Question

Honor Student
PokerNut1957
Message 1 of 8 (271 Views)

Hate HP Updates

I will NEVER allow HP updates to run on my computer again!!!

Why don't they make sure it won't bork up your existing setup before they trash it?

I allowed the HP Update that my machine told me needed to run tonight.  Prior to that, I had a working printer, scanner, fax, etc.  Now I have nothing.  Fortunately, I saved the install software from the last time this happened to me and will install again.  However, if this is what I can count on in the future, the Brother Laser Printer is starting to look REAL nice!!!

Win 7, HP C6180 AIO

Distinguished Professor
SeanS
Message 2 of 8 (262 Views)

Re: Hate HP Updates

Hey there. Sorry to hear about your troubles and I understand your frustration. Could you explain more on the problem? Do you receive an error message now, or is the printer no longer recognized?

Thanks,

SeanS

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Student
HLHerbert
Message 3 of 8 (259 Views)

I have the exact same issue! Had two perfectly working Officejets L7780 All in One. At some point in March 2012, HP update killed the scanning, faxing, or any function that had to come from HP Solution Center. I can only use the buttons on the machine. I can print to the printer by uninstalling everything and manually installing the printer drivers.

I've spent ALL day....uninstalling the software, reinstalling it (tried reinstalling it after cleaning out registry, running it as administrator) nothing works. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit (new machine, I did not upgrade from Vista). HP solution center (new version just downloaded from HP site). It gets all the way to the end after installing the printer but has a fatal error on configuring the device.

I HATE HP updates....I think I will contact my Attorney General's office to see how HP gets away with breaking something on my system and yet won't provide me the support to fix it unless I pay them for it.

So, you broke two All in One's that I paid for and now, you won't support your screw up!!! I will never buy an HP anything again until this is corrected!!

Heidi

Master's Graduate
JonW
Message 4 of 8 (235 Views)

Hi,

Is anyone able to remember what the update was called that broke the installation?

JonW

I work for HP
Retired
SedonaF
Message 5 of 8 (217 Views)
Top Student
Sherich
Message 6 of 8 (214 Views)

I can relate to all the frustration.  It has happened to me too.  Also seems like every time I have to reinstall the software there are issues and I spend hours & hours working through it.  Then finally I have to pay to get it resolved.  I really like my 8500 but my ongoing frustration with HP software and updates is driving me away from HP when the time comes for another printer.  It is a shame . . .    

Honor Student
PokerNut1957
Message 7 of 8 (191 Views)

In order to answer some of the questions that were asked in the responses, I am adding this comment.

---The update made my printer installation completely disappear.  My printer (All in One) was no longer in the printer and device list.

---The update apparently recognized that there was a problem and left a shortcut on my desktop that instructed me to do some steps, supposedly to fix this failed update.  The process that was initiated by this little gem, hung up and didn't work.

---I couldn't uninstall the printer software because it was not found in the installed software list.

---I finally decided to restore to an earlier point and all started working again.

With this said--"HP...LEAVE MY **bleep** COMPUTER ALONE".  If you can't provide software that works without borking up my computer at critical times (any time), then I will consider that when I replace it.

Honor Student
PokerNut1957
Message 8 of 8 (190 Views)

I appreciate the offer of help. I have responded below.
I am quite unhappy with HP right now. I had to fix the issue myself and this happens TOO OFTEN!!! Why force me to update with constant nagging when I was quite satisfied with the way my computer worked already?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation