Installing DeskJet 970 CSe over network to Win 7 64-bit system (2872 Views)
Student
scott_jung
Message 1 of 10 (2,872 Views)
Accepted Solution

Installing DeskJet 970 CSe over network to Win 7 64-bit system

My deskjet 970Cse is hard connected to our desktop running Windows XP Pro. I just bought a new laptop running Windows 7 64-bit. I was able to install the printer connecting the USB cable to the laptop without a hitch, however, I can't install it over the network. When I click Add Printer, Windows is able to find the printer, but after trying to connect, it says it can't find a driver on the network. When I click on OK to locate one manually, it asks me to locate the INF file. I tried pointing it to the Windows XP INF file I downloaded from the HP website but it says (obviously) that it cannot connect to the printer.

I'm assuming that if I'm able to connect the printer locally that connecting to it over a network should be able to work? Any workarounds to get it to work?

Or is my issue something HP might/will/won't solve when it supposedly releases Windows 7 drivers?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 10 (2,862 Views)

Re: Installing DeskJet 970 CSe over network to Win 7 64-bit system

Do the following:  On the Windows 7 computer go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, Local Printer, Create a new port, Local port, Next, \\xpcomputername\dj970 (where you put in the actual share name of the computer and printer), OK, Windows Update (and wait for the list to repopulate), HP Deskjet 970 ,  Next, Next.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
thinklynn
Message 3 of 10 (2,197 Views)

I tried your instructions on my win 7 system, but when it came to the point of actually selecting the printer (After I had created the local port name, etc.) there was NO ENTRY for the deskjet 970cse in the drop down list.  So .. what do I do?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 10 (2,190 Views)

As mentioned above you will need to click on Windows Update and wait for the list to repopulate.  The Deskjet 970 will appear under HP (not Hewlett-Packard).

DJ970HP.png

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

Honor Student
thinklynn
Message 5 of 10 (2,181 Views)

Thanks so much.  That worked!! .. Earlier, when it didn't seem to work, I had selected HP and it seemed to be only dealing with the first printer in the HP list, when I requested the windows update.  Anyway .. this time it worked fine, I did the local port thing (which I was used to from Vista) and I just printed a test page.  Phew.  Thanks.

Student
journeyman
Message 6 of 10 (747 Views)

This worked for me as well. Spent most of day attempting before I found this. I knew it could be done because prior to bringing a new computer on line I had done it several times but not this time, until I read this
Many thanks!
Honor Student
markmitaly
Message 7 of 10 (685 Views)

I have a problem installing 970 cse, win 7.  HP site only gives option of 970 cxi. Therefore my printer 970 cse won't give me the option of double sided printing anymore... any suggestions?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 10 (676 Views)

markmitaly wrote:

I have a problem installing 970 cse, win 7.  HP site only gives option of 970 cxi. Therefore my printer 970 cse won't give me the option of double sided printing anymore... any suggestions?

The Deskjet 970cse and cxi drivers are the same.  You will need to enable the duplexer as described in the first part of this post in the Vista/Win 7 Duplex Printing Troubleshooting Guide here.

Honor Student
bobalbert
Message 9 of 10 (372 Views)

Hello, thank you for your clarification in how to install this old driver on a 64-bit Win 7 OS.

I remember from when i bought my first Win 7 laptop (august 2011) i somehow used the same procedure to get my good old thrifty HP Photosmart1000 operational on that machine.

Now that my daughter just bought her a new Win 8 laptop, i finally seemed to be forced by their irrevocable denial of service to that kind of legacy hardware, to buy me a new printer...although my P1000 was still working like a charm :smileysad:

But here it comes... I used the same instructions as mentioned above to get my P1000 working on this new Win 8 64 bit environment !

So screw you Microsoft support people forcing me to send my P1000 to the junk yard, while it was still in perfect condition to serve for many years ! :smileyvery-happy:

Honor Student
bobalbert
Message 10 of 10 (370 Views)

I also use this guide to get from the Win8 environment into the appropriate Configuration screen :

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28494/~/manual-installation-of-a-downloaded-dri...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation