Question

Honor Student
romatlo
Message 1 of 3 (9,189 Views)

HP Universal Printer driver using USB local printers (HP OfficeJet 6310 AIO)

Hello,

Does anyone know if the HP Universal Printer Driver (HP UPD) supports USB local printers, without the need for the specific model printer driver? 

When I search the HP UPD feature guide, administrator's guide, etc, there are references to USB local device support but usually mentions using a traditional install or adding to Recent printers, but does not really mention the need for the specific driver.

It seems that the HP UPD is really designed for network printer support and management while supporting local printer connections, assuming that a specific model printer driver is installed?

I am attempting to install the HP UPD on my t5730 XPe thin client with a HP Officejet 6310 AIO printer.  I have tried Traditional Mode and Dynamic Mode but always prompted to install new drivers.  I did force it once and a print job seemed to send but the pages just printed blank, indefinitely.

Could anyone comment on how I should use the HP UPD driver with my USB printer or if any value it may bring for local use only?

Thanks!!

Student
ericslaw
Message 2 of 3 (8,753 Views)

Re: HP Universal Printer driver using USB local printers (HP OfficeJet 6310 AIO)

I also tried to install the universal driver.

It seems that it you can set the 'port' to USB but I have yet to figure out how to make it print.

ATI and NVidia can make universal drivers work, why cant HP?

Honor Student
mmctec
Message 3 of 3 (3,943 Views)

Re: HP Universal Printer driver using USB local printers (HP OfficeJet 6310 AIO)

When I switched the parallel connection between HP1200 laserjet to PC (COM) to USB cable to print on network, I selected a different printer port (LPT#) and everything printed fine after that. Selecting USB only resulted in printer errors.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation