Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 7660
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After reading the HP Printers - Windows 10 Compatible Printers list @ http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04658195 it states that my HP Photosmart 7660 is not supported for Windows 10 and there are no additional options.

Does anyone know of a generic or other HP certified printer driver that will work for the HP Photosmart 7660 printer with Windows 10?  I have had my HP Photosmart 7660 printer since 2004 and it is the best printer I have ever owned and I hate the thought of not being able to use this printer if I upgrade my computer to Windows 10.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ghudson wrote:

@after reading the HP Printers - Windows 10 Compatible Printers list @ http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04658195 it states that my HP Photosmart 7660 is not supported for Windows 10 and there are no additional options.

Does anyone know of a generic or other HP certified printer driver that will work for the HP Photosmart 7660 printer with Windows 10?  I have had my HP Photosmart 7660 printer since 2004 and it is the best printer I have ever owned and I hate the thought of not being able to use this printer if I upgrade my computer to Windows 10.

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my Windows 7 HP computer to Windows 10. None of the suggestions listed in the HP forums for using another driver with Windows 10 worked for me. Some did get the printer to print but all of the suggestions that would get the printer to print made the printer print extra pages and kept acting like a print job was sent to the printer. I then tried something different and it worked!

Below are the steps I followed to get my old yet faithful HP Photosmart 7660 printer to work as expected with Windows 10.

From the Devices and Printers page in the Control Panel…

1) Click Add a printer

2) Click The printer that I want is not listed

3) Select Add a local printer with manual settings

4) Select use an existing port and change the option to USB001

5) Click the Windows Update button to update the available printer and drivers list

6) Select Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

7) Select Printers: HP Photosmart 7760 series

😎 Enter printer name: HP Photosmart 7660

It is working for me with Windows 10 and the bonus is the advanced options are more than you will want or need. No thanks to HP for not offering a valid suggestion that works to their customers needing a Windows 10 print driver  to use with their old HP Photosmart 7660 printer.

To those of you who found this post and if my suggestion also works for you… Enjoy!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Hi ghudson,

Welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you are in need of a driver for your printer.

You are correct when you say that one does not exist on the HP Support web page.

I would suggest trying the Deskjet 990c driver with in WIndows.

This usually works for most older HP printers on other operating systems.

Let me know how you make out.

Cheers,  :OpenSmile:

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for replying Waterboy71. I have not upgraded my computer to Windows 10 yet because I do not know if I will still be able to use my HP Photosmart 7660 printer with Windows 10. I am hoping that another forum user has already found a working Windows 10 print driver that works with the HP Photosmart 7660 printer.

Does anyone know which HP certified print driver will work in Windows 10 for the HP Photosmart 7660 printer?

HP Recommended

I had the same problem.  I just upgraded.  I did some searching and came across this page for Vista.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00808478

Step 1:

It says to use Deskjet 5600

Step 2:

Search Cortana for "devices" to bring up Devices and Printers panel.

on step 2.7, I selected the Deskjet 5600 (Microsoft).  I thought maybe that would work, but that alone didn't so I kept going on to Step 3.

Step 3:

Change the port from LPT1 to USB001 and test (simple test from MS Word).

Page printed just fine!

HP Recommended

After some trial and error I finally got my Photosmart 7660 to work by:

First I deleted all the installed printers from the Devices and Printers console. Then I disconnected my printer from the USB port and renconnected it. The plug-n-play ran and added my printer to the Devices section. It even printed test pages but I still could not print documents. I selected Add a Printer and then clicked on the link that says something like "I don't see my printer in this list." In the next window I selected the option to manually add a printer. Change the port from LPT 1 to USB and select the HP Photosmart PCL3 Class Driver. My printer works now. Hope this helps you.

HP Recommended

Well played!!

Thank you for this. I get some cockamaime lead off page, but otherwise the solution works. Thank you so much

HP Recommended

Something I've noticed - even when my printer is powered off it will randomly turn itself on and print a page with a few lines of text that look like a drive location of a file or something along those lines. I've had to start removing all the paper from my printer when not in use and disconnecting it. When I have time I'll try to find a solution unless someone already knows one.

HP Recommended

in you need use photosmart 7660 in windows 10, install driver for HP Deskjet 5520 and chage LPT1 port to USB virtual port.Done . Standard running, no problem!!!!

HP Recommended

@michalon33 wrote:

in you need use photosmart 7660 in windows 10, install driver for HP Deskjet 5520 and chage LPT1 port to USB virtual port.Done . Standard running, no problem!!!!

michalon33,

Have you successfuly done this on your computer to get the HP Photosmart 7660 printer to work on a Windows 10 computer?

HP Recommended

normal running and print all pictures from my pc (windows 10).

1.step plug usb cable to my PC

2.Switch ON my printer

3.Add printer automaticaly.....nothigh action

3.manually select printer in PC

No install driver from HP web store, only from selection in my PC

hp printer.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.