My HP Deskjet 5440 printer won't print anything, not even a test page. Did all diagnostic tests. (12445 Views)
Top Student
kmt52
Message 1 of 5 (12,445 Views)
Accepted Solution

My HP Deskjet 5440 printer won't print anything, not even a test page. Did all diagnostic tests.

Even did the uninstall and reinstall using the disc that came with the PC. The last clue I found was in the HP diagnostic utility that said there was a "pen failure" correction that needed to be fixed before printing could continue. But there was no info on how to address this. The "Device Status" box was red checked. When I try to print anything, it looks like the message is getting from the computer to the printer, but then nothing happens and I get an error message and the printer goes offline by itself. What should I try?

Professor
Picardje
Message 2 of 5 (12,396 Views)

Re: My HP Deskjet 5440 printer won't print anything, not even a test page. Did all diagnostic tests.

HI,

What you can check is pulling out the cartridges, cleaning the contacts on the cartridges and in the unit (without power off course) and check the dates on the cartridges if there not expired. Also try printing a testpage like this: Press and hold the Power button, press the resume button once and let go off both buttons.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Top Student
kmt52
Message 3 of 5 (12,387 Views)

Re: My HP Deskjet 5440 printer won't print anything, not even a test page. Did all diagnostic tests.

Thanks so much! This worked, although I was not sure how to clean the contacts. I used a Q-tip wet with eyeglass cleaner. Would like to know if this was good, or if it happens again, what should I use?

Professor
Picardje
Message 4 of 5 (12,352 Views)

Hi, eyeglass cleaner is perfect.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Top Student
ISCAGIRL
Message 5 of 5 (10,248 Views)

I had this same problem, no printing either from pc or test page from printer. Tried test page as you suggest and got only first page of two. It showed one low cartridge (magenta 9 percent).
Tried print from computer - no joy till I pressed resume and could not repeat the print.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation