Question

Honor Student
cbinmesa
Message 1 of 23 (7,177 Views)

Laserrjet 2840 and Vista 64-bit

Help!  I just bought a new computer with 64 bit Vista and I own a laserjet 2840.  There are only generic drivers on the website and I have not been successful with them.  Does anyone have any ideas at all?
Top Student
tomatei
Message 2 of 23 (7,139 Views)

Re: Laserrjet 2840 and Vista 64-bit

I am having the same problem and tech support has been less than helpful. i hope someone out there can help. I will follow this thread.
Honor Student
cbinmesa
Message 3 of 23 (7,138 Views)

I gave up and returned the new 64-bit computer.  It is ridiculous.  I also had problems with syncing the cell and some timer software that runs the lights in my home.  Until there are more pieces of hardware that support that OS, I guess I have to stick to the 32 for now.
Student
brocky
Message 4 of 23 (7,125 Views)

Hi,

i agree there has to be some way this printer works on vista , i have download everything HP web site tells me to do but still does not work,

It look like i have to go buy a new printer now , just dumb.

lucky i have a computer using xp so i can actually print stuff for work.

there has to be a soloution-

Top Student
tomatei
Message 5 of 23 (6,898 Views)

Re: Laserjet 2840, Vista 64-bit

I was having the same problem, and hp support was of no help. It was very frustrating since we had just upgraded to two new 64 bit machines. I eventually found a workaround.

Without the printer connected, go to add printer. Choose hp as the printer type and look down the dirver list for the generic 2800 series driver and install. then connecter printer and it will print fine. 

Now you will be able to print, but most of the all in one features you will no longer be able to access from the computers. The software that comes with the printer will not install on vista or windows 7 because it check the operating system and only seems to work with xp. If you find a workaround for this i would appreciate it. I miss being able to scan to pdf.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 6 of 23 (6,894 Views)

So NONE of the Universal Print Drivers in THIS page worked?
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
tomatei
Message 7 of 23 (6,890 Views)

No. I tried them on two different vista 64 bit pcs. I think in you notice that is the consistant experience of most of the posts in these forums.

Also the hp software that comes with the printer will not install on vista or higher because the opperating system is not recognized. I have not found any software upgrades on the hp site, and the software does a search and says it is up to date, just before it says that it can't install because it does not recognize the operating system.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 8 of 23 (6,870 Views)

What happens when you try to install the drivers from the link i posted above? do you get any messages about why it can't install?
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Top Student
tomatei
Message 9 of 23 (6,854 Views)

installs, just wont print test page. also every time i rebooted, it wanted to install a driver.it was a circular loop that never worked on either pc. The only one that works is the one i refer to abover.
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 10 of 23 (6,846 Views)

For the installation reoccuring after reboot, try this:

1. Click on the start menu and click on 'Run', and then type 'services.msc' and press the Enter button.
2. In the Services window, look for HP CUE Device Discovery Service, and double click on it.
3. You should see a button labelled 'STOP'. click on that button.
4. Above this, you should find something which says 'Startup Type'. Change that to 'Disabled'
5. Click on the 'Apply' button and close all windows.

and for the printing issue, try to run the Print Diagnostic Utility from the link below.

Click Here 

I am an ex-HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation