Question

Top Student
user541
Message 1 of 12 (16,985 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Photosmart C5180 - Windows 7 64bits - Network - Device detected but install FAIL.

Hi,

I've got a Photosmart C5180, connected with an ethernet cable (not usb).

It's working great with every computer in the house (vista and xp).

But my new computer, a windows 7 64bits operating system, can't install the drivers :

Drivers are now installed, but the "add device" step isn't working properly.

After the network scan, the printer is listed :

Then I click next, for "network analysis" :

ok all right, next step is "installation". Before the picture, it is written "printer detected" (french).

And a few seconds after it fail :

Grrrr wtf?

Thanks for help!

Student
Golden-Dragon
Message 2 of 12 (16,942 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C5180 - Windows 7 64bits - Network - Device detected but install FAIL.

[ Edited ]

Hi i got the same problem tried with both wired connection and wireless and nothing works. i even did i clean reinstall of my system but it don't want to work. any support worker or admin that knows how to fix this ?

p.s  i can add a printer thoug and it works but i cant use any of the other functions more than that

Message Edited by Golden-Dragon on 10-31-2009 07:04 PM
Top Student
subodhg
Message 3 of 12 (16,984 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C5180 - Windows 7 64bits - Network - Device detected but install FAIL.

Have you tried the latest drivers for this printer from the Windows 7 support page for this printer on HP.com?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=4063&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=1153481

Top Student
user541
Message 4 of 12 (16,977 Views)

yeah sure! i've waited the windows 7 official release (i've got a msdnaa acount) to get the hp drivers (tried a few weeks before with vista 64bits and installer was saying something like "wait for windows release").

AIO_CDA_Net_Full_Win_WW_130_140.exe are simply not working......

[Released: 2009-10-20 ; Version: 13.1.0]

So for now, i can't use my HP product under windows 7 64bits, i'm forced to switch to another OS in order to print a sheet of paper
This is really borring, especially when the installer is detecting my printer.

Hope you guys are going to correct this.

Student
Shawstokes
Message 5 of 12 (16,474 Views)

Having the same here. .

Was working perfectly for printing 2 days ago, but teh scanner wasn't working. When I updated the driver hoping it woudl fix the scanner it did, but took out the printer.

Tried Ethernet connection and USB. No joy.

Spent 2 hours on line with the HP chat function last night, but not getting anywhere, especially as the install process makes you restart the computer which loses your connection with the chat so you have to start again from scratch.

Top Student
jef315
Message 6 of 12 (16,309 Views)

I have had problems installing the Software from HP. When I installed the full package I would get pop ups and error messages. So I did a complete reinstall (I don't now if it really needed to be done I had other issues). After that I just installed the drivers and none of the extras and it works fine. I am also hooked up use the ethernet connection. One note even before the reinstall if I just you the drivers and no extra software. I can still scan using Windows Fax and Scan. I probably will not add the extra software until there is another version.
Top Student
user541
Message 7 of 12 (16,168 Views)

[ Edited ]

Worked for me too :

-Uninstall HP photosmart drivers

-(forced) reboot with a vague message (bad bad bad!)

-Uninstall HP update [don't think this part is necessary but I did it anyway]

-Redownload & reinstall AIO_CDA_Net_Full_Win_WW_130_140.exe

-Printer found & successful installation (windows 7 64bits)

Anyways there was signs the installer is a mess :

- several popups without graphic coherence

- command line poping up from time to time during installation (hopefully i'm not pressing ESC or click at the bad time / bad place on the screen) -> really bad programing here

- multiples progress bars that means nothing to the user

-  optionnal stuff that can only be disable in an hidden popup accessible from an html link (not a normal button)

=> dOh! HP really wan't to <text deleted> their customers by forcing them to install their optionnal software... bad bad bad !

And right now I'm launching HP update and .... oO there is an available update.

So why  the c5180 drivers link is not updated on there site ? Bad organisation....

And again a black window (command line) poping up during update....

grrr

But now i can print on my windows 7 64bits LAN \o/

Honor Student
chase809
Message 8 of 12 (16,157 Views)

So I think I have the exact same issue that you have experience, I get the same screen messages and errors.  

I believe I have a fix for my problem and I hope this works for everyone because I know this has been driving me nuts.  My problem has to do with a driver already loaded for the C5180 and it must be incompatible with what the installer is trying to do.  Instead of overwriting the driver during the install it appears to be using the existing driver that was there.  So to correct my problem I first started with removing any existing C5180 printer instances from my computer.  Open up "Devices and Printers" from the Start menu, remove any references to your C5180 if there are any.

Once all references to the C5180 have been removed click on the Fax or XPS document writer, you should see "Print server properties" option at the top, click on it

Change to the Drivers tab and look for any driver that references the C5180, so in my case I have a "HP Photosmart C5100 series" driver loaded.  Click on the Remove button below once you have the driver highlighted

I changed the option to "Remove driver and driver package", then clicked OK

Make sure you click on the Delete button to actually delete the driver

Once it has been delete run the icon on your desktop to add your HP printer again.  I'm not sure many have seen the installation process pass 50% but here it is!

In the end it completed successfully, I have done this on both my x86 and x64 computers.  This has worked for all of my computers at home, hopefully this will help fix some of the other people out there with the same problem.

Student
tvisco
Message 9 of 12 (16,139 Views)

I was having the same issues...I was able to get it to work pretty simply.  When I did a fresh install of the AIO_CDA_Net_Full_Win_WW_130_140 file...I ran as administrator, disabled AntiVirus and left Firewall enabled (actually the setup screen suggests this).

Worked fine that way.

Top Student
jef315
Message 10 of 12 (16,094 Views)

I never really had a problem with the printer driver it was with the software that was installed. Everytime I installed it with HP Solution Center and HP Digital Imaging I would get pop ups and error messages. So I have just installed the printer driver only and it works fine. If any has heard of a solution with the pop ups I would like to hear it. HP has not been able to figure it out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation