Question

Student
Planner
Message 1 of 13 (42,505 Views)

Need Windows 7 64-bit Driver for Deskjet 9800

I cannot find a Windows 7 64-bit driver for my Deskjet 9800 printer.  It is listed in the HP website, but when I run through the download I end up getting a message that there is no driver available for the Deskjet 9800.  HP offers a workaround solution, but it does not work.   Microsoft offers a universal driver, but that also does not work. 

Any suggestions?   Is HP going to provide a Windows 7 driver for the Deskjet 9800 printer anytime soon?  

This is the second time I had to purchase a new HP printer for a new operating system. If it comes down to buying a new printer this time around I will be looking at other manufacturers.  Several associates have asked me about Windows 7 and I mentioned it is a very nice OS but does not come with an e-mail program or HP printer driver for my three year old printer. Every one of them has said they are going to hold off upgrading to Windows 7.   Microsoft is doing fine providing Windows 7 drivers for my older monitor, speakers, etc.  So, to me the problem is with HP.    

Honor Student
TexMW
Message 2 of 13 (42,383 Views)

Re: Need Windows 7 64-bit Driver for Deskjet 9800

I have new HP TouchSmart notebook and have Deskjet 9800 connected to it. I don't even recall going for driver the first time a couple of weeks ago when I first used it. The Windows 7 64 bit worked just fine. Maybe I clicked on help, but never did I have a problem. I did have a problem getting my automatic two-sided printing accessory to work. It wanted to work only manually until I right clicked on Printer Properties, then Device Setting, Installable Options. and then checked Duplex as Installed. Auto is off and manual is disabled. HP staff was noit particularly helpful, but chat forum pointed me in right direction.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 13 (42,373 Views)

Planner wrote:

I cannot find a Windows 7 64-bit driver for my Deskjet 9800 printer.  It is listed in the HP website, but when I run through the download I end up getting a message that there is no driver available for the Deskjet 9800.  HP offers a workaround solution, but it does not work.   Microsoft offers a universal driver, but that also does not work. 

Any suggestions?   Is HP going to provide a Windows 7 driver for the Deskjet 9800 printer anytime soon? 

HP did provide a driver, it is available in Windows 7 as described here.  What is the problem you are having installing this driver?

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
galindenba
Message 4 of 13 (42,155 Views)

The 9800 driver provided is not a full featured driver and will not work unless the printer is directly connected to the computer. This arrangement is useless for me. I think many people including myself need a driver that will support a printer that is shared on a network. I have a Deskjet 9800 and a Laserjet 1012 shared among 5 workstations running XP or VIsta. I just added a Windows 7 machine to the network, but I can't print with it.

The most inportant question is whether HP going to come out with full featured, network/sharing compatable software for the Deskjet 9800, the LaserJet 1012, and others ?

Like a I said I have 6 computers sharing these 2 printers on the network only one of which is Windows 7. If I have to buy 2 entirely new printers, then I also have to install new drivers for these machines in all the non-Windows 7 workstations on the network. I can trade in my 1012 and 9800 for like 20 bucks each.......not worth it!!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 13 (42,131 Views)

[ Edited ]

HP's plans for Windows 7 driver support for printers and scanners are summarized here*.

Besides the network support what features do you believe are missing from the Deskjet 9800 driver?  For network sharing do the following:  On the Windows 7 machine go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a printer, Local printer, Create a port, Local port, \\computer\dj9800 (put in the proper share names for the computer and Deskjet 9800), Next, select the Deskjet 9800 driver and go from there.

* I do not work for HP and do not speak for them.  I do not have any inside information on their plans for the Deskjet 9800 other than what is clearly documented on the HP website.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
galindenba
Message 6 of 13 (42,092 Views)

I followed your instructions and it worked

:smileyhappy:

Thx

GAL

Honor Student
galindenba
Message 7 of 13 (41,849 Views)

The fix you suggested to get my laptop with windows 7 seven to print to my 9800 wirelessly over a network to a shared printer worked......once.

Every subsequent time I have tried to print from this windows 7 laptop nothing happens.

Honor Student
bob_c
Message 8 of 13 (41,534 Views)

Had same problem.  Bob Headrick's solution to provide network access worked great for me! 

Thanks

Student
IrnBruBoy
Message 9 of 13 (40,892 Views)

Bob,

Thank you for the post, I had been looking everywhere for a solution and your quick and concise explanation got me printing again.

Appreciatively!!

Jim

Student
Jerm78
Message 10 of 13 (40,634 Views)

Thanks Bob, You rock

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation