Question

Honor Student
tpearson
Message 1 of 13 (26,054 Views)

Laserjet 4200 drivers for Windows 7 64bit

ok...ive upgraded to Windows 7 64bit to test on our network and come to find HP is lacking on the drivers for my laserjet!!!

I need a solution for this.

thank you

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 13 (26,050 Views)

Re: Laserjet 4200 drivers for Windows 7 64bit

The Laserjet 4200 drivers are available through Windows Update.

420i55B53FAE830555D3

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
Paladin62
Message 3 of 13 (25,809 Views)

When I run printer setup it doesn't look like the screen you showed. That is XP screen.

I run it and it says "Windows can't find a driver for HP LaserJet 4200 PCL 5e on the network. To locate one manually click OK. Otherwise click cancel and consult your network administrator or the printer manufacturers website."

I clicked OK and can't find one manually. I went to HP and nothing. I tried to install the universal printer drive and nothing.

What do I do now?

I am running Windows 7 64 bit 

Student
jslinnha
Message 4 of 13 (25,776 Views)

Hi

Did you manage to get the drivers installed, and printing ?  I'm having the same issues

Thanks

Student
mattmonsour
Message 5 of 13 (25,739 Views)

same problem here.  anyone have any suggestions?

Honor Student
Jack18
Message 6 of 13 (25,655 Views)

You cannot set up a shared printer from Windows 7 x64 bit printing directly to a shared printer on a WinXP computer.  The workaround:  define a "local printer port" on the Windows 7 machine, with the name:

\\yourWinXPPrintServer\printersharename.

See: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/31983356-acaf-40f7-adef-4e3e3c4a8...

Student
mcbrown72
Message 7 of 13 (16,399 Views)

[ Edited ]

I know this is an old thread, but I was still having this issue and used this process to fix the problem. Don't know why Windows 7 isn't smart enough to do this itself, but cie la vie...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?&objectID=c02536257

Honor Student
sonny630
Message 8 of 13 (9,979 Views)

Well guess what I am in the same boat as you. Have a very good HP Laser 4200DTN with the envelope feeder also. The printer driver software that HP has is just a stipped down driver it just supports duplex in tray 2, no support for the envelope feeder.  You can duplex from tray 2. Tray 1 to print envelopes that is a manual chore now. Ok to look at the Properties page on printer setup, you will see the Envelope feeder option is gone.  I just tested the duplex in tray 3 it will do it but boy it is slow. This printer used to print really fast but, guess what folks the driver for Windows 7 Prof 64 bit has put the whoa to that. It is as slow as pond water!!!

In closing just want to thank HP for NOT making their equipment downward compliant!!!! Just makes you want to own more of their equipment does it not.

Try calling them on the phone boy is that a trip, 2 plus hours on the phone and got transfered right back to where I started from.  Talked to South America, India, Far East Plipines I think, Idaho, California and finally back to an American don't know where he was but was told they do not have the CD with printer drivers to support this HP Laser4200DTN. I just he told me the truth because I can't find any drivers that will support all the fubctions this printer has.

Honor Student
sonny630
Message 9 of 13 (9,978 Views)

The stripped down driver is with Windows 7 Prof 64 bit. Select add a printer if it is networked put in the IP address, select the printer from the list in windows. Now I am assuming you want a network printer. If not you might be in deep **** because these HP 4200DTN use a parallel port or Ethernet RJ45. Don't know if you can trick it to use USB but I doubt it since I tried doing this with an HP 4000 once and did not get that to work.

Back to the HP 4200DTN the driver that was preloaded on this machine Windows 7 Prof 64 bit has more features than what HP has.

JUST MAKES YOU WANT TO RUN RIGHT OUT AND BUY SOME NEW HP EQUIPMENT SO YOU CAN GET CAUGHT WITH YOUR PANTS DOWN AGAIN!!!!

Honor Student
sonny630
Message 10 of 13 (9,900 Views)

In Windows 7 Prof 64 bit I got my HP 4200DTN to work kind of. In Windows install a network printer, have it look for the driver in Windows 7 prof 64 bit. Now with that said it will make it print, duplex  BUT if you have an envelope feeder like I do you are SOL, THANKS TO HP. Their solutions is to buy one of their cheap Chinese printers. I will not do that because the HP 4200DTN will print and does a good job in my network. Before I buy one of their cheap Chinese piece of crap I will get rid of Windows. Still trying to find a work around. The HP printer driver web page has a Universal Printer Driver for the HP 4200 but a lot of features are not supported. Tray 1 envelope feeder ( no support ) you can take the feeder off and feed tray 1 by hand to print envelopes HANDY!!! Just like starting your car with a crank!!! Would not hurt HP to provide drivers for the HP4200DTN, with the envelope feeder. They are so busy trying to SELL, SELL, SELL the new Chinese cheap crap. HP had a problem with their DeskJets in the 90's, paper feed rollers and gears broke. They talked me into a HP 8600Pro Premium, going to send it back. I am going to try my hand at fixing my HP OfficeJet 7310 All-In-One that quit working. It has been a good printer since purchase 6 years ago.  I puchased a parts machine today. With any kind of luck I will have the needed parts to make my HP 7310 live. Don't need their cheap Chinese Junk. They don't want to have the service they used to provide. Spend all day on the phone and get transfered all over the world and back again, no help. Sick of it!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation