I.R.I.S OCR removal (41336 Views)
Top Student
EddieDr
Message 1 of 18 (41,336 Views)

I.R.I.S OCR removal

How do I get rid of the I.R.I.S OCR software which came with my J6480 ? It has zero docs and seems utterly useless.
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 18 (41,312 Views)

Re: I.R.I.S OCR removal

Bring up a 'Run' window and type 'appwiz.cpl' and click on. In the window that opens, just look for HP OCR Software or 'OCR Software by ReadIRIS' and uninstall it.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
EddieDr
Message 3 of 18 (41,283 Views)

I tried removing it from the usual Add/Remove Programs control panel item ( Programs and Features under Vista ) but when I did it seems like it just removed it from the programs list without actually removing the software. When I try re-installing it the HP installation program says it is already installed, so I can no longer re-install it but I also doubt it has been removed. I can find no record of it in a program group, nor any help file associated with the OCR scanning program.

It seems as if this OCR software is either just vaporware or, if it really exists, it has no information anywhere associated with it as to its use or functionality.

How do I tell if it really exists on my computer, how to use it, or what it is about ? I do not mind so much if it does not exist but it is fraudulent of HP to claim that it distributes the J6480 with free OCR software if it can not be used, can not be documented, can not be uninstalled/re-installed. 

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 18 (41,266 Views)

wow wow wow... dont jump to conclusions of fraud by HP. The OCR functionality is integrated with the HP printer software. so if you start to scan a document from HP Solution Center and select the destination as Micrsoft Word or any other text editing program, then OCR will be performed after scanning. If the program is not listed under Add/Remove programs, then it's not installed. After you insert the CD, click on 'Install More Software', and you should find the OCR software listed as a program you can install again.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
EddieDr
Message 5 of 18 (41,242 Views)

My whole point is that even though the OCR is not shown in Add/Remove programs, I am unable to install it from the "Install More Software" because the HP installation thinks it is installed.
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 6 of 18 (41,233 Views)

Oh, in that case it must be a leftover registry mismatch. Lets perform a Level 3 uninstallation to completely remove these programs and reinstall them.

Insert the installation CD, and browse the contents of the CD. Now open the 'util' folder, and then open the 'ccc' folder. Now run the file 'Uninstall_L2.bat'(Uninstall_L2_64.bat if you're using a 64 bit OS), and let the uninstallation complete and restart the PC when required. When you're reinstalling the software, do a Custom/Advanced installation and make sure OCR software doesnt show 'Already Installed' next to it. Now go ahead and install the software.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
EddieDr
Message 7 of 18 (41,227 Views)

The 'Uninstall_L2.bat' ( there is no 'Uninstall_L2_64.bat' for Vista 64 ) did not uninstall everything, but when I tried 'Uninstall_L4.bat' that succeeded in uninstalling everything so that the next time I installed the software the OCR IRIS was successfully re-installed. Of course it would be better when one uses the Uninstall button from the main menu of the installation that it actually uninstalls all the software, but it does not.

Now that I have the OCR properly installed again I will go back to my other complaint. Where is the doc about this software ? How do I use it ? I open the Help file and can find absolutely nothing on it. I suspect it is folded in to some other HP functionality in my installation but what it is I do not know.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 8 of 18 (41,308 Views)

See this link on how to use OCR software
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
EddieDr
Message 9 of 18 (41,302 Views)

Your link takes me to an explanattion which does not correspond to the J6480. In particular your link mentions Settings | Scan Document but there is no such button in the settings page of the HP Solutions Center. Instead there is a Scan Settings button and a list of menu items when the cursor goes over this button. None of these menu items correspond to the "Scan Document Settings..." mentioned in the link you have given me.
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 10 of 18 (41,300 Views)

What options do you have under the Scan Settings menu?
I am an ex-HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation