Question

Top Student
witchsue
Message 21 of 64 (4,703 Views)

Re: LaserJet 4 driver for Windows 7

Thank you so much for the quick response.  I now know what to look for.  Do not have a router so will find a cable and go from there.

Student
pbb2005
Message 22 of 64 (4,601 Views)

My workhorse printer will not work with windows 7.  Is there anything I can do to save what I feel was/is one of the best black printers ever developed?

Jhu Student
Student
Jhu
Message 23 of 64 (4,388 Views)

Re: LaserJet 4 print driver for Windows 7

Laserjet 4 is NOT listed in my Windows Update list in Windows 7

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 24 of 64 (4,382 Views)

[ Edited ]

The Windows Update has been failing lately for lots of folks (including me).  The post here has a workaround to allow the update, after doing the stuff in that post click Start, Devices and Printers, Add a Printer, local printer, pick the proper port, Next, click on Windows Update.  It may take five minutes or more for the update to complete.  If the Laserjet 4 is not available after all that then it can be downloaded from the Windows Update Catalog Site.  The site is not very user friendly....  You will need to use IE to access the catalog site, other browsers are not supported.  Find the appropriate driver and download it to a convenient directory.  Note you will need to manually click on the title to check whether the file is for your architecture.  Generally the 11.4Mb version of the Laserjet 4 drivers are for the x86 (32 bit) systems and the 11.6Mb files are for the AMD64 (x64, 64 bit) systems.  After downloading the drivers you would need to expand the cab files and then use Add a Printer, Have Disk and point at the proper directory where you have expanded the files. 

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Top Student
Kansa
Message 25 of 64 (4,299 Views)

According tothis forum, HP has created a drived for 64-bit Wondows 7 for a Laserjet 4.  I've been trying to obtain this driver through "Windows Update" and keep getting a message that says Windows is "unable to get a list of devices from Wndows Update.  Please try again later."  I've been trying for three hours!

Any suggestions on what is happening? 

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 26 of 64 (4,283 Views)

No consolation, but the issue is not HP's.  It seems that recently there hs been an issue with Windows Update.  The post here describes a workaround that worked for me.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Honor Student
BobP1
Message 27 of 64 (4,223 Views)

Thanks for all the help.  It took several hundred tries, but it finally loaded at midnight EDT.  I have been trying for days to download the Laserjet 4 drivers for Windows 7, 64 bit.

I suspect the server is not capable of handeling all of the requests for the various drivers. 

For those of you still trying it loaded on September 27,  2012.

Top Student
Kansa
Message 28 of 64 (4,182 Views)

Tried your suggestion of using the MS Catalog.  I downloaded EVERY driver for a Laserjet 4 and 4M, expanded the Cab files and then tried to add using the add printer feature.  It is looking for an .inf file and there is none to be found.  Any other suggestions?

Honor Student
BobP1
Message 29 of 64 (4,172 Views)

Ref. responce:  9./22.  When you try to update / load the driver using Windows 7 apparently the servers are often busy so you get a responce that says try again later. 

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 30 of 64 (4,166 Views)

BobP1 wrote:

Ref. responce:  9./22.  When you try to update / load the driver using Windows 7 apparently the servers are often busy so you get a responce that says try again later. 

The post here describes a workaround that worked for me. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation