Question

Honor Student
exumsta
Message 1 of 9 (2,049 Views)
Accepted Solution

L7680 driver installation wont work with Windows 8.1

[ Edited ]

I recently bought a new HP Pavilion laptop and updated to windows 8.1 not long after the purchase.  I tried to install my Officejet Pro L7680 all in one printer today and was unsuccessful on every attempt.  The driver/software will download but when I attempt to install the software I get a message of "cannot find file specified".  I called HP and spoke to a rep who informed me that my printer was too old and wasn't compatible with the Windows 8.1 system.  He said there was no update available for my printer and basically I would have to buy a new printer.  Bad answer!!! 

The issue is a missing file from the Preload Drivers folder: Msiexec.exe

Please help me find a way to install my printer

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 2 of 9 (2,019 Views)

Re: L7680 driver installation wont work with Windows 8.1

Hi exumsta

I understand you need the drivers for the Win8.1.

Make sure you uninstall the old printer software first.

Here is the url to download and install the drivers. Just select your operating system.

The Win8 and Win8.1 is the same Version14.8.0.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4131&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=2512...

If the one for Win8.1 won't open the try the download for Win8.

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
exumsta
Message 3 of 9 (2,002 Views)

that solution did not work.  i tried installing the driver for both windows 8 and 8.1.  Got the same message about not finding the specified file.

should I uninstall windows 8.1 and reinstall windows 8?  The website says my printer is supported for windows 8

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 4 of 9 (1,989 Views)

Hi exumsta

The printer should be able to work with the Win 8.1.

When you downloaded the driver did you saveit and then run the file?

If you are just running it some of the packets might get lost.

Make sure you run all the windows updates.

Here is a video how to run the windows updates.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s2armtEgmc

Try to unregister and reregister windows installer.
Press the windows logo + R,

type msiexex /unregister in run box and press enter ,

press windows logo + R again,

type msiexec /regserver in run box and press enter.

Now try to run the saved download software again.

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
exumsta
Message 5 of 9 (1,980 Views)

[ Edited ]

no luck with that either.  i made sure to delete the previous downloads, saved the new download, checked for updates but none were available, unregistered and reregistered the installer, and the ran the saved download.  I did this for both Windows 8 and 8.1. Still gives me the same message about not finding the specified file. 

There is a part of the installation process where it tells me to keep my firewall active but that if I'm running anti-virus software it may slow down the process or cause a failure.   I notice that my McAfee program runs a security scan after every download.  Do you think the McAfee may be interfering during the actual installation process?

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 6 of 9 (1,973 Views)

Hi exumsta

Yes the anitivirus software could be causing issues.

I would make sure it is turned off during the installation.

Here is a url to temporarily disable all the start up programs to see if one of them is causing any issues.
http://theunlockr.com/2012/04/05/how-to-change-windows-8s-startup-programs/

You will have to follow the same steps to enable all again.

Let me know how that goes.

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
exumsta
Message 7 of 9 (1,957 Views)

Whoop Whoop!!!!  That was the problem!  Once I disabled my anti-virus software the installation process went through.  Thank you so much for your diligence and help!!  What a relief to know I don't have to go buy a new printer!!!

Honor Student
GWC14
Message 8 of 9 (1,435 Views)

I am having the very same problem, but how did you disable your McAfee internet security program??  Thanks.

Student
Sloane369
Message 9 of 9 (534 Views)

I had the same problem and your final suggestion was the solution.  I took my laptop to Staple where I just purchased their S0phos Anti-virus and not being familiar w/ it I didn't want to mess w/ turning it off and on.  Their tech took my printout of the forum discussion and got the program to load.  I just installed it and was able to print a test page from my laptop, thru my LAN and a net gear Nano adapter ethernet connection.  I had been struggling with getting this to work for over a year.  Kudos!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation