Question
Laserrjet 2840 and Vista 64-bit
Replies (22)

Student
Robert_Humes
Message 11 of 23 (12,230 Views)

Laserjet 2840, Vista 64-bit

Hello!  I have just purchased an HP TouchSmart PC, which comes pre-installed with Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.  I own an HP2840 Color LaserJet and have been unable to get the Print/Scan/Fax software to install.  The installation begins as normal, then simply exits without error or status message.  I am assuming that the installation will not proceed in the 64-bit OS from the threads that I have read here.

Is HP planning on releasing a version of the "full" printer installation package for Vista 64-bit?  I find it disheartening that I have spent a considerable amount of money and time on a PC that I have just purchased, trying to get hardware from the same manufacturer to work.  I have installed the "Universal Print Driver" on the new PC and the HP2840 prints admirably, however, it does me no good if the scan and facsimile functions do not work on the device.

Thank You in advance for any information concerning this opportunity.

-Robert Humes

Robert@RHumesConsulting.com

Honor Student
JacksonLau
Message 12 of 23 (12,123 Views)

Re: Laserjet 2840, Vista 64-bit

Wow. I am not sure if I should be happy or disappointed. Robert, we seem to be facing the exact same situation.

I just got my Touchsmart PC and also own HP CLJ 2840, and having the exact same problem; installation begins for about 1 to 2 seconds, and then just "disappears". I need the scanning function to work; otherwise the 2840 would be nothing more than an oversized printer.

Any help from anyone would be much appreciated.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 13 of 23 (12,122 Views)

Maybe the Business Support Forums will be a better place to look for Laserjet support.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
JacksonLau
Message 14 of 23 (12,049 Views)

Just got off Live Chat support. Disappointing.

[Wednesday, March 18, 2009 3:11 AM] -- Richard S says:

Jackson, for your information, we do not have full printer software which supports 64bit Vista operating system

No scan or fax support, only print through universal print driver for Vista-64. However I still have not been able to get the printing to work either.

Recommended that I 'downgrade' to XP or Vista-32 (by purchasing the software at extra cost).

I have been fond of HP products until now, this prompts me to seriously re-consider.

Honor Student
MattPterp
Message 15 of 23 (11,841 Views)

What a bunch of nonsense.  HP obviously wants us to purchase the newer model of their laserjet, which I did.  I was completely unsatisfied with it, so went back to the task of compatibility between my Windows Vista 64-bit system and my tried and true 2840.

Windows has a "Virtual PC" that you can download free.  It requires Windows Vista Ultimate, so upgrading was step 1.

Step 2:  Download the free Virtual PC 2007 and install it on your 64-bit system:   http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

Now that you have your virtual PC (like a mini 32-bit computer inside your 64-bit computer) you need to install an operating system.  I bought Windows Vista Business version (32 bit) because I found it inexpensively, but you can install whatever 32-bit system that is compatible with the 2840 software.  So now you've created a 32-bit virtual system within your 64-bit system. 

Now just install the 2840 software into the 32-bit virtual system and you're good to go.  All this cost under $300.

Honor Student
MattPterp
Message 16 of 23 (11,825 Views)

What a bunch of nonsense.  HP obviously wants us to purchase the newer model of their laserjet, which I did.  I was completely unsatisfied with it, so went back to the task of compatibility between my Windows Vista 64-bit system and my tried and true 2840.

Windows has a "Virtual PC" that you can download free.  It requires Windows Vista Ultimate, so upgrading was step 1.

Step 2:  Download the free Virtual PC 2007 and install it on your 64-bit system:   http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

Now that you have your virtual PC (like a mini computer inside your computer) you need to install an operating system.  I bought Windows Vista Business version (32 bit) because I found it inexpensively, but you can install whatever 32-bit system that is compatible with the 2840 software.  So now you've created a 32-bit virtual system within your 64-bit system. 

Now just install the 2840 software into the 32-bit virtual system and you're good to go.  All this cost under $300.

Now that you have your virtual PC (like a mini computer inside your computer) you need to install an operating system.  I bought Windows Vista Business version (32 bit) because I found it inexpensively, but you can install whatever 32-bit system that is compatible with the 2840 software.  So now you've created a 32-bit virtual system within your 64-bit system. 

Honor Student
Sputnik
Message 17 of 23 (10,451 Views)

Hi Matt,

That's not a solution that's a total pain in the @$$. HP should get to work and provide 64 bit software for the 2840 by now. Mine went from being a great all in one device to a useless piece of junk overnight. If HP can't gt on top of support for it's hardware, then this is the last HP product I'll ever by. This lack of support is unacceptable.

Honor Student
Sputnik
Message 18 of 23 (10,466 Views)

Does HP plan to suport the scanning and Fax features of the 2840 in the 64 bit version of Windows 7?  I can't tell you how much it irks me that they won't support 64 bit NT or Vista. My 2840 went from a great all in one unit to a piece of crap overnight when I upgraded by system.
Student
JFBailey
Message 19 of 23 (10,255 Views)

Sorry, This Microsoft Windows Virtual System does NOT support USB ports...therefore, after installing the Windows XP software, and downloading the XP Driver for the 2840 AllInOne, you cannot complete the installation because it requires a USB connection directly to the 2640 AllInOne printer.

However! The Sun Virtual Box does support USB, and has even better features!

http://www.virtualbox.org/

The strange outcome is that when you now install the XP Driver for the 2840 AllINOne, it now longer insists that you connect the USB cable, and allows you to complete the installation with an ethernet conection. Voila! And now you may create a Shared Folder with the VIsta 64 system!

For the next step, I am going to see if I am allowed to Share this Virtual XP 2849 AllInOne printer service over the virtual network. 

-- more later

-- Joseph 

Honor Student
AlanDavidson
Message 20 of 23 (8,401 Views)

Since the HP CLJ 2840 has TWAIN capabilities, I figured any TWAIN software should be able to get at it and I was right! I recently set up a user who is scanning using GIMP. Unfortunately, this set up only works from the PC if the 2840 is attached to a PC on USB. I don't think GIMP can get at the device from an ethernet connection or as a shared device and the device's panel button feature access won't work correctly.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation