Question

Intern
DocumentRunr
Message 1 of 6 (710 Views)

LaserJet software/driver issues. Print and Scan Doctor doesn't work on scanning function of MFP.

Upon using the diagnostic utility HPPSdr. exe, only the select an action "Fix Printing" shows up and not the "Fix Scanning" option. Our printer is the LaserJet 3050 connected via usb running under Windows Vista32 on a HP dv8408us laptop. The scanning driver is HP imaging 4.0.4.0. There have been numerous problems with this scanning software/driver package which have been well illustrated on the HP forums. An update is sorely needed. All that HP customers really expect when we buy a product is that we get the functionality that we paid for and that we get support for the software and hardware for a reasonable length of time, I think that 5-7 years after the final production date of the product, at least, is reasonable. In the case of the 3050, the scanning has never worked right since day 1 because the scans are too light with signatures and time stamps showing up poorly. With the pnp driver installed it it almost impossible to scan in receipts, etc. The communication software Toolbox FX is needed to use the scan button on the machine, and since there are so many problems with this package with respect to system resource usage and connectivity, we can't use it and we don't get the walk up use of the scan button that we paid for originally. As Microsoft has updated the Windows OS, HP has failed to keep pace and we lose functionality of our equipment over time.  The diagnostic utilities have supposedly been updated several times and the scanning portion of the MFP still doesn't show. Surely the wide base of installation of this product could justify the expense of some engineering time for an update to the software and drivers. If HP hopes to turn itself around, a commitment needs to be made towards engineering products that really work in the environments that its customers use them, or else HP will merely be regarded as marketing company that is only concerned with selling the next thing without respect to customer retention.

Intern
DocumentRunr
Message 2 of 6 (662 Views)

Re: LaserJet software/driver issues. Print and Scan Doctor doesn't work on scanning function of MFP.

I started this thread 2 months ago in order to further document the poor support with respect to software and drivers that HP is providing for it's equipment. I just ran the version 3.0 HPPSdr.exe dated 11-05-2012 (a later date now with the same version # ??) and it again still fails to indicate the scanning portion of the LaserJet 3050 MFP. Only the PCL6 UPD print driver shows up after running the scan. The PCL5 UPD is shown as installed, but won't show as connected, even though I can print from it. No scanning function is ever indicated. This is just one illustration, there have been other problems that many users have had with the package for this machine since it was introduced. Issues re: the ToolboxFX, scan quality, and USB connectivity have not been addressed. It should be a simple matter for HP to post some software and drivers that are tested and actually work in the environments that we use them. Does HP engineering staff monitor these forums?  Why is it that feedback is provided by users of these forums and it is hit or miss whether these functional problems get solved?

The equipment set up is as follows:

HP dv8408us laptop

Windows Vista32 Home Premium

HP LaserJet 3050 MFP

Connection is via USB

Intern
DocumentRunr
Message 3 of 6 (536 Views)

Re: LaserJet software/driver issues. Print and Scan Doctor doesn't work on scanning function of MFP.

Hi Everyone,

I just ran this utility again, in it's latest version - the HPPSdr.exe version 3.1 . What it says is "The following products are visible from your computer." "Click the one you want to work with, then click 'Next'"

Our machine is the LaserJet 3050 running under Windows Vista32 on a HP Pavilion dv8408us laptop.

I am running the HP PCL 5 UPD driver and the HP PCL 6 UPD driver concurrently as well as the HP Scanning driver 4.0.4.0  The majority of the time, I use the PCL 5 driver, as the PCL 6 one causes the printer to pause between each page, or at best every 3rd page. I only use the PCL 6 when I want to print pictures or details. The best example is in Google maps. Printing is better and more detailed with the PCL 6 driver.

The only products indicated on the dialog box for the utilty are:

WebEx Document Loader, and

HP Universal Printing PCL 5

The PCL 6  UPD driver and the Scanning driver are not shown .

I'd like to recover the use of the scan button on the machine so I can walk up and scan documents to pdf on the desktop or to email without using the ToolBoxFX package, which has never worked.

How can we get the use of our scan button back?

