Question
LaserJet 4 driver for Windows 7
Replies (64)

Top Student
Kansa
Message 31 of 65 (2,783 Views)

Re: LaserJet 4 print driver for Windows 7

Too complicated.  Can't understand why MS never anticipates the problems their software causes.

Honor Student
BobP1
Message 32 of 65 (2,769 Views)

Re: LaserJet 4 driver for Windows 7

re. "Windows Update".  "unable to get a list of devices from Wndows Update. Please try again later."

Thanks for all the help. It took several hundred tries, but it finally loaded at midnight EDT. I have been trying for days to download the Laserjet 4 drivers for Windows 7, 64 bit.

I suspect the server is not capable of handeling all of the requests for the various drivers.

For those of you still trying it loaded on September 27, 2012.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 33 of 65 (2,752 Views)

[ Edited ]

Kansa wrote:

Tried your suggestion of using the MS Catalog.  I downloaded EVERY driver for a Laserjet 4 and 4M, expanded the Cab files and then tried to add using the add printer feature.  It is looking for an .inf file and there is none to be found.  Any other suggestions?

You only need one of the driver files, either the 11.6Mb one if you have 64 bit Windows 7, the 11.4Mb one if you have a 32 bit version.  I just did this and it worked on my Windows 7 x64 system.  You will need to expand the files from  a DOS window as follows:

cd \temp      (or wherever you saved the cab file)

md lj4        (or wherever you want to store the driver)

expand  *.cab  -F:* c:\temp\lj4

Then go to Start, Devices and Printers, Add a Printer, have disk and point it at the c:\temp\lj4 directory (or wherever you expanded the files).  This directory will have three files, one is prnhp001.inf that you will select.  There is also a directory Amd64 which has the actual files pointed to by the .inf file.  This inf file has drivers for hundreds of HP printers, including many variations of the Laserjet 4.

My guess is that you used explorer to expand the cab file.  This will default to putting all the driver files and the inf file in the same directory, that does not work properly.  

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
mbehal
Message 34 of 65 (2,724 Views)

Thanks.... you are a gentleman and a Scholar.  It worked fine

Top Student
Kansa
Message 35 of 65 (2,676 Views)

Bob,

Followed all of your instructions and still couldn't get it to install.  Exasperated, I tried the Windows Update again, and IT FINALLY WORKED after 7 weeks of trying!  My baby LJ4 is now printing away.  Thanks for your help -- you took me to web pages I never could have found on my own.

Honor Student
mbehal
Message 36 of 65 (2,669 Views)

Thanks  The solution for updating via internet worked fine.  Good work keep it up!

Student
Balfour_Kobrin
Message 37 of 65 (2,617 Views)

I need a printer driver for a Lazer Jet 4P for Windows 7

Student
Mamash
Message 38 of 65 (2,454 Views)

Since the driver problem is resolved do you know if there is an adapter for the parallel ports to make the one that goes to the computer smaller?  I have a newer computer I'm trying to hook the laser jet 4 to.

Top Student
Kansa
Message 39 of 65 (2,445 Views)

I ordered a parallel to USB adapter on line (http://www.unitedintegral.com/skque-usb-to-parallel-ieee-1284-printer-adapter-cable-6-feet.html).  It's cheap, but worked just fine. Office Max and Office Depot also carry Belkin adapters, but they cost 2-3 times as much.

Honor Student
pdeppisch
Message 40 of 65 (2,251 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I followed the instructions and it took a few minutes for "Windows Update" to provide a comprhensive list of HP printers including my HP LaserJet 4 Pro.  But after the installation I was asked to print a test page and it printed on my HP OfficeJet 6500A Plus .  The HP OfficeJet 6500A plus is installed as a network printer already.  I guess that makes it cery confusing for the software to establish which one to use. 

A further complication may be that the 6500 is on one of ports of the Bell Modem / Router and the LaserJet 4 Pro is on a switch hung of the Bell Modem /Router.

Both printers networked via my Windows 7 P.C.

Maybe you can't have two networked printer on the same P.C.?  Maybe the 6500 needs to be unplugged so that the LaserJet 4 Pro can be discovered.

I guess I better delete the newly installed laserJet 4 from the printer list.  Furthermore the picture of the LaserJet 4 that is shown is totally wrong. 

Maybe things are more complicated. 

Cheers,

Peter

[Personal Information Removed]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation