Re: Ink Cartridge Compatibility - Firmware Problem? (150 Views)
Student
billgjos
Message 1 of 4 (1,040 Views)

Ink Cartridge Compatibility - Firmware Problem?

I bought an HP Deskjet F4580 from a major supplier in the UK last week.  The information I received on line was that a 121 Cartridge would be compatible. My supplied 300 black cartridge has now run out. Only 121 cartridges are available where I live (Nigeria). They appear identical to the 300 model and fit into the caddy. The printer recognises the 121 cartridge but comes up with a message 'incompatible' I have not been able to find a way around this problem.

Is there anyone that knows how to fix this. My guess is that the major supplier in the UK supplied a printer with a firmware version that demands the 300 cartridges. Is there any way I can download and install a firmware version that would allow me to print with the 121 cartridges.

Or any other way around this problem.

bill

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 4 (1,029 Views)

Re: Ink Cartridge Compatibility - Firmware Problem?

If you bought the printer in the UK and then moved to Nigeria you will need to Contact HP for a regionalization reset.  You will need to speak to HP on the phone while having access to your printer and computer.  They will ask you to print a special diagnostic page, then talk you through resetting the region.  Once you have changed the region the printer will take the 121 cartridges but will no longer accept the 300 series cartridges.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
rlaun01
Message 3 of 4 (150 Views)

Hi Bob - I too need a region reset.  When I contacted HP, they are telling me that I have to pay for a service call.  Another post in the forums said that it should be covered in the cartridge warranty, and no charge.  Do you know if there is a cost for this?

Many thanks.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 4 (146 Views)

There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset".You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.  Note the web page says "If your printer or your cartridges are within warranty, HP will help you resolve this issue" (emphasis mine).  You may need to ask to speak to a supervisor, only some of the agents are trained in the regionalization reset procedure.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation