08-04-2014 06:30 PM
I have a HP Offficejet Pro 8600 Plus, and am using a windows 8.1 pc. I am trying to open the printer assistant so that I can scan and OCR. I used to be able to do this fine, but now I can't even start the Printer Assistant. I have tried reinstalling the full software, but that has no difference.
When I go to open the printer, nothing seems to happen, but when you look at the task manager, it shows hundreds of HP Printer Assistant processes. Eventually I get booted out of the session back to the windows user login.
I can print, and scan using HP AiO Remote app on the same machine. Scan doesn't allow for OCR.
No idea what started this behaviour, but would appreciate help to get it back to working.
08-05-2014 02:01 PM
Try following the steps to install the patch blow, altough it describe a different scenario I believe that should resolve the issue you are facing:
Please let me know if that may help.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution
08-14-2014 12:37 PM - edited 08-14-2014 12:39 PM
Hi there Jason, aka @Jaskeys ,
I would like to make a suggestion that might help you with the Solution Center problem you're having.
Hopefully that will give you back the full software and driver package with all of the features to scan again.
06-03-2015 07:19 AM
I followed your directions to uninstall the HP Officejet Pro 8600 (network) program and reinstalled the full software program but the printer assistant still will not open. Suggestions?
06-03-2015 09:11 AM - edited 06-03-2015 09:13 AM
Welcome to the community
I understand you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the full feature driver for your Officejet 8600 for a network connection, and are unable to open the printer software on your computer. I hope to help!
Please respond to me with the following. If there are any steps here that you have not tried, please try them before responding and include the result:
- How is the printer connected to the network (Ethernet or Wireless)?
- What is the Operating System of the computer?
- Can you make copies from the front of the printer successfully?
- Do you see any error codes, and if so, where do you see them and what do they say?
- Was there any issues installing the full software?
- What happens when you try to open the software?
- Have you restarted the printer and computer fully?
- What Firewalls and Anti-virus software are installed on your computer?
- Have you tried disabling or uninstalling them?
- If you're running Windows, run the Print and Scan Doctor and include the results in your reply.
- Did you make any recent changes to your set up (physical move, upgrade, downgrade, new software installed, new router, etc)?
- Is the printer plugged directly into the wall outlet (avoiding power bars and surge protectors)?
- Have you completed all Windows/Mac OS Updates?
- Have you tried using a different Ethernet cable?
- Have you tried installing the software via USB and then converting the connection to wireless?
If you appreciate my reply to your concern today, click the thumbs up below!
- HP Printers - Installing Your Printer Driver Using the Windows Built-in Solution
- Download and Install Your Windows HP Printer Driver and Software for a USB Cable Connection
- HP Printers - Installing a Mac Printer Driver Using Apple Software Update
- HP Printers - Download and Install a Mac HP Printer Driver and Software
- HP All-in-One Printers - Driver Support for Linux OS