Re: LaserJet 4 driver for Windows 7 (16987 Views)
Student
brwoodruff
Message 11 of 64 (19,365 Views)

Re: LaserJet 4 driver for Windows 7

Brilliant screenshot and directions. Exactly what I needed. I just used the windows update and was able to install my Windows 7 driver for my HP LaserJet 4 on my computer. Thanks so much.

Honor Student
dbacks01
Message 12 of 64 (18,882 Views)

I have a problem that just started recently, when I send documents to my LaserJet 4 they make it to the print queue and they error out.  Occasionally they'll print when I shut the PC down (go figure).  I have Windows 7 - 64 bit.  The printer is not directly connected to my PC, it is connected directly to a Linksys wireless router as is my PC.  I have a Standard TCPIP port configured with the printer's IP address (HP Jet Direct Card) and LaserJet 4 driver.  This configuration worked fine for more than a year.

I have tried to delete and re-install several different versions of the LaserJet 4 driver, even tried the Windows Update versions to no avail.

Any ideas?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 13 of 64 (18,873 Views)

dbacks01 wrote:

I have a problem that just started recently, when I send documents to my LaserJet 4 they make it to the print queue and they error out.  Occasionally they'll print when I shut the PC down (go figure).  I have Windows 7 - 64 bit.  The printer is not directly connected to my PC, it is connected directly to a Linksys wireless router as is my PC.  I have a Standard TCPIP port configured with the printer's IP address (HP Jet Direct Card) and LaserJet 4 driver.  This configuration worked fine for more than a year.

I have tried to delete and re-install several different versions of the LaserJet 4 driver, even tried the Windows Update versions to no avail.

Any ideas?

Since the printer sometimes prints when shutting down the computer I would suspect an issue with firewall or antivirus/antispyware programs.   Have you made any recent changes here?

The network diagnostic tool here may help as well:  http://www.hp.com/go/tools.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
dbacks01
Message 14 of 64 (18,866 Views)

You are correct.......  It was a McAfee Firewall issue!  I disabled the firewall and was immediately able to print.  Re-enabled the firewall and unable to print again.  I chose "Restore Defaults" for the firewall and was able to print again.  Guess McAfee sent an update, cause I never mess with the McAfee settings.   Even rebooted the PC and it still works.....  so far.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Student
Jim2012
Message 15 of 64 (18,285 Views)

I am trying to follow the instructions below, but  "HP LaserJet 4" does not appear on my list.  What now:?

Jim Shaffer

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 16 of 64 (18,277 Views)

On Windows 7 go to Start, Devicecs and Printers, Add a Printer, select the appropriate port, then when the list of printers comes up select Update.  It will take a few minutes for the list to update, once it does the list will include under HP (not Hewlett-Packard) the HP Laserjet 4, see this post

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

Honor Student
promoplus
Message 17 of 64 (17,975 Views)

So, why can't I download this driver - error: Printer driver not installed - Access denied

Honor Student
promoplus
Message 18 of 64 (17,970 Views)

I was having problems updating my Windows 7 and my HP Laserjet 4 PS 600 dpi drivers.  I still cannot find the correct driver for my printer. I originally purchased the Laserjet 4 which was 300 dpi, and then added a postscript board which allowed for 600 dpi printing, but can't find that particular driver, only the 300 dpi.

Even for the drivers I can use, I was not able to get past the install driver screen without first disabling temporarily Kasperski... keep that in mind.

Top Student
witchsue
Message 19 of 64 (17,006 Views)

[ Edited ]

To the lady who got her HP LJ4 to work in WIN7 X64.  Please tell me the brand of adapter you found to make the  printer work.  I have the same problem.  A fantastic printer sits unused.  

To print an envelope have you tried setting that in your wordprocessing software as opposed to the printer screen.  I use WordPerfect Office and to print an elvelope is a software paper size/type setting not a printer setting.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 20 of 64 (16,987 Views)

[ Edited ]

witchsue wrote:

To the lady who got her HP LJ4 to work in WIN7 X64.  Please tell me the brand of adapter you found to make the  printer work.  I have the same problem.  A fantastic printer sits unused.  [snip]

The USB-parallel adapters listed in these posts have been reported by users to work in Windows 7 x64.  For the Laserjet 4 you might also consider a network card.  This would allow connecting the printer to your router and then sharing it directly to any of the computers on your network.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation