calejolaw
Message 51 of 64 (707 Views)

Re: LaserJet 4 driver for Windows 7

high value

Student
IJM3400
Message 52 of 64 (520 Views)

Thanks for Your info, why can this not posted by driver search on HP support, lazy people or want to sell new (not so well) printers?

Top Student
DanMcGarigle
Message 53 of 64 (389 Views)

[ Edited ]

Here is my configuration

PC 2 - Slave PC Computer TCP/IP Networked through Wired Netgear Router - this PC is Running Windows 7-64bit

ROUTER - Netgear RP614

PC1 - Master PC Computer TCP/IP Networked through Wired Netgear Router - this PC is Running Windows XP-SP3

Printer = HP Laserjet 4 connected via PC Parallel Port Cable directly attached to Parallel Port on PC1

Printer is Shared as HPLaserjet4 on PC1 which has I.P. address = 198.168.1.2 The printer is turned on and Windows XP sees the prrinter attached to the parallel port and prints to it just fine.

I have loaded the HP 64-bit driver into PC 2.

But, PC2 cannot "see" the Laserjet 4 parallel cabled onto PC1.

I have loaded PC2 with the Windows 7 driver for the Laserjet 4 and have run the "HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows" and the "HP Print and Scan Doctor"  on PC2 and it does not "see" the Laserjet 4 on PC1. It gives me the choices of printers connected via USB or Network-Wireless or Metwork-Wired but it does NOT give a chaoice for "Locally attached Printer"

How can I print to the Laserket 4 locally attached to PC1 from PC2 through the Ethernet router connection from PC2 to PC1 ?

Thanks !

Dan [edited personally identifiable information]

Honor Student
mob-11
Message 54 of 64 (329 Views)

Bob Headrick wrote on 12-30-2011 at 11:05 PM

"On Windows 7 go to Start, Devicecs and Printers, Add a Printer, select the appropriate port, then when the list of printers comes up select Update.  It will take a few minutes for the list to update, once it does the list will include under HP (not Hewlett-Packard) the HP Laserjet 4,"

What is "the appropriate port"?

I have struggled with this issue for two years, but always give it up.  I have now followed your directions, been told I successfully installed the HP Laserjet 4+ driver, and a test print page has been sent to my printer.  Nothing prints from my Windows 7 laptop to my XP Pro desktop-connected printer.

At some point I added new printer HP laserjet 4+ (Copy 1).  Although I removed it, that name still appears in the Printer column next to LPT 1 Printer Port in Properties.

HP Laserjet 4+ appears in the Printer column next to 192.1...  Standard TCP/IP Port, and that one is now checked, instead of LPT1, which used to be checked and used to have Universal Print Monitor 5 in the Printer column.

Should there also be a usb to parallel converter cable connected, or is this an either/or solution?

I don't know what it means, but at some point, the accurate HP Laserjet 4+ printer image icon changed to what I'll call a generic model like the other printers/devices.

Honor Student
mob-11
Message 55 of 64 (327 Views)

Details:

PC1 - XP Pro SP 3 desktop - Netgear Wireless router - prints to both Laserjet 4+ and to HP 6700 all-in-one.

PC2 - Windows 7 64-bit laptop - prints to HP 6700 all-in-one,  Does not print to Laserjet 4+.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 56 of 64 (319 Views)

mob-11 wrote:

[snip] What is "the appropriate port"?

I have struggled with this issue for two years, but always give it up.  I have now followed your directions, been told I successfully installed the HP Laserjet 4+ driver, and a test print page has been sent to my printer.  Nothing prints from my Windows 7 laptop to my XP Pro desktop-connected printer. [snip]

OK, if your printer is connected to the XP machine (perhaps through a USB-parallel port?) then you will need to "share" the printer from the XP machine.  On the Win 7 machine you would then go to Devices and Printers, right click on the Laserjet 4+, Printer Properties, Ports, Add Port, Local Port, New Port, \\XP_Name\LJ4  (put in the actual share name for your XP machine and printer), OK, Close, Apply, OK.

If you need to find the proper share names you can open a CMD prompt on your Win 7 machine:  click Start, type cmd.exe in the search box, then click on cmd.exe.  In the command window type:

Net View

This will list the computers found on the network.  Find the XP machine name, then type:

Net View \\XP_Name

Where \\XP_Name is replaced with the actual name you found in the previous Net View command.  This will list the shared devices on the XP machine, find the name for the printer.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Retired
eric-g
Message 57 of 64 (311 Views)

Dan,

Thank you for participating in the HP Support Forum.

To protect HP Support Forum participants, our terms of use policy stipulates that you not publicly share your personal information, including but not limited to full names, email addresses and product serial numbers. Although it is also recommended that you not share this information privately, if you wish to exchange information with a specific community member, you might consider doing so in a Private Message (PM). Please refer to "How to Check Your Private Messages" for information on how to use this function.

Respectfully,

eric-g

I no longer work for HP.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 58 of 64 (310 Views)

DanMcGarigle wrote:

Here is my configuration

PC 2 - Slave PC Computer TCP/IP Networked through Wired Netgear Router - this PC is Running Windows 7-64bit

ROUTER - Netgear RP614

PC1 - Master PC Computer TCP/IP Networked through Wired Netgear Router - this PC is Running Windows XP-SP3

Printer = HP Laserjet 4 connected via PC Parallel Port Cable directly attached to Parallel Port on PC1

Printer is Shared as HPLaserjet4 on PC1 which has I.P. address = 198.168.1.2 The printer is turned on and Windows XP sees the prrinter attached to the parallel port and prints to it just fine.

I have loaded the HP 64-bit driver into PC 2.

But, PC2 cannot "see" the Laserjet 4 parallel cabled onto PC1.

I have loaded PC2 with the Windows 7 driver for the Laserjet 4 and have run the "HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows" and the "HP Print and Scan Doctor"  on PC2 and it does not "see" the Laserjet 4 on PC1. It gives me the choices of printers connected via USB or Network-Wireless or Metwork-Wired but it does NOT give a chaoice for "Locally attached Printer"

How can I print to the Laserket 4 locally attached to PC1 from PC2 through the Ethernet router connection from PC2 to PC1 ? [snip]

On the Win 7 machine you would then go to Devices and Printers, Add a Printer, Add a local printer, Create a new port, Local Port, Next,  \\PC1\HPLaserjet4, OK, Next, select HP as the manufacturer, select HP Laserjet 4, Next,  Next, Next, Print a test page, Finish.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
mob-11
Message 59 of 64 (293 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the detailed instructions.

When I tried to find out if my Laserjet 4+ printer was connected by a parallel port, I discovered in Device Manager that there is no listing for Ports.

My first thought was that in renewing my effort to connect the printer today, I did something to make that happen.  A Search tells me it can also happen after a recent download (like a printer driver?).  I have no way of knowing how long the Ports haven't been listed. 

I just glanced back at the instructions and see I didn't follow the first part -- I'll try tomorrow.

Top Student
DanMcGarigle
Message 60 of 64 (252 Views)

You are absolutely right. I applied the HP Laser Jet 4 Driver to my installation of Windows 7. And the Laser Jet 4 was not even attached to the machine on which I instlalled Windows 7. Actually the Laser Jet 4 was physically attached to the parallel port on a machine running Windows XP that was connected to te Windows 7 machine through an Ethernet Router.

But, the Wordpad program on the Windows 7 machine had no trouble printing a page to the Laser Jet 4 on the Network to the Laserjet 4 on the Windows XP machine. The Wordpad program used the Lasejet 4 driver on the Windows 7 machine to print its output to the Laserjet 4 on the XP machine by addressing it as the Laserjet 4 on the network to the Wimdows 7 machine.   

THANK YOU FOR YOUR POSTING THIS INFO as without it I never would have thought to even try to address the Laserjet 4 on the XP machine since the XP machine did not have the Windows 7 driver for the LaserJet 4.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation