How do I create a small word document to send as email attachment? (1074 Views)
Tutor
Janset
Message 1 of 5 (1,074 Views)

How do I create a small word document to send as email attachment?

Hi there. 

I hope that I am posting this question from the correct venue. If not please advise as from where I should do so the next time I have a question.  

Today I had a need to send a copy of a 2 page document via email. I went into HP Director and selected "Scan Document" with my HP PSC 2410 Photosmart machine and pathing the scanned files to the desktop where I could find them and subsequentally attach them to an email.

I was horrified to see that a half page of typed information registered at about 2.5 MB. The two files together came out at 5.7 MB, needless to say that the email  was rejected as the attachments were too big.

Yet when I susequently re-scanned the document as "Scan Picture", it only came up at 650 KB or there abouts each.

I finished up sending it as that, but I think by so doing the recipiant can not do anythig with them other than view as it is a image that is viewed in Photo Shop format.....(I am going from memory here now) and I have no idea as to what can be done from that format.

My question then being:

How can I scan a document with HP Director using "Scan Document" so that it remains a (word or PDF) document that can be worked  by the recipient and just as important, that that document being small enough to be sent as an email attachment?

Regards 

PhD Student
smartfriend
Message 2 of 5 (1,062 Views)

Re: How do I create a small word document to send as email attachment?

Hi there,

I have a suggestion. This might be a little tricky but I'm pretty this will work and will help you even a lot.

You can try upgrading you HP Director to HP Solution Center. Please click on the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3560280&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

Choose your operating system as you haven't specified what operating you have. After that, please click on the FULL FEATURE SOFTWARE AND DRIVER then SAVE it to your desktop. Please do not click on RUN. Save it first. After the download is complete, click on RUN then install the software. Check on the box that says, "If you are unable to connect your device, click here"...You can find that during the installation process. After a successful installation, restart your computer. Open HP Solution Center and try to click on SCAN DOCUMENT. You should be able to find there DOCUMENT TO PDF or DOCUMENT TO RTF.

Let me know if that helps.

Please click on KUDOS if you find my solution helpful.
Honor Student
Jansetau
Message 3 of 5 (1,048 Views)

Hi Smartfriend.

All fixed. As it turned out it was operator error  :smileysad: 

After hit the print button (or there abouts) in the window that appears is a drop down box. When clicked on I am provided with several choices and one of them is to send as an email, and believe me, the size is a lot smaller as a test proved.

But as to you suggestion, that sounds like an upgrade, is that the case and is it free or do I have to pay? Is your program suggestion any better that what I already have, more to the point, is it compatible with the psc2410 photosmart all in one?

Sorry I forgot, I have Windows XP Pro SP3 installed. 

Regards

PhD Student
smartfriend
Message 4 of 5 (1,038 Views)

It is a lot better and the download is for free. And I suppose it is compatible with your printer.
Please click on KUDOS if you find my solution helpful.
Honor Student
Jansetau
Message 5 of 5 (1,027 Views)

Hi smartfriend.

Well I decided to check your site out from the link you provided. When the page came up I entered the details of my 2410 Printer Scanner Copier and clicked on the button that would analyse my machine as to what was required.

A window popped up saying my computer was being checked, When my model came up I selected it and that is where it all ended. I  literally entered a revolving door. The the scanning mode, a blank window, and back to the window with my model identification. During the rotation each page opened for a second or so before it went blank and the next one would come up again. Over and over again.

I left this rotation run for about 10 minutes, and nothing changed. So it is either the site does not like my machine or there is a problem with the HP site. I will give it a go again later today or tomorrow and see what happens.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation