HP Photosmart c309a series driver issues on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (11100 Views)
Top Student
quadnutter
Message 1 of 7 (11,100 Views)

HP Photosmart c309a series driver issues on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I have repeatedly tried to resolve a problem I find with my PC and my HP 309a printer.

The printer appears to work, but I keep seeing a yellow warning symbol on my Devices and Printers display.

When I select the PC icon, I get driver errors reporting.

The printer does print, and it also appears to function.

The only part which seems ok is the "fax" driver.

The other one shows:  

Photosmart C309a series

Device type: Other devices

Manufacturer: Unknown

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

This driver seems to work:

Photosmart C309a series

Device type: Imaging devices

Manufacturer: HP

Location: ip:nnn:nnn:nnn:nnn,subnet:nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn/nnn (obviously I have not included the IP address.)

This device is working properly.

It also looks like the Fax part is working correctly, but at present I am not using the Fax.

But the properties for the Fax element show:

Manufacturer: Unavailable

Model: HP Photosmart C309a series Fax

Model number: Unavailable

Categories: Printer

Description: Unavailable

I have gone to the HP website, searched for the latest driver to run on Windows 7 64bit (Ultimate). I have downloaded it successfully, and the printer prints and appears to scan successfully, following restart of the PC, I keep getting the same error.

I have downloaded v14 full suite of HP Solutions Centre, PS_AIO_05_C309a_Net_Full_Win_enu_140_047

I have downloaded the patch: dot4patch_reboot

I have downloaded the scan update: CPE_SCAN_DESTINATION_UPDATE_hpcom_001_003

I have downloaded Smart Web printing update: hp_smart_web_printing

Whilst the printer seems to work, I still get issues with Solution Centre not working, although at the moment it is.

So to summarise, how do I resolve the missing driver issue? I cannot find the actual driver on its own to point to when trying to run the update driver option too.

Anyone able to help please?

Top Student
quadnutter
Message 2 of 7 (11,055 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart c309a series driver issues on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I am getting fed up now with this printer. I have reinstalled the software numerous times, and I am still getting an error with my HP drivers missing.

The drivers for this device are not installed, (Code 28)

I really do not know what more I can do.

Can someone please offer me some assistance?

Student
sheilasandholdt
Message 3 of 7 (10,712 Views)

It seems Microsoft has made deals with all the software companies.  Any software Vista and below does not work with
windows 7.  You have to purchase new software.  I guess that is one way to get technology out of their recession.  I like APPLES better and better.  My HP Photosmart  C309a does not work with windows 7 period, Microsoft does recognize the drivers.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 7 (10,706 Views)

sheilasandholdt wrote:

It seems Microsoft has made deals with all the software companies.  Any software Vista and below does not work with
windows 7.  You have to purchase new software.  I guess that is one way to get technology out of their recession.  I like APPLES better and better.  My HP Photosmart  C309a does not work with windows 7 period, Microsoft does recognize the drivers.

This is entirely misleading and incorrect.  First, many programs written for Vista, XP and even Windows 98 run fine in Windows 7.  Further, some versions of Windows 7 support a complete (and free) virtual XP machine that can be downloaded and installed.

I am using a C309a in Windows 7 Ultimate x64 without problems, with both bluetooth and wireless 802.11g connections.  I have not used the fax but have used it extensively for scanning and printing.

1167i7A9EA6912C2B3359

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 7 (10,705 Views)

By the way, the Photosmart c309a drivers are found under Hewlett-Packard, not HP like most of the other HP drivers.

1168i17D9A772A5C99113

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
meeper44
Message 6 of 7 (9,695 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart c309a series driver USELESS on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

well I am pleased but amazed Bob you are so confident it works.  I've bought a C309a and tried loading many times a) from enclosed disk, b)from HP driver site, c) from 'hewlett packard', d) allowing pc to do a "repair" and none of these ever works with Windows 7.   I keep saying that no driver is installed, Fatal error and so on and I cannot find any info on HP how to overcome problems.  Pretty Useless.  Like the other people here I am at my wits end how to get my new printer to work.  It is not as easy as you say. You have just been lucky and there seem to be far more of us with problems than there are those for whom it works.  I am on the point of having to take my printer back for a refund I've spent a lot of time on this with no success

Bob_Headrick wrote:

By the way, the Photosmart c309a drivers are found under Hewlett-Packard, not HP like most of the other HP drivers.

1168i17D9A772A5C99113

.   Its not much good having a printer that does not work with Windows 7.

Bob_Headrick wrote:

1168i17D9A772A5C99113

Bob_Headrick wrote:

1168i17D9A772A5C99113

Honor Student
ladagosta
Message 7 of 7 (9,487 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart c309a series driver USELESS on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Bob

this was great that you provided this information.

I have been trying to assist my sister for a couple of weeks now  looking for answers as to how to fix the issue with her printer not running wirelessly.. it has no problem with usb cable printing but still unable to use it wirelessly. I unfortunately have made a grave mistale that most people will make and select the HP rather than the Hewlett Packard for the driver update.  KUDOS to you for being the first to recognize this as being the wrong selection....

Hopefully she will now be able to resolve the problem and use the printer as she intended to use it ,. wirelessly as it was working fine on her VIsta machine until it took a bath and had to buy a new laptop with windows 7  installed... has not been able to esolve the wireless issue .

She is disabled and hte wireless portion of it is a MUST so this is grand to have found the solution and hopefully it will resolve any future issues.. thanks have a happy new year

I think you need to post more out on the web on like yahoo answers and such and get this saturated.. so  people can find this solution in any place they search..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation