Question

Honor Student
dmhlt-48
Message 41 of 54 (547 Views)

Re: HP Solution Center will not run

First and foremost – I am NOT a tech person associated w/ HP, just someone who found a solution to a problem that may be similar to yours.

I had done an HP Update when things went woefully awry.  Like you, although I could print things, when I wanted to scan something by opening the “HP Solution Center” I’d get the following box:

“HP Solution Center cannot run because your device installation is incomplete. 

“Please plugin the USB cable or re-run the set-up program from the installation CD …”

I followed their instructions in that box to a “T” several times – and NOTHING HELPED.  So I started Googling (and apparently the HP Solution Center not working is a fairly common problem.)

Then I FINALLY found this HP Expert’s suggestion earlier in this thread.  (And why HP posts everything in the Forum chronologically rather than in an algorithmic tree format so you can tell to whom someone is responding to, I’ll never know.  Very confusing)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers-e-g-Windows-8/HP-Solution-Center-wi...

I followed his instructions (other than my above-posted caveats about NOT running the Disk Cleanup and NOT updating my Flash Player) to a “T” – and it worked!

BUT be careful to NOT use his link for the “Full Feature Software and Drivers” download [#8 if you have the “Original Installation CD” option] unless that is exactly the SAME PRODUCT you have.  You’ll have to find your product online to download the “Full Feature Software and Drivers”, probably from here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/siteHome?cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3795406

You can plan on the “Uninstall – Download – Reinstall from the Download” to take at least a good hour (probably more) – even if you’re fairly comfortable w/ computers.

Good luck, and I hope you can get it fixed.

Top Student
truthseeker53
Message 42 of 54 (431 Views)

I'm running XP, Deskjet 4240, worked fine last use couple months ago. When I click on Solut. Ctr. icon the hourglass shows momentarily. Print scan doc says all is good. Wont work manually either. I've repeatedly uninstalled/installed w/disk & from HP repeatedly.  Got latest Adobe everything. Have 29 7z folders in temp. Next?

Provost
pcwizard
Message 43 of 54 (417 Views)

Hi truthseeker53,

Follow the steps below to update the software to the latest version.

Step one: Clear temp directory

1. Type %temp% in the run or search for programs and files field

2. Highlight all the files in this folder, and then press the delete key to delete. If you get a message that the file is in use you will need to skip this file(s).

3. Continue with Step 2 below

Step two: Downloaded and extracted to your system:

1. Download the full feature software and drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=al-59236-4&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

2. Once the download is finished double click on the file to extract the software.

3. When the installation window opens press the cancel button to stop the installation

4. Type %temp% in the run or search for programs and files field

5. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

6. Right click on the folder, and select Copy

7. Close that window, and all your open windows, and then in the middle of the desktop right click your mouse, and select Paste. This will move the 7z folder to your desktop.

8. Open the 7z folder you just copied to your desktop

9. Open folder Util

10. Open folder CCC

11. Run the uninstall_L4

12. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

13. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools folder under all programs

14. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

15. Open the 7z folder, and then double click on the Setup.exe file which will be toward the bottom of the open window. Follow the on screen instructions to reinstall your printer.

Let me know what you find out?

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Honor Student
CRPutnam
Message 44 of 54 (412 Views)

This is to let anyone who read my original post/message that my issue has been resolved.  I'm still using my HP Deskjet F4180. Pretty much all of last year I was using this printer on my Power Spec with the 32-bit Windows 7 without the HP solution center working.  I received countless emails from the HP support team.  At first I tried each suggestion to no avail.  Finally I stopped reading them.  The printer worked for what I needed.  This Spring I bought a remanufactured "believe or not" HP Envy with Windows 8.  I tried installing the original software (which of course wasn't designed for Windows 8) and instead of a problem occuring,  I was redirected to HP where I found a download for all F4100 series printers.  I was amazed that I was now able to access the Solution Center and actually able to view ink levels again. Wow! Thank you someone at HP.

Top Student
truthseeker53
Message 45 of 54 (409 Views)

I have 29 7z folders???

Top Student
truthseeker53
Message 46 of 54 (401 Views)

Sorry, just saw the deletion instruct:smileyembarrassed:

Provost
pcwizard
Message 47 of 54 (389 Views)

Hi truthseeker53,

Let me know if the steps provided help resolve the issue for you?

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
raider7
Message 48 of 54 (384 Views)

Thanks!!
Provost
pcwizard
Message 49 of 54 (382 Views)

Hi raider7,

Glad to hear your issue has been resolved. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
truthseeker53
Message 50 of 54 (364 Views)

Well, wiz, thanx but still same prob.  I use Mozilla. That make any diff?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation