Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I updated mny Laserjet 1020 driver on Windows 7 and now the printer defaults to double-sided printing, but I do not want that option turned on. I cannot find any property where I can turn this default off.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Glad to see you have the problem solved. Just to make this solution clear for everyone...I have attached a screenshot and directions below on how to shut off manual duplex printing..

Go to your printer icon. Click on printing preferences. Click on finishing tab and make sure:

1. To print on both sides (manually) =  checked. You may get a pop up with each print job after you do this, so beware :smileyhappy:

2. NOT to print on both sides (manually) = unchecked.

Also, make sure when you are printing a document that your set your printing preferences appropriately by clicking on printing properites (from the application you are printing from) and then making sure the print on both sides is unclicked or says no

1020DuplexPrinting.PNG

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue.  Have you found a solution yet?

HP Recommended

Go to your printer icon. Click on printing preferences. Click on finishing tab and make sure the print on both sides (manually) is checked). You may get a pop up with each print job after you do this, so beware 🙂

Also, make sure when you are printing a document that your set your printing preferences appropriately by clicking on printing oroperites (from the application you are printing from) and then making sure the print on both sides is unclicked or says no.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi

I tried to solution, but it is still printing both sides. On top of that 1st page often comes out empty...

Please help. I do not want to print double side. I have hp 1020

windows 7 home premium

Thanks

Mariusz

HP Recommended

Here is another option to try:

Go to printer properties> click on device settings> click on installable options> click on duplex unit> change to "not installed."

I don't have a 1020 unit handy so I am not sure if this unit is capable of duplexing or not. If it is a duplex capable unit, you will be able to do the above. If it is not a duplex unit, the above should already say "not installed."

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I am also having this problem since Windows 7 (64bit) last updated.  It's infuriating and makes the printer unuseable for me.  I've tried installing the latest drivers for the printer at HP.

I can't follow the above instructions.  Under properties there is no choice for device settings.   That's after double clicking the printer in Devices and Printers.  If I simply right click on the printer in Devices and Printers and choose properties, there is a tab called settings, but that just takes you back to Devices and Printers.

I'll bet that untinalling the latest windows update will do the trick, but it's going to reinstall itself automatically.  Can you see if HP can work on a driver update to fix this?  I have got two-sided printing turned off already.  Otherwise, I'm going to have to actually replace the printer!

HP Recommended

An update.  I just restored my computer back to before the windows 7 update & the printer is working again.  This isn't really a solution, but I wanted to update my previous post.

HP Recommended
whoops, I'm wrong, it's still happening even after going back to the pre-update windows status.
HP Recommended

Last post, I promise.  I found the problem.  I use google chrome & g-mail and whichever one controls printing, it had duplex or double sided printing checked.  Duh.

HP Recommended

Glad to see you have the problem solved. Just to make this solution clear for everyone...I have attached a screenshot and directions below on how to shut off manual duplex printing..

Go to your printer icon. Click on printing preferences. Click on finishing tab and make sure:

1. To print on both sides (manually) =  checked. You may get a pop up with each print job after you do this, so beware :smileyhappy:

2. NOT to print on both sides (manually) = unchecked.

Also, make sure when you are printing a document that your set your printing preferences appropriately by clicking on printing properites (from the application you are printing from) and then making sure the print on both sides is unclicked or says no

1020DuplexPrinting.PNG

I am an HP employee.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.