Question

Honor Student
ccf815
Message 1 of 14 (6,420 Views)

How do I clean print heads and check ink levels?

New computer, allowed Windows 7 to run the printer and now I can't clean the heads. Pretty much useless if the print quality is this bad. Need the HP director or some sort of software control. Suppose to be a patch... Any help?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 14 (6,411 Views)

Re: How do I clean print heads and check ink levels?

Please read this post then provide some details. What printer model? What operating system? How is the printer connected - USB, wired LAN, Wireless LAN, bluetooth?

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
ccf815
Message 3 of 14 (6,407 Views)

It's a PSC 1350, using a new computer with windows 7 connected with USB. Tried to download the software from the site, but it insists on letting Windows 7 control the driver install. Looking for a patch or software I can download to check ink levels and clean printer heads like before. Printer is no good without some cleaning and adjusting.

Student
genna1
Message 4 of 14 (6,201 Views)

I am having the same problem since getting a new computer and going to Windows 7. Any answers please?

Student
iroc8
Message 5 of 14 (6,108 Views)

Same here.  I am using a HP970cxi connected an HPE-190t via usb.  New HP cartridges but I'm still getting messy or no colors.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 14 (6,104 Views)

I do not have an answer for the PSC 1350 or the unknown printer, but for the Deskjet 970 you can do the following:

• To perform a head cleaning turn on the printer.  Next press and hold the power button and while holding the power button press the X button twice, then release the power button.  A more extensive cleaning can be done by pressing the formfeed button once (more cleaning) or twice (most cleaning) after pressing the X buttin twice.  Note that it is rare to ever need to perform a cleaning - on average only about one of a half dozen or so cartridges would need even a single cleaning during the life of the cartrdige.  Performing unnecessary cleaning will use more ink, shortening the life of the cartrdige (and the printer).
  • To check the ink levels open the lid with the power on.  The carriage will move to one of five icons molded into the back of the 970 which show either happy (no issues), low black or color or electrical issues with either the black or color cartrdige.  See this page for a diagram (for a different printer, but same for the Deskjet 970).  

The most common issue on the Deskjet 900 series for color issues relates to missing yellow and/or cyan, typically due to outdated cartridges.  Check the "install by" date on the cartridges or check the warranty date as shown here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
Nytehawq
Message 7 of 14 (5,861 Views)

Would you happen to know the procedures for  a Photosmart 8450?  I recently upgraded to Windows 7.

Honor Student
Nytehawq
Message 8 of 14 (5,855 Views)

D'OH!  Never mind.  I was so spoiled by being able to perform cleaning from my computer, I forgot that there are tools that can be accessed directly on the printer itself.  Sorry for the pervious post.

Honor Student
jaking1
Message 9 of 14 (3,894 Views)

I am getting lines of no ink through my printed material.  I cleaned the ink cardridge but now my lines are worse.  Also I use to get a gage pop up that informed me how much ink was left.  That I am no longer getting and would like to set it up again.

Thanks

Honor Student
jaking1
Message 10 of 14 (3,892 Views)

HP Deskjet F 380

Windows 7

USB

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation