Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I think that in most cases the necessary options are there but can be very hard to find. 

I agree it would be better if the notifications were off by default instead of on by default. 

This is the detailed way to fix it in Yosemite

These instructions work for Yosemite (OSX 10.10)  and HP Inkjet 6500A Plus. 

1.IMPORTANT: Make sure the printer is ON and AWAKE and that your computer can see it. These instructions won't work otherwise. 

2. Go to 

Hard Drive > Library > Printers > hp > Utilities > HP Utility.app

(make sure you find the correct “Library” folder. OS X often has many. (The one you need is the one at “root”. Which means that it is not inside any other folders.)

3. Open

HP Utility.app

4. Look in the left-hand column for your printer and select it.

i. If you don’t see a left-hand column, click the rectangular “Devices” icon at the top and that should make it show up.

ii. Your printer may shop up with two similar but slightly different names. The right one is the one that causes lots of icons to appear in the right hand pane.

iii. If you don’t see lots of icons, click on the “All Settings” cog icon in the top menu.

5. Click the “Message Center” icon.

6. In the top right of the right hand pane of the Message Center, find the small grey button that says “Settings”. Click on “Settings”

7. Under “Alert Settings”, uncheck “Display HP Alerts”

8. Click “Apply”

I hope this helps someone. 

HP Recommended

I have tried all the "solutions" here and none work.  I have an HP 5660 and I can't get rid of the low ink window/popup. 

HP Recommended

Hi, I've tried this. The boxes were already unchecked but I am still getting the low on ink window/popup. And I don't have Growl.

HP Recommended

I also cannot find anything called message center. Please help.

HP Recommended

What is the HP utility?

HP Recommended

Hi

I tried to reset the notifications per your instructions.  unfortunately this did not work on my "envy4500" printer.

Any other advice, suggestions?

HP Recommended

You hit the nail on the head when you said "They sure want you to buy new ink"....the truth of the matter is, all these comptuer companies now are constantly trying to find more and more ways to FORCE the consumer into spending more money than they should have to....the ink catridges in my older HP printer usually last up to a YEAR.....with this printer, i can put brand new cartridges in it and print maybe 5 or 6 pages, then it tells me my INK levels are low.....its a RIPOFF is what it is.....Even as i speak, i just checked my ink levels and guess what?.....i just replace my Magenta cartridge last week...i printed THREE PAGES and now is already saying my Magenta level is about 1/4 low.....my other three colors - yellow, cyan and black, all show extremely low, but what really looks suspicious is their low levels are EXACTLY the same!.....what are the odds on THAT happening?....And i don't even use this printer as much as i used the older printer....its a good thing because if i did, i'd be buying new cartridges every other week!.....there should be laws against bilking people like this...there is no reason in the world that i shouldn't be able to print with only one cartridge empty, except for GREED

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.