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 4 of 6 (481 Views)

Sorry for the lack of response regarding your scan issues but this is a Commercial LaserJet so hopefully you have posted your question on the HP Enterprise Business Support Forums.  Other owners of this Laserjet as well HP Experts with more experience with this printer will hopefully resply to help you with that.

I will do my best to assist you with getting the printer to scan, but you have indicated you have some other problems as well.     1. Is there anything else specific you want to address as well?

I assume you have done the uninstall/re-install of the printer software which didn't fix your problem.  The full solution software is still on the website (link to US version).    2. What are some other troubleshooting steps you have taken?  

3. Are you getting any specific error messages such as "Imaging Device could not be initialized," "An error occurred," or is it that the software just would not install?

I usually handle different types of printers but I will do my best to help you.  Just answer those questions for me please so I know what you have done so far and what you are experiencing now.  

And if you have yet to post on the Enterprise forums, I strongly recommend doing that to increase your exposure to the Enterprise Experts.

--HP LaserJet Error Messages When Trying to Scan--

I hope I can help!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Intern
DocumentRunr
Message 5 of 6 (428 Views)

[ Edited ]

VisionAiry,

Thank you for your response,

There have been problems with the software and drivers for the LaserJet MFP/AIO machines which have been well illustrated by many users on here for several years. What is shocking is the unwillingness of HP to address these issues at an engineering and design level. This is the level in your organization that these problems need to be addressed at, not at the marketing and customer service level. The software/driver package has never really worked right ever since the 3050 - 3392 series was introduced back in 2006. The scanning drivers in the pnp drivers don't work, and never have, because of frequent communication problems. Someone never bothered to check if a blue ink signature would scan. I and several others have reported on these issues. What I have discoverd, through much trial and error, is that the full software package upon installation with only basic drivers installed using the check boxes in the menu, actually installs differently than the pnp driver. Who would have thought this? So now the machine scans OK. 

My PC really appreciates not having the ToolboxFX installed. ToolBoxFX Error messages and crashes have been well documented on here. This is an application that puts an unnecessary drain on system resources. The only problem is that now the use of the Scan button on the machine is taken away so I don't get the walk up use of the scan button that we paid for in the original design. Why is the scan button function tied to the defective ToolboxFX software? 

As far as printing goes, after carefully deleting the original print drivers, I use the PCL 5 and PCL6 UPD drivers. They work a lot better than the original print drivers ever did. But what about scanning? The scan driver on the 3050 dates all the way back to 7 2007. Scanning is an integral part of the functioning of most offices nowadays, but it is an afterthought at HP.  Why would a driver, software or diagnostic package only address half of the capabilities of a machine?

When I went on the vacation recently, I tried to use my PCL 5 and PCL 6 drivers on my relatives 2009 OfficeJet 7310 and it wouldn't work at all. I had to spend 2 hours with multiple failed attempts to install the full 7310 package on my PC. Installation problems and repeated attempts are a constant theme with HP software. The very term Universal Print Driver is misleading because it won't work on many of the HP products out there. The product listing for the UPD, I only recently discovered on here, with help, because it was so buried on the UPD information page. 

The LaserJet 3050 at $300 from Staples wasn't the most expensive printer out there, but it wasn't the least either. It is actually a pretty nice piece of hardware. I have invested over $1,500 in marked up toner since I've had this machine. HP needs to do better for us. 

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 6 of 6 (403 Views)

Yes, Universal Print Drivers are certainly limited to specific languages and the process of learning which is which could be more streamlined, I agree.  I want to provide you two different links.  It is up to you if you wish to respond but I think you deserve to have this information as it sounds like you have been a good customer for a rather long time.

Connect with the HP Executive Team - Click this link if you have any suggestions, solutions, ideas, and observations to help HP better serve you.

Contact HP - If you have any other questions or form of feedback, here is the basic site.  You can navigate through here if you so choose to find a way to ensure you have reached out to a department higher than myself with your feelings you have expressed above.

Lastly, let me know if I can be of any more assistance.  It appears you have resolved your scanning problem but if I read that wrong just indicate here where I can help you and if I can't, once again, I will point you in the right direction.

I only speak on behalf of myself on the forums but thank you for sticking it through and remaining an HP customer.  I hope you are not having any more problems but I am happy to help you if so.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation