Question

Tutor
cheriberi
Message 1 of 11 (19,769 Views)

HP taking up too much memory...what can I remove?

Hi, I have an older desktop computer (purchased in 2002) and memory is definitely an issue for me. This morning I checked Add/Remove programs to see what I might not need and found that there was ALOT for HP. I've had a couple different HP printers since I got this PC, but I am currently connected to a HP OfficeJet 6310 All-In-One Printer (I previously had a PhotoSmart printers). So... my question is, which of the following can I remove from this PC without creating a problem for myself (some of it is probably from the previous HP printers): HP Customer Participation Program 7.0 (292.00 MB) HP Document Viewer 7.0 (3.09 MB) HP Imaging Device Functions 7.0 (3.09MB) HP Photo Imaging Software (46.74 MB) HP Photo Printing Software (19.47 MB) HP Photosmart Premier Software (292.00 MB) HP Photosmart Printer Series (Remove Only) (36.03 MB) HP Photosmart OfficeJet and Deskjet 7.0.A (44.35 MB) HP Share-to-Web (3.07MB) HP Solution Center 7.0 (3.09MB) Shop for HP Supplies (292.00 MB) All of these together take up 1,034.92 MB!! Please help me figure out what can be removed!! Also, what is the best way to remove the old "HP Photosmart 1115 Series" printer driver? Thanks! Cheryl
Tutor
techsupport999
Message 2 of 11 (19,766 Views)

Re: HP taking up too much memory...what can I remove?

Hi Cheryl,

You can remove the following program:

HP Customer Participation Program 7.0 (292.00 MB)

HP Document Viewer 7.0 (3.09 MB)

HP Photo Imaging Software (46.74 MB)

HP Photo Printing Software (19.47 MB) (optional)

HP Photosmart Premier Software (292.00 MB)  (optional)

HP Photosmart Printer Series (Remove Only) (36.03 MB)

HP Share-to-Web (3.07MB) 

Shop for HP Supplies (292.00 MB)

You need to have:

HP Imaging Device Functions 7.0 (3.09MB)

HP Solution Center 7.0 (3.09MB)

Student
Emmarhh
Message 3 of 11 (17,422 Views)

i Kind of have the same issue as her/him ...

out of these which DO I hav to keep?? :/

HP Intergrated Module with Bluetooth wireless technology
HP Product Detection
HP Software Update
HP SolutionCentre 7.0

?????

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 11 (17,418 Views)

Emmarhh wrote:

i Kind of have the same issue as her/him ...

out of these which DO I hav to keep?? :/

HP Intergrated Module with Bluetooth wireless technology
HP Product Detection
HP Software Update
HP SolutionCentre 7.0

?????

Please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model? What operating system? How is the printer connected - USB, wired LAN, Wireless LAN, bluetooth?

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
Awesomeness
Message 5 of 11 (13,788 Views)

HP i need your help.

Are all of those components in the Hewlett-Packard folder important?

I only own a mini laptop so of course it means limited memory capacity and the problem is that system update is taking up too much memory in my computer. Please tell me what i can remove/delete to recover some space.

Thank you

Distinguished Professor
SeanS
Message 6 of 11 (13,458 Views)

Hey there. I would suggest you posting your issues in the Notebook Computer section that can be found here: HP Notebook Computers

This is the printer section so you may have a hard time getting users to answer your post.

Best of luck!

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Tutor
jimvt75
Message 7 of 11 (10,245 Views)

I have attempted to remove HP Supplies and HP Customer Program but they still show up on the Remove Programs page.

I want them gone!

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 8 of 11 (10,151 Views)

HP taking up too much memory...what can I remove?

Hello jimvt75

What printer and what operating system are you using? Are you choosing to Uninstall, change, or repair? Sometimes Uninstall doesn't show and you can uninstall/alter the installation through the change button.
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Tutor
jimvt75
Message 9 of 11 (10,147 Views)

Got rid of them through the registry!

Too bad you make it so difficult.

Student
SharksFan
Message 10 of 11 (6,703 Views)

I have an HP J4550 All In One and an HP LaserJet 4l.  I need to clean up as much space as posssible on the computer to which they are attached.  I use that machine as a print server and several other devices print through that machine.  Microsoft "Add and Remove Programs" lists the following installed programs:

HP Document Manager 1.0

HP Imaging Device Functions 10.0

HP Officejet J4500 Series

HP Photosmart Essentials 3.5

HP Smart Web Printing 4.60

HP Solution Center 13.0

HP Update

Can I remove any of these in order to reclaim some space?  

I am trying to reduce the amount of data on my computer so I will be able to get it to fit on a 160 GB PATA drive which I am hoping to use to replace the aging EIDE 320 GB drive currently on the machine because, in today's world, a 160 GB PATA drive is more reasonably priced than a 320 GB PATA drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation