Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I can do everything but scan. If I click on "Scan Photo" inside the HP Solution Center a window pops up saying "Imaging Device not found" with an extended error information code of 8, [(1,0, -2147221164)]. I've gone through all the uninstall and reinstall instructions to no avail. From both disk and website. Ran the doctor tool. I am running Windows 7 Home.

HP Officejet 8500 909g

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

1. First Make sure webscan is working.. here is the step on how to do it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbWpgww5I-M

This is your workaround in future scan too 🙂

Also let us know, whether you can scan from Microsoft Paint. Launch the Microsoft Paint->File->From Scanner and Camera and try to scan.

2. If first steps works fine, then you scanner and networ is fine. Now the problem is with PC. Follow below steps to trouble shoot.

1. Go to the devicemanger(just type device manager on Start->Search) and make sure you device is ENABLED under imaging and devices

EnableImagingDevices.jpg

3.  Also make sure your windows imaging service up and running. You can do it by launching services (click start->Search->type services)

WindowsImagingServices.jpg

Now restar the PC and see the scan app is works...

Happy Printing

Click on the "Thumbs up"button on the bottom to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

HP Recommended

Hi trappermartinda

this document may solve your problem

The HP imaging device was not found on the network' Message Displays in Windows

if you have any firewall software install, please refer solution three in the document to add HP software binaries to firewall exception list and enabling the network port necessary for HP network scan to work well.

Follow these steps to access HP program files and ports needed for scanning that the firewall might be blocking.
Step one: Add programs to the firewall exception list
  1. Open the firewall program.
  2. Add the following files to the Highly Trusted programs list:
  3. hpqkygrp.exe , located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory.
  4. hpqscnvw.exe , located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory.
  5. hpzipm12.exe , located under the C:\windows\system32 directory.
  6. hpzinw12.exe , located under the C:\windows\system32 directory.
  7. hpqtra08.exe , located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory.
  8. hpqthb08.exe , located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory.
    NOTE:All of the files mentioned are not present on the computer.
  10. If all these executable files are already added, then check whether full access has been granted to them.
  11. Open the following ports on the firewall utility by following the instructions provided by the manufacturer:

12. UDP ports: 161, 427 and 137
  13. TCP ports: 9220, 9500 and 9290

i hope it helps

I am employed by HP .....(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

Thanks for the communication prabaa. I cant even get past the first step. I enter my IP in the browser, that comes up fine. I dont have the ability to open anything but the security setting under admin settings.Untitled.png

Webscan is found in the information tab and I can scan but only .png/jpeg format. I need pdf. The conversion from .png/jpeg to pdf looks horrible even with max resolution.

Untitled2.png

I can scan from MS paint but same thing, only jpeg/png.

All imagining devices are ENABLED in the device manager.

WIA is auto/started.

I did however see up a networking file where I can scan pdf into but this will not sufice as I constently need to adjust settings for the scan that would usually be done with the HP Solution Center.

csmys had an interesting work around but I could not find more than half the files he suggest.

I need to be able to scan from the HP Solution center. Thanks for your continued help!

HP Recommended

I found item #3 & #7 but the others don't exist. See as follows

hpqkygrp.exe , located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory. Exists

hpqscnvw.exe , located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory. Doesn't exist
hpzipm12.exe , located under the C:\windows\system32 directory. Doesn't exist, found the .dll file
hpzinw12.exe , located under the C:\windows\system32 directory. Doesn't exist, found the .dll file
hpqtra08.exe , located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory. Exists
hpqthb08.exe , located under the C:\program files\HP\digital imaging\bin directory. Doesn't exist

How should I proceed?

Untitled2.png

HP Recommended

This worked for me:

I have had this same problem and after reading multiple threads and trying literally everything suggested, nothing worked until I read the solution posted above by Prabaa about checking the device manager.  In the Device Manger under imaging devices I found my printer was listed twice.  I unistalled one of them but still had the problem (after restart etc.).  I then did another complete uninstall and on a whim checked the Device Manager again and found that my printer was STILL listed under imaging devices (this is after the uninstall but before reinstalling).  Again on a whim, I looked at other items in the Device Manager and found a listing for "Other Devices"...and my printer was listed there too!  I uninstalled it as well (using right click, "uninstall" in both cases).   I restarted the computer, did the full install again and eureka!!!! my scanner works again!

I hope this will work for someone else too.  I can't believe the hundreds of people with this problem getting no help from HP.

HP Recommended
Thank you so much. Had exactly the same problem. could print but not scan. Went back and uninstalled my printer, checked devices and sure enough there was a second one. Did a restart uninstalled second one, came back checked under device manager and there were 2 copies of my printer under other devices. All in all I had to restart my computer 4 times, but before reinstalling I did a double check and nothing was left. Did the reinstall and WOOHOO it worked. Thank you sOOOO much!!!!
HP Recommended
Thank you Stennerdog !!!!! My prev message above.
HP Recommended

@Stennerdog wrote:

This worked for me:

I have had this same problem and after reading multiple threads and trying literally everything suggested, nothing worked until I read the solution posted above by Prabaa about checking the device manager.  In the Device Manger under imaging devices I found my printer was listed twice.  I unistalled one of them but still had the problem (after restart etc.).  I then did another complete uninstall and on a whim checked the Device Manager again and found that my printer was STILL listed under imaging devices (this is after the uninstall but before reinstalling).  Again on a whim, I looked at other items in the Device Manager and found a listing for "Other Devices"...and my printer was listed there too!  I uninstalled it as well (using right click, "uninstall" in both cases).   I restarted the computer, did the full install again and eureka!!!! my scanner works again!

I hope this will work for someone else too.  I can't believe the hundreds of people with this problem getting no help from HP.

Thank you so much, this solution worked like a charm on my windows 10 Creators Proffesional 64.

like everyone here, before doing this I had spent over  5 continous hours doing every suggestion found all over the internet, including modifying my firewall, turns out all I had to do was follow THIS solution and viola, my scanner works like it did on windows 7 Proffesional 64, again thank you so much, so very much

HP Recommended

I am so happy to hear it.

Thanks again for using HP!!!

Click on the "Thumbs up"button on the bottom to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.