

I hope this helps, please let me know.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

~Advance23~
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
rheu83
Message 5 of 9 (213 Views)

I have already tried the fix it tool. 

When installing the software and device driver setup, it will install until it says to connect the printer with usb cable.  At the same time my laptop will try to find the driver and fail to do so after about 1-2 minutes. The software will continue to install and I think reach 7 out of 8 then i t will just say fail to complete install. 

I do have to say that using the printer screen buttons, I can scan something into the laptop, but the printing feature will not work because of the driver...I guess.

HP Support Agent
Advance23
Message 6 of 9 (203 Views)

Hi rheu83,

Hmm, you can scan, but not print, you may want to try another USB cable to see if that fixes the issue. I also have this document for Windows: 'Device Setup Failed to Complete' or 'Unknown Device' Message Displays on the Computer Duri... that deals with the issue that you are having.

I hope this helps, keep me posted on how it goes.

Thank you,

~Advance23~
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
rheu83
Message 7 of 9 (192 Views)

Still nothing works. 

My Compaq laptop will work, but not the hp.

Here's what it will say

Device drver software was not successfully installed:

-Usb composite device - ready to use

-Hp Photosmart c4700 - ready to use

-Usb printing support - ready to use

-Hp photosmart c4700 (dot4usb) - ready to use

-Usb mass storage device - ready to use

-Hp photosmart c4700 usb device - ready to use

-Hpphotosmart c4700 series - Failed

-Photosmart c4700 (dot4print) - ready to use

HP Support Agent
Advance23
Message 8 of 9 (173 Views)

Hi rheu83,

I understand your frustration with this install. The messages that you are getting are OEM related. After doing some investigating into this I recommend that you backup and save your files and do a complete restore to factory setting.

This is a video on Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows 7.

This is a document for Microsoft System Restore.

I hope all goes well, keep me posted.

Thank you,

~Advance23~
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
rheu83
Message 9 of 9 (136 Views)

I will try this...didn't want to though but if I must
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation