Question
LaserJet 4 driver for Windows 7
Replies (63)

Honor Student
pdeppisch
Message 41 of 64 (1,544 Views)

Re: LaserJet 4 driver for Windows 7

[ Edited ]

1st time it did not work as wrong IP Address. Fixed the IP address and all is well except it feeds more than one page at times and toner may be low and the self test print as if no ink but then this printer has sat not used for many years. Still need to learn a lot about the printer.
Cheers,
Peter
[Personal Information Removed]

Top Student
witchsue
Message 42 of 64 (1,535 Views)

The toner cartridge packaging says it is good for 2 years after opening.  I have been lucky and had them last for three years.  If you have not installed a new toner cartridge after the printer sat unused for years that would be the problem with you not getting anything printing.   My LJ4 streaks toner on the page when a new cartridge is needed.

Honor Student
pdeppisch
Message 43 of 64 (1,521 Views)

Thank you for that info. And yes it streaks on a self-test page and very very faint. Otherwise it prints a test page from W7 normally which is the confusing part. Also the self-test page says there is no cartridge. But yet it prints a document. Interesting. I have LaserJet 6P for 5+ years and the cartridge still works. Lucky I guess
Honor Student
Kinetickt
Message 44 of 64 (1,473 Views)

Re: LaserJet 4 print driver for Windows 7

Dear Bob,

You offered the best information yet on installing this great printer to Windows 8. I followed all the steps - and only receive error states.

By background, older laptop used USB cable to HP Laserjet 4000 successfull on Windows Vista.

New laptop using Windows 8. Same printer, same USB - parallel printer. New laptop (Toshiba) has three USB ports - at one point, I saw 'data receiving' on HP Laserjet 4000, so that confirmed which USB port communicated to the printer.

'Successfully' installed Windows Update for printer on USB port 1 - only to display on laptop 'printer in error state'.  Cannot print screen, cannot print from software.

I turned everything off, waited 10 minutes, started everything back up, attaching USB cable to laptop after laptop booted. No difference.

Returned to installation and tried to expand cab using dos - receiving message that command is not a directory.

Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Katie

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 45 of 64 (1,459 Views)

Kinetickt wrote:

[snip] By background, older laptop used USB cable to HP Laserjet 4000 successfull on Windows Vista.

New laptop using Windows 8. Same printer, same USB - parallel printer. New laptop (Toshiba) has 

three USB ports - at one point, I saw 'data receiving' on HP Laserjet 4000, so that confirmed which USB port communicated to the printer. 

'Successfully' installed Windows Update for printer on USB port 1 - only to display on laptop 'printer in error state'.  Cannot print screen, cannot print from software. 

I turned everything off, waited 10 minutes, started everything back up, attaching USB cable to laptop after laptop booted. No difference.

Returned to installation and tried to expand cab using dos - receiving message that command is not a directory.

Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated. 

Katie

My most likely guess would be an issue with the USB-parallel converter - these can be problematic.  A model that works in Vista may or may not work in Windows 8.   For Windows 7 I flagged posts with models of USB-parallel converters that users have reported to work. I have not seeen anyone post successes with Windows 8.  The best bet here may be to pick up a J4135A print server - it will provide USB support.

Running the diagnostics at http://www.hp.com/go/tools may help resolve the issue if the issue is related to the print driver.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
Kinetickt
Message 46 of 64 (1,442 Views)

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your quick response. I will order and install the part and let you know how it works!

Katie

Honor Student
Kinetickt
Message 47 of 64 (1,421 Views)

Dear Bob,

Before we continued to spend money on the HP Laserjet 4000, we attached a Dell Laserjet 1300. It appears to have installed, but nothing prints. It is listed as the default printer. When I try to print, the message is "HP 4000 is in error state". I have deleted all HP printers from the hardware area, but Windows 8 still thinks the default printer is HP.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Katie

Honor Student
alsdock
Message 48 of 64 (1,321 Views)

I'm struggling with deciding to try to get my older components to work with my new desktop CPU (Dell Inspiron 600 -i5 w/ Windows 7, 64 bit OS).  I have a Laserjet 4L and a Scan Jet 5370c.  These items are no longer supported by HP regarding compatability for Windows 7 from what I understand.
This discussion suggests that there's a work-around for the LaserJet 4 to work with Windows 7.  Does this work-around also apply to the LaserJet 4L?  Mine still works (albeit noisy and slow compared to newer printers), but nevertheless produces a fine document.

Any known work-arounds for the scanner?

Student
SBG-16
Message 49 of 64 (1,095 Views)

Where can I get a driver for my HP Laserjet4l 32 bit printer?

Student
ChuckLockwood
Message 50 of 64 (1,053 Views)

I couldn't find the kudo or accept the solution button for Bob_Headrick's Laserjet 4 solution. Would have clicked both if I could have found them.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation