Question

Tutor
cheriberi
Message 1 of 12 (11,114 Views)

Install HP Photosmart 1115 in Windows Vista??

We just bought a new laptop (which has Windows Vista) and I can't figure out how to install our existing printer to it. I found the printer on the HP site (it's an HP Photosmart 1115), but Windows Vista is not listed. Does that mean I can't install this printer?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheryl

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 12 (11,016 Views)

Re: Install HP Photosmart 1115 in Windows Vista??

cheriberi wrote:

We just bought a new laptop (which has Windows Vista) and I can't figure out how to install our existing printer to it. I found the printer on the HP site (it's an HP Photosmart 1115), but Windows Vista is not listed. Does that mean I can't install this printer?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheryl

See here

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
cheriberi
Message 3 of 12 (10,971 Views)

I went to the Deskjet 970 drivers (there are two... 970cse and 970cxi). Neither has a driver download. Both say there something generic I can use, but I don't see it when I try to print. I keep getting blank pages.

Also, when I connect the HP Photosmart 1115, I keep getting a message that says "Windows needs to install driver software for your generic IEEE 1284.4 printing support". I don't know what that's for. Maybe something I did wrong when trying to install the XP driver for 1115 (before I realized that this laptop is Vista).

Any ideas?

Cheryl

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 12 (10,947 Views)

The Deskjet 970 drivers are built into Vista, you do not need to download anything.  Go to Start, Control Panel, Printers, Add Printer, Local Printer, select the port type, and then select the Deskjet 970 series drivers.

I am assuming you have the Photosmart 1115 that uses the 45 and 78 cartridges, not the more recent PSC 1115....

Regards,

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Tutor
cheriberi
Message 5 of 12 (10,885 Views)

Nope... it still isn't working! I don't know what I am doing wrong. I tried adding the "HP DeskJet 970Cse" as a local printer to port 1, but when I try sending the test page it immediately errors out. I deleted that printer and tried the "HP DeskJet 970Cxi", and the same thing happened with that one.

Cheryl

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 12 (10,855 Views)

cheriberi wrote:

Nope... it still isn't working! I don't know what I am doing wrong. I tried adding the "HP DeskJet 970Cse" as a local printer to port 1, but when I try sending the test page it immediately errors out. I deleted that printer and tried the "HP DeskJet 970Cxi", and the same thing happened with that one.

OK, most likley you have an issue with the port selection.  How is the printer connected, USB or parallel?  See here for information to tell the difference.  If the connection is parallel you will typically want to use LPT1: as the selected port.  USB printers will typically use a port like USB001: or DOT4:.  You can select the port by going to the Printers folder, right click on the Deskjet 970, Run as Administrator, Properties, Ports and then select the appropraite port.

Regards,

Student
dustingold09
Message 7 of 12 (10,838 Views)

[ Edited ]

May be  Vista won't support the driver software you have. The best you can do is run Windows XP and use the drivers supplied by that operating system.

Message Edited by dustingold09 on 09-11-2009 03:25 AM
Tutor
cheriberi
Message 8 of 12 (10,805 Views)

I changed to a DOT port and tried sending something and now it shows that the document is waiting (no error this time), but now I keep getting a message that the color cartridge is not installed correctly. I've taken it out and put it back in about 20 times and can't get rid of the message! I tried turning it off and on again. When I did that, the message changed to something being wrong with the black cartridge. This is very frustrating!!

Cheryl

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 9 of 12 (10,800 Views)

[ Edited ]

cheriberi wrote:

I changed to a DOT port and tried sending something and now it shows that the document is waiting (no error this time), but now I keep getting a message that the color cartridge is not installed correctly. I've taken it out and put it back in about 20 times and can't get rid of the message! I tried turning it off and on again. When I did that, the message changed to something being wrong with the black cartridge. This is very frustrating!!

OK, you are making some progress.  Try cleaning the contacts on the cartridges as shown in this link.  If cleaning the cartridge contacts does not resolve the issue you may need new cartridges, especially if they are very old.  You can check the cartridge warranty date (two years from manufacture date) as shown here

Regards,

Message Edited by Bob_Headrick on 09-11-2009 07:32 PM

Honor Student
lychee4ever
Message 10 of 12 (8,402 Views)

wooooooo!!! i got it!!!!!  um my hp photosmart 1115 only works on XP so taking ur advice i added the hp deskjet 970Cse with the port that says generic cuz i'm using a USB connection. and it works!!!!! :] yay thanks a lot!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